I Hate Birthdays

Page 2 of 3<123>
September 23rd, 2014 at 4:05:28 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
So do you need suggestions for a birthday present for your wife to de-stress?

Let's see, ones that I have used.

Buy a spa treatment.
Buy a Fitbit or something like that.
Buy a book a month membership.

Guess the Shamwow rag is out.

yeah, I hate shopping for gifts.

Thanks for the suggestions. A spa treatment is out because she does that every other week now. I had to Google a Fitbit. There is no way that would go over well as a gift for her. "What? are you saying I am fat and need to work out more?" She is already the Amazon book queen regularly spending over $100 a month in books. Again, the problem is that we are already pretty spoiled and buy whatever we want. I wouldn't doubt if she has bought a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff online already this week.

I love the Sham-wow idea, but I would probably get kicked in the balls when she opened that.

It has to be a "meaningful" gift that took much more thought than just shopping the "As seen on TV" aisle at Walgreens.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 23rd, 2014 at 4:26:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I used to buy my wife 3 times more than was
needed just so there would be something
she didn't have to return. About 10 years ago
I started using gift cards and she loves them
far more than anything I bought her. Use cards
from places that have a good selection of
stuff and you can't go wrong.

My favorite gag on women returning things is the comic strip "Drabble" and the mother finds a hidden gift and looks at it. When Ralph comes to wrap it he sees the switch and says, "I can't believe she returned a gift I haven't even given her yet."
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2014 at 4:58:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
Thanks for the suggestions. A spa treatment is out because she does that every other week now. I had to Google a Fitbit. There is no way that would go over well as a gift for her. "What? are you saying I am fat and need to work out more?" She is already the Amazon book queen regularly spending over $100 a month in books. Again, the problem is that we are already pretty spoiled and buy whatever we want. I wouldn't doubt if she has bought a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff online already this week.

I love the Sham-wow idea, but I would probably get kicked in the balls when she opened that.

It has to be a "meaningful" gift that took much more thought than just shopping the "As seen on TV" aisle at Walgreens.

On a more serious note than my first thought.

My wife and I would already get somthing if we wanted it so I know your pain about shopping.

My wife said acknowledging is important. So the obligatory card. Then as far as she is concerned flowers or something edible.

I came up with the idea of one of those Harry and David "fruit of the month"gifts. I had them delivered to where she worked. All the girls would ooh and ahh about how romantical my wifes guy must be. It worked out so well that the next year I got her the plant of the month and every month at work some exotic plant would be dilivered to her desk, and hopefully bloom.

I got to share the fresh fruit, it was great.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2014 at 5:27:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
They do suck. I'm on the cusp of lucking out; my boy's is just 7 days after my own. I've managed a few times to be indisposed on my own, forcing a sort of "joint party" that lets mine slide under his unnoticed. But my mom is not easily pushed aside, and almost always crams my own personal celebration in there somehow.

If it wasn't my mom doing this, I'd lose my mind.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 23rd, 2014 at 5:53:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich

Tough nut to crack, eh?

How about this. Buy the latest greatest tablet. (you could skip that, if you don't think it's necessary)

Hire these these guys or similar. (different name obviously) Give to her, Cue video.

You could give it to her anywhere, because they will be on youtube, recording or Vevo.

If you want to make it extra special, have one of them holding the usual jewelry you give her, but bring out the real thing right afterwards.

Don't know what else to make it more special. Live fireworks and dead Elvis?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2014 at 6:34:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
My favorite gag on women returning things is the comic strip "Drabble" and the mother finds a hidden gift and looks at it. When Ralph comes to wrap it he sees the switch and says, "I can't believe she returned a gift I haven't even given her yet."

Women do not like getting things they don't
need or don't like. Gift cards are wonderful.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 23rd, 2014 at 7:17:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
need or don't like.

Not just women.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 24th, 2014 at 2:49:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
need or don't like. Gift cards are wonderful.

A simple difference between women and men:

If you get a guy somenting that plugs in he will think it is a cool item, if you get a woman something that plugs in she will not talk to you.
The President is a fink.
September 24th, 2014 at 4:46:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
She said I was some kind of loner.
In junior high I used to accuse people of being "some kind of people person".
September 24th, 2014 at 5:18:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
In junior high I used to accuse people of being "some kind of people person".

At recess I used to usually kind of stay off to myself. The teachers and sometimes priests would ask me "what was wrong." I just wanted a break, some solitude. They never got that it. Seriously, I almost got in trouble for not wanting to socialize.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>