unhelpful product placement

Page 2 of 3<123>
November 7th, 2012 at 3:50:16 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
What is driving me crazy is television shows that break all semblance of normal dialogue to begin raving about Subway fast food, to praise Twizzler's licorice, or begin showing off the feature in their automobile. It makes me not only remember, but not want to buy these products to punish the company.

I totally agree. In a detective crime drama I am fond of, the two main characters suddenly started discussing the GPS feature of the car. Weird, infomercial vibe.

In another show, a car manufacturer is the, "flagship" sponsor, and even gets a 15-sec. pop during the broadcast to recap their brand in action shots that were part of the show. I don't know if the actors get extra compensation for appearing in these "ads" culled from the show, but would be curious to learn how the finances work. Oddly, the manufacturer's cars are often blown up, crashed, or shot at during the show, so I don't know how much say they have in the storyline.

This same show also features close ups of characters hands when they use their smartphones in order to highlight the OS. There must be some sliding scale of placement, since they don't do it everytime.
November 7th, 2012 at 9:02:11 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
What is driving me crazy is television shows that break all semblance of normal dialogue to begin raving about Subway fast food, to praise Twizzler's licorice, or begin showing off the feature in their automobile. It makes me not only remember, but not want to buy these products to punish the company.

Another reason to stop watching TV (if "Most of it is garbage," wasn't enough).
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 8th, 2012 at 12:40:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
Another reason to stop watching TV (if "Most of it is garbage," wasn't enough).

People are getting desensitized. I saw a comic-con panel where the fans were asking them about future product placement ideas for Subway along with other questions.

It is so funny how things have changed. It's my understanding that the writers of ET approached the candy companies for permission to use a product since they thought it was important for the story. The Mars company rejected them because they were afraid that the ugly creature might despoil their M&M marketing. Reese's Pieces was a new product which they were willing to take a chance with.

I was getting used to the passive product placement with all the labels prominently showing, but when they started changing the dialogue in ridiculous ways, it got truly annoying. In Skyfall, James Bond will drink Heineiken Beer instead of martinis. However, I don't think they will ruin the movie with excessive product talk. However, I miss him introducing a new BMW.

November 8th, 2012 at 11:30:49 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
In Skyfall, James Bond will drink Heineiken Beer instead of martinis.

HEINEKEN? FUCK THAT SHIT. PABST. BLUE RIBBON.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 8th, 2012 at 1:47:21 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Heineken is responsible for the buyout of Beamish & Crawford and subsequently pulling Beamish out of the U.S. Market, I will not consume a Heineken for as long as I live.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 9th, 2012 at 7:59:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
I totally agree. In a detective crime drama I am fond of, the two main characters suddenly started discussing the GPS feature of the car. Weird, infomercial vibe.

In another show, a car manufacturer is the, "flagship" sponsor, and even gets a 15-sec. pop during the broadcast to recap their brand in action shots that were part of the show. I don't know if the actors get extra compensation for appearing in these "ads" culled from the show, but would be curious to learn how the finances work. Oddly, the manufacturer's cars are often blown up, crashed, or shot at during the show, so I don't know how much say they have in the storyline.

This same show also features close ups of characters hands when they use their smartphones in order to highlight the OS. There must be some sliding scale of placement, since they don't do it everytime.

I think this kind if thing started in Latin America. I had an international marketing class where the book talked about how much more blatant placement was there than the USA at the time. I remember one example where a cowboy was chasing bad guys but stopped to shave everyday. With Dvrs commonplace get used to it.
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2012 at 8:06:48 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
MonkeyMonkey +1 "Just shut the damn thing OFF!"

AcesandEights +1 Heineken... in a friggin CAN???!!?? No WAY. Pass me a Pabst too.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
February 28th, 2017 at 12:50:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What is driving me crazy is television shows that break all semblance of normal dialogue to begin raving about Subway fast food . . .
May not be happening much anymore: Subway's Terriyaki Chicken in Canada tested at 42 percent chicken in dna tests. No word yet on what the rest of the stuff was, but it sure wasn't chicken.
February 28th, 2017 at 12:58:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
May not be happening much anymore: Subway's Terriyaki Chicken in Canada tested at 42 percent chicken in dna tests. No word yet on what the rest of the stuff was, but it sure wasn't chicken.

What meat is cheaper than chicken? I mean some chicken parts are more favored than others, but it's still chicken.

I suppose it could be some sort of filler material. It would still have to be cheap. Even plain old raw fiber is not that cheap.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 28th, 2017 at 1:35:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What is driving me crazy is television shows that break all semblance of normal dialogue to begin raving about Subway fast food . .

I demanded a refund after I got home
and found the sandwich they gave me
didn't at all resemble the sandwich
on the wall I ordered from. Not even
close, it was a joke. They gave me a free
sub, I never went back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 3<123>