old movies. Many men didn't trust women,
and a marriage was much harder to get out of
than it is now.

I remember as late as 1959 there was a movie
called Operation Petticoat where an navy guy
in his 40's said he hated women and would never
marry one. Along comes a woman who acts like
a man and he's smitten. You never hear men
say that anywhere now, but it's as true as ever.

Huh? I'd say the reverse is true. In the 1950s the married rate was an all time high and the about the only ones not married were priests any some career guys in he army. Today marriage is a modern time low.
The President is a fink.
September 24th, 2014 at 7:33:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Huh? I'd say the reverse is true. In the 1950s the married rate was an all time high and the about the only ones not married were priests any some career guys in he army. Today marriage is a modern time low.

In the 50's women were expected to be married,
not men. Bachelorhood was still a respected
state. Marriage is at a low point now, but there
is a stigma attached to never being married for
men over 40. I've had this discussion with several
women and it's definitely true.

See 'Mona Lisa Smile' on Netflix, it's all about
what was expected of women in the mid 50's.
Different world. My mom married my dad in
1948 because she was 23 and getting heat
from everybody about being an old maid. They
divorced in 67, it was inevitable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2014 at 9:09:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'd offer advice, but won't be of any help. As I've said before, women feel a certain magnetism around me. Unfortunately, it is the repelling kind.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 24th, 2014 at 10:32:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
marriage joke.

A husband comes home and yells "Honey, I won the 100 million dollar lottery! Start packing!"
Wife yells back excitedly, "What should I pack?"
Husband: "I don't care, just start packing and get the f*** out!"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 24th, 2014 at 10:35:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Consider Match.com. There is a new internet paradigm for dating. With so many career women nowadays there isn't time to meet others face to face. Dating sites cut out a lot of the hunting and sorting that was formerly the dating scene.

The other option is to go overseas. Members of the WoV community have found spouses internationally. I don't know how old they were though.
September 25th, 2014 at 2:29:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I'd offer advice, but won't be of any help. As I've said before, women feel a certain magnetism around me. Unfortunately, it is the repelling kind.

You probably are better off than me. I couldn't have "magnetism" in a woman's prison with a pocket full of pardons.

Quote: Ayecarumba

The other option is to go overseas. Members of the WoV community have found spouses internationally. I don't know how old they were though.

I'd actually do that and back in the 1990s sent a few letters back and forth. But since then the allure of being married dropped to near zero. I've heard of some of these that went well and some were disaster. I think the thing is if you find the hottie in her 20s when she gets here and waits out the two year requirement she may or may not stick around. The more average-looking ones will be more likely to stay.

IOW, be realistic. I saw on TV I think the guy killed the girl for leaving him or something. They showed tape and he was saying how much they loved each other yadda yadda yadda. He looked like some high school junior who could not stop pawing his woman all the time on camera. She had a look on her face that said, "get me out of here!" Near the end of the two years she stopped sleeping with him, said he was fat and ugly, which he was. IIRC this was the second time it happened with a MO bride to him.
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2014 at 4:39:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some Americans who travel to the Philippines in search of brides find their own graves instead.

The selling point for alot of these web sites is that the women are meek and obedient and will do anything as long as it sends a pittance to their families.

Whether these attitudes outlast the two year immigration period is problematical. As the two years approaches, there can be identity theft, child abuse allegations and suddenly the poor woman has a very good lawyer.
September 25th, 2014 at 11:33:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Some Americans who travel to the Philippines in search of brides find their own graves instead.

The selling point for alot of these web sites is that the women are meek and obedient and will do anything as long as it sends a pittance to their families.

Whether these attitudes outlast the two year immigration period is problematical. As the two years approaches, there can be identity theft, child abuse allegations and suddenly the poor woman has a very good lawyer.

Need to be careful where you search. I have met guys who were stationed there and they said if you shipped out single it was almost certain you would return married.

If you go the mail order route you take more chances. Best route I have heard is take a year to teach English or something. That way you are not seen as a total mark and can have more time to size things up.
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2014 at 12:28:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Need to be careful where you search. I have met guys who were stationed there and they said if you shipped out single it was almost certain you would return married.

If you go the mail order route you take more chances. Best route I have heard is take a year to teach English or something. That way you are not seen as a total mark and can have more time to size things up.

I once met a man who married a mail order bride, I believe she was phillipino. He said he was nothing less then amazed at how fast she turned into an american woman once she got citizenship.

Caveat Emptor
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 25th, 2014 at 12:43:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think you can still get dates off your local Craigslist. At least there is less mileage involved.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 4 of 18<1234567>Last »