What the spruik?

September 19th, 2014 at 3:59:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
spruik VERB

It would seem this is a very common verb in Australia and New Zealand, first seen in writing in 1916. Have you ever heard it before? Can you guess it's meaning?

Although the 777X is almost seven years away from takeoff, Boeing will soon start spruiking the jet to airlines in the hopes of landing big orders – especially from current 777 stalwarts such as Emirates, United Airlines, Singapore Airlines, ANA, British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

A sort of a business presentation, but with some implication of a carnival barker.
September 20th, 2014 at 12:55:52 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Nope never heard of it.
September 20th, 2014 at 1:32:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yes, I believe I posted on WOV something about it, but can't quite remember now.

Its meaning in New Zealand is probably the same but I believe its currently a VERY big term in Australia where legislation about it is a hot item.

As I recall its a combination of touting and barkerism and would include such things as doormen soliciting passersby to enter nightclubs, or to watch sporting events as well as making claims about the events or the contenders. Its particularly difficult when electronic amplification is used by adjacent businesses blaring onto the sidewalks enticements for persons to enter the premises.
September 20th, 2014 at 1:49:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ah..... here it is: Its use as a major part of a tv commentator's remarks during a sporting event.

Quote: FleaStiff
For those who enjoy becoming educated whilst slurping their morning coffee: I offer the term SPRUIKING as it relates to gambling in Australia.

Bookie Tom Waterhouse to testify regarding broadcasting of odds in live sports competitions.

The most interesting part was my introduction to the term Spruiking which is best translated into American English as Touting. Ordinances in the downtown business districts of Australia often regulate businesses that hire persons who stand outside their doorway and announce bargains to be had, a situation where touting is illegal but spruiking is legal if the speaker is licensed.

And here it is as a national Australian TV issue for spruiking during sporting events: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/industry-to-seek-ban-on-spruiking-of-odds-in-games-20130523-2k42f.html
September 21st, 2014 at 2:57:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It will never catch on here, it sounds
too much like somebody's last name.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.