2 votes (33.33%)
1 vote (16.66%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

September 24th, 2014 at 10:43:35 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Ayecarumba
I don't think you'll regret that decision.

Would it be cheaper to buy the individual components and assemble them yourself?

Prior to the overseas bank ripoff, you were considering a car purchase for Mrs. Wizard. Did that get taken care of? If not, maybe Mrs. Wizard would be more open to a new uni for you if her ride got upgraded before yours.
Given the recent news regarding the sale of the WoV empire, I take back everything I said. Buy the unicycle of your dreams. In fact, get one with two wheels, just because you can!
September 25th, 2014 at 12:58:13 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Given the recent news regarding the sale of the WoV empire, I take back everything I said. Buy the unicycle of your dreams. In fact, get one with two wheels, just because you can!
Like this two-wheeler ?
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
September 25th, 2014 at 9:01:48 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: miplet
Like this two-wheeler ?

Haha... My first thought.., "Why?"

How about this one? Guy's in suits ride them!
December 28th, 2014 at 3:05:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
December 28th, 2014 at 6:56:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Set a new distance record today at 31 miles. Here is the Strava entry. 1,000 feet of elevation net elevation gain too.

Quote: Fleastiff
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/people-try-an-electric-unicycle-for-the-first-time/vi-BBhikDU?ocid=OutNUS

Electronic self righting unicycle: First Timers.

My new boss has one of these and let me try it in Sydney. Like the people in that video, I agree those things seem to have a mind of their own. I tried his for about ten minutes, with very limited success, and then the tire came apart from the wheel. I'm still not sure if it was my fault or was ready to come off to begin with. The tire was low on air, I might add.

I hope he doesn't read this, for fear of sounding ungrateful, but I would not recommend getting one of these things. Get a real unicycle and some exercise while you're at it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 28th, 2014 at 7:11:34 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
I'm still not sure if it was my fault or was ready to come off to begin with. The tire was low on air, I might add.

If a typical bike tire, then rest easy. Even beaded tires, like those on a vehicle, come off the rim easy when used at low pressures. A bike tire has little to no bead at all. You can pull off soft one off the rim with just your fingers.

It wasn't your fault.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 28th, 2014 at 7:24:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
CNN has a story on electric unicycles. Apparently part of the UK postal service is using them in a trial

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/tech/airwheels-electric-unicycle/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 29th, 2014 at 6:43:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
CNN has a story on electric unicycles. Apparently part of the UK postal service is using them in a trial

Speeds up to 12 mph,no protection from the elements, requires some skill, no protection from getting hit by a car yet kind of fast for a sidewalk.

I would think that these devices might be of limited use on the crowded sidewalks of Manhattan, but would be ideal for downtown Boston, Miami, Seattle. I don't know how they would handle hills in San Francisco and San Diego.

London has a lot of streets closed to automobile traffic, so they may work well there. I would think they would be more appreciated than bicycles in historic cities.
December 29th, 2014 at 9:54:16 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
I know the USPS experimented with Segways shortly after they debuted, but abandoned them due to problems with operating them with a load.
The biggest worry I would have is what happens after the charge is depleted. It is not like you can stop at Taco Bell to refuel.
December 30th, 2014 at 12:01:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
How about this one? Guy's in suits ride them!

The magic wheel costs $249 and is not electric powered. So it doesn't have a gyroscope. It's designed to not muss up your clothes, but you still have to balance and provide your own power.

It seems to be unavailable. I suspect that guys in suits want something that is powered, and guys who aren't wearing suits are just as happy with unicycles or bicycles.
Page 3 of 3<123