Atlas Shrugged III -- what were they thinking?

Page 1 of 212>
September 22nd, 2014 at 7:31:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Went to see the final part of the Atlas Shrugged series tonight. Actually went Saturday night but a broken projector got me a comped ticket for tonight. It was a noble effort on the part of the producer, but it fell way short.

As a recap I liked Part I even if the critics hated it. It was a little rushed, but a lot of material to cover. To be sure it was not the best movie of all time, but it has to be measured by the indie standards that it was.

Part II was much better. It had several good scenes and a decent pace. It was as if the producer learned from their mistakes.

Sadly, Part III regressed. Part of the problem is that there is just so much material in the book. The thing could be 8 hours long and still not cover it all. Lillian Rearden doesn't show up at all despite having a role in the book. Hank, my favorite from Part II, is nearly absent. The casting is the weakest of the three films. I really just didn't care for how Galt was cast.

I have now seen it, but Part III will be like "Oceans 12" to me, a weak link in an series I otherwise enjoyed.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2014 at 4:36:42 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Ayn Rand ranted and railed her whole life against Social Security and Medicare, calling those participating in them "moochers" and the programs themselves "tantamount to slavery".

However, when her 2 pack a day cigarette habit laissez-faired her into lung cancer, she spent her last years collecting benefits. Because principles are all well and good until you are confronted with real life.
October 8th, 2014 at 5:28:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mosca
Ayn Rand ranted and railed her whole life against Social Security and Medicare, calling those participating in them "moochers" and the programs themselves "tantamount to slavery".

However, when her 2 pack a day cigarette habit laissez-faired her into lung cancer, she spent her last years collecting benefits. Because principles are all well and good until you are confronted with real life.

She had her money stolen to provide the benefits so I have no issue with her using them. If we could "opt out" of the tax and the benefit alike then that will separate the men from the boys. Last time it was even partially suggested the left-wing went bananas.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2014 at 6:38:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
She had her money stolen to provide the benefits so I have no issue with her using them. If we could "opt out" of the tax and the benefit alike then that will separate the men from the boys. Last time it was even partially suggested the left-wing went bananas.

So other people were moochers, but in her case it was stolen from her, so that gave her the right to use it.

Hmm. Something doesn't add up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2014 at 6:56:21 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman

This is really fascinating. I am somewhat familiar with Ayn Rand.
I had no idea she collected benefits and died from cancer.
So I googled and wow, lots of sites discussing this.

Too be honest AZ , the prevailing opinion is she died quite wealthy. In fact some of the pro Ayn Rand sites actually question the amount of benefits she received because she died wealthy.
Do you have a link regarding money stolen. Could be, seems a lot of open questions regarding her life.
On the flip side, the pro Ayn sites argue that if you pay in, its alright to take out.
A fascinating tidbit that I don't know is true. One site claimed she was a life long smoker and did not believe the govt was telling the truth regarding smoking causing cancer.
Very intelligent women but smoking, well, obviously not that smart.

My father was a huge Rand fan. I actually got 1/3 of the way through Atlas Shrugged then put it down. I was a young teen, preferred the fun Heinlein and Asimov books :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 8th, 2014 at 7:07:13 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Rand's ideas would work only if human beings were game pieces. But they are not, they are people. It all falls apart when you start loving and caring about others.
October 8th, 2014 at 9:25:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Rand's ideas would work only if human beings were game pieces. But they are not, they are people. It all falls apart when you start loving and caring about others.

You might consider reading her philosophy rather than the propaganda against it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 8th, 2014 at 9:59:14 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined

Do you have a link regarding money stolen. Could be, seems a lot of open questions regarding her life.

She considered, I believe, taxation to provide benefits for others as stealing and theft.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 9th, 2014 at 12:17:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

Too be honest AZ , the prevailing opinion is she died quite wealthy.

Very few authors die wealthy. Hemingway didn't.
Tolkein didn't. The list of famous authors that
didn't die wealthy is longer than your arm. I'm
sure Rand is among them. I doubt if Heinlein
or Asimov died truly 'wealthy'. Now King and
other pulp mill writers, they're the ones that
hit the jackpot.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 9th, 2014 at 3:41:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman

She does not say you cannot love or care about others. Read "Atlas Shrugged." The theme is that the *government* is not supposed to decide who gets what. When you take from one person "for the public good" then that person will sooner or later say, "screw it, I quit." As enough people do this, society collapses.

The book also argues that when those who produce have to get permission from those who produce nothing then we are doomed. This is where we are today. For example, want to start a business? Just wait until you see how many permits and permission you need. Want to hire people? You must pay a certain wage and give them health insurance (after a certain point.) Then there are businesses they try to regulate to death. Before an exemption was carved out the government tried to shut down African hair-braiding salons. John Stossell showed a pedicure service where fish picked the dead skin off your feet, government said "NO" in various states. Every few months we hear of a kid's lemonade stand getting shut down. You can find examples all day.

Rand devotees do care about people, just as most conservatives do. A great example is Romney gave at least as much of his income to charity as Obama even though the later was more in the public eye and never stopped bragging about how much money he made. It is just that Rand fans want it to be via personal choice, not government looting of their money.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>