Quote: Nareed
I've no problem with pink and fuschia.

But the creepy kitten freaks me out :)

Come to the Dark Side!!!!

This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 11:37:06 AM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
There's nothing creepy about Hello Kitty. She's cute, iconic, and full of win.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 6th, 2012 at 12:08:28 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
There's nothing creepy about Hello Kitty. She's cute, iconic, and full of win.

I actually use the Hello Kitty style at another forum. Ever since my daughter was a baby and a nurse put a Hello Kitty bandage where she had gotten a shot I've been a fan. The boys all had been given Bugs Bunny when they were little and it was a nice little "attention to detail" thing.
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 12:45:00 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
I like using phpbb software, but I don't know how easy or hard it is to host or run as an administrator. It's customizeable so you can offer users a choice of colors and styles in their control panels and the formatting buttons are on the page when you're writing messages.

You can remove the emoticon options and add YouTube embedding and stuff like that. And that way you don't have to please everyone as far as color schemes go.
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 12:49:57 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Quote: FarFromVegas
I like using phpbb software, but I don't know how easy or hard it is to host or run as an administrator.

From what I've heard it is one of the most vulnerable to security exploits, I'd avoid it like the plague.
November 6th, 2012 at 12:59:37 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 72
hate this current light brown
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
November 6th, 2012 at 1:04:15 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
I like using phpbb software, but I don't know how easy or hard it is to host or run as an administrator.

From what I've heard it is one of the most vulnerable to security exploits, I'd avoid it like the plague.

They set it up to keep the GoogleBots out and membership has to be approved by an admin to keep away the spammers, but it's a very small group that uses it. I wouldn't think WoV could survive with it but a smaller subset might. Eventually, this place will grow, though.
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 1:16:06 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey

They set it up to keep the GoogleBots out and membership has to be approved by an admin to keep away the spammers, but it's a very small group that uses it. I wouldn't think WoV could survive with it but a smaller subset might. Eventually, this place will grow, though.

What you're describing (security precaution-wise) wouldn't stop many of the exploits I've heard of. I'm sure they've patched up many/most/all that I've heard of, but I haven't thought of phpBB as a serious forum alternative since all the SQL injection problems years back. At any rate, I'd consider Googling "phpBB security vulnerabilities" to see if it really fits your needs.
November 6th, 2012 at 1:23:40 PM permalink
FarFromVegas

What you're describing (security precaution-wise) wouldn't stop many of the exploits I've heard of. I'm sure they've patched up many/most/all that I've heard of, but I haven't thought of phpBB as a serious forum alternative since all the SQL injection problems years back. At any rate, I'd consider Googling "phpBB security vulnerabilities" to see if it really fits your needs.

Probably not, but it has a very useful search function, unlike this type.
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 1:28:54 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey

Probably not, but it has a very useful search function, unlike this type.

Searching is a tricky thing to code. IIRC, MySQL has some built in feature that helps, but it discards any word of 3 characters or less. The idea being to filter out "noise words" that would make the search even less useful. In short, it's hard to write a search function that suits everyone's needs.
Page 3 of 4<1234>