I Hate Birthdays

Page 1 of 3123>
September 23rd, 2014 at 11:17:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Birthdays are a huge cause of stress in my life and something I really don't understand.

Firstly, I don't want anyone of my friends to know or acknowledge when it is my birthday. To me it is just another day. I am not interested in celebrating, taking a day off, eating cake, opening presents, etc. I tell my wife to get me a card just to acknowledge that she remembered and do nothing else. I have a few female friends that really want to make an event of everyone's birthday and continue to do it after being asked not to.

Secondly, I hate other peoples birthday's more than mine. I find it very stressful when obligated to buy birthday or holiday presents. I gladly give cash or gift cards, but too often I hear that it isn't appropriate. How am I supposed to know what to buy people? Heck, I live with my wife and don't know what to get her. My wife has a birthday coming up and we are going to take a trip because that is what she wants for her birthday. The problem is we are also having a big dinner in a private room at a steakhouse here in Vegas before we go away for the trip. This dinner will probably have 20 or so friends that will all probably bring presents. I have a feeling that if I don't also buy my wife a present or two to open that she will feel hurt. I have no idea what to buy her. We are very spoiled and tend to buy almost everything we want that is reasonably priced. How many times can a guy keep buying necklaces and bracelets until they no longer have a special meaning. It has been made very clear to me that appliances and houslehold items are not appropriate. I have no fashion sense so me picking out clothes is out of the question. What is left for me to do? I hate this stress.

Sorry for the rant.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 23rd, 2014 at 11:57:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'm with you. After age 18 they should be just another day. I was asked when mine was by one boss and told her but said don't anything. Got laid off before it came around. Ironically I started at that job on my birthday.

At another job it was a co-worker asked birthdays and I forget what else. I didn't give my birthday. She asked in person and said I could keep the year a secret. I said she could have the year. So she says wouldn't I like to come in and see my cube decorated and glitter all over my desk and have cake. I said that was exactly why I didn't want to say. She said I was some kind of loner. I came I and worked not giving a peep.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:01:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
So do you need suggestions for a birthday present for your wife to de-stress?

Let's see, ones that I have used.

Buy a spa treatment.
Buy a Fitbit or something like that.
Buy a book a month membership.

Guess the Shamwow rag is out.

yeah, I hate shopping for gifts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:12:18 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I agree, celebrating birthdays is dumb. It's just another day.

For that matter, I also think that celebrating the new year is equally dumb.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:20:02 PM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Beethoven

+10

Never could get my head around that one.

Birthday celebrations were invented by women to give us guys more stress. :-)
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:32:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Ya know, I got so tired of trying to give shit about all these special events, I don't even care if it gets me a blowjob on my birthday anymore.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:33:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: chickenman
+10

Never could get my head around that one.

Got to be alcoholics who came up with a reason to celebrate New Years. Or Weekends. Or Dawn of a new day. Or just the next hour. Pot heads haven't remembered to come up with a holiday yet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:35:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Got to be alcoholics who came up with a reason to celebrate New Years. Or Weekends. Or Dawn of a new day. Or just the next hour. Pot heads haven't remembered to come up with a holiday yet.

4:20 every day is a holiday man.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:37:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Beethoven
I agree, celebrating birthdays is dumb. It's just another day.

2 or 3 of the past 5 years I have had house gigs dealing so enjoyed the cash. Otherwise I'm in bed early like usual.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:42:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I used to buy my wife 3 times more than was
needed just so there would be something
she didn't have to return. About 10 years ago
I started using gift cards and she loves them
far more than anything I bought her. Use cards
from places that have a good selection of
stuff and you can't go wrong.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 3123>