Things that make you think "WTF??"

Page 3 of 5<12345>
July 5th, 2016 at 2:10:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Not making this up:

I took a call from IT to one of my coworkers. They told me he complained about not being able to receive email. So they sent him an email asking for more information.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 5th, 2016 at 2:22:54 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
So I just got an email from HR directed at the whole company saying that "the use of cell phones, either personal or company-issued, is forbidden within company offices or installations during the workday."

I can't wait for the next time one of the owners call me and I can't answer. "I'm sorry, but it's your own cockamamie policy, boss!" :)

Wow, no work cell phone use at work. That would make my life much simpler. I don't even have an office phone number on my business cards.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 5th, 2016 at 3:16:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Wow, no work cell phone use at work. That would make my life much simpler.

Mine, too. One week the SIM chip on my phone quit working. it was a peaceful few days at work.

Also, for some reason several coworkers have the annoying habit of calling my number when looking for someone else, be it my extension or my cell.

Oh, and the policy was rescinded after a couple of weeks. It was as stupid as it sounds. The remarkable thing is that someone noticed.
July 5th, 2016 at 6:19:01 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I used to work at a company where the President spent several thousand dollars of company money on a second coffee machine (identical to the first) because he didn't want to wait while someone else was making a coffee. The machines were right next to each other so I often wondered what he'd do in the inevitable situation when both were being used when he walked in to the kitchen.
April 24th, 2017 at 9:44:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Our current copier loves to say the scanner is busy when you wake it from sleep mode and want to copy or scan a document.

Busy with what??

The old copier was funnier. If you awoke from sleep and fed it a thick sheaf of copies, it would process the first, then proceed to warm up, then process the rest. WTF??
May 31st, 2017 at 12:56:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Today the Google App decides to inform me the temperature is 0 C and the conditions are freezing rain.

Really? In Mex-effing-City in May?

Ok, granted it cooled a bit from the high 20s-low 30s of recent days, and it was cloudy, and there was a very light drizzle. But the car's thermometer insisted on 17 C, which is warm for an early morning.
June 1st, 2017 at 7:32:02 AM permalink
Nareed
I got a free sample of mints today on the way to work. The first three ingredients listed are: sugar, honey and glucose syrup.

Glucose syrup? WTF is that?

The mints seem to be flavored "diabetic coma," regardless of that the package says.
July 6th, 2017 at 10:23:55 AM permalink
Nareed
I get to the office today and, as usual, I take my tablet to a coworker's spot to recharge it. Only the charger was gone. I swear I said "well, how inconsiderate of R. to take his charger without asking me." I meant it as a joke,.

But that's when I learned he was let go the day before.

I'd no idea.

I've still no idea why. No one at the office admits knowing, and he never said a word either about leaving or being on thin ice.

All I know is this:

A little over a year ago he underwent surgery and chemotherapy for some type of cancer. He was out for months, naturally. When he returned, he came only part time (though he stayed rather late some nights). he kept on that schedule until about two weeks ago. That's when he began to show up in the morning.

That's it. that's all I know.

WTF?
July 6th, 2017 at 10:55:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
The first three ingredients listed are: sugar, honey and glucose syrup.
I don't know about Mexican laws, but FDA regs make it better to use different terms that sugar, sugar and sugar. Obviously this will send your insulin levels up. Should I perhaps take this opportunity to remind you that an octopus stuns its prey by pumping insulin into the upstream micro current thus the insulin qualifies as a venom.
July 6th, 2017 at 1:38:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Well, R. showed up a few hours ago, without warning. he told me what happened. Man, it sucks. Worse that they just let him go without a few weeks' notice, given he's been working here for over 5 years. That's no way to treat a good employee.

He also offered to let me have his company-issued phone.

I was tempted. He got a model a step up from mine, with 16 GB internal memory. But 1) Gloria's still a better phone, 2) so I would still use her as the primary one and then IT would come and ask questions, 3) he surely needs to hand over the phone to IT anyway, and 4) rooting Misix has become a personal challenge.
Page 3 of 5<12345>