FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
Quote: FarFromVegas
I like using phpbb software, but I don't know how easy or hard it is to host or run as an administrator.

From what I've heard it is one of the most vulnerable to security exploits, I'd avoid it like the plague.

They set it up to keep the GoogleBots out and membership has to be approved by an admin to keep away the spammers, but it's a very small group that uses it. I wouldn't think WoV could survive with it but a smaller subset might. Eventually, this place will grow, though.

What you're describing (security precaution-wise) wouldn't stop many of the exploits I've heard of. I'm sure they've patched up many/most/all that I've heard of, but I haven't thought of phpBB as a serious forum alternative since all the SQL injection problems years back. At any rate, I'd consider Googling "phpBB security vulnerabilities" to see if it really fits your needs.

Probably not, but it has a very useful search function, unlike this type.

Searching is a tricky thing to code. IIRC, MySQL has some built in feature that helps, but it discards any word of 3 characters or less. The idea being to filter out "noise words" that would make the search even less useful. In short, it's hard to write a search function that suits everyone's needs.

I'd settle for better than telling me something's in the HotBlonde Challenge thread and leaving me to manually search 300 pages of posts, though...
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 2:13:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 313
I'd settle for better than telling me something's in the HotBlonde Challenge thread and leaving me to manually search 300 pages of posts, though...

Hear, hear!

Ideally it should direct you to the post(s) where the search term is located. I'd be satisfied with the page.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
November 6th, 2012 at 5:59:10 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0

I can certainly understand how that would be frustrating (having a harder time understanding why you'd be reading that thread to begin with, but I'm not here to judge...) but there are always trade-offs when creating functionality. Imagine if you searched for a term like "weight" in that thread, you'd still get 100's (1000's?) of useless results. I'm not saying the way it works is good or desirable, just that whoever designed it didn't see the problem (searching) the same way you do*. Perhaps some nudging would get JB's attention and more features could be added to filter down the results more to your liking?

* One thing I've seen a lot is when functionality is tested it's on a small subset of what the actual data might look like. So, for example, the database is loaded with 100 test records and functionality is tested... works great and it's super fast. Yay. Once in production and 10 million records are in the database no one likes how it works and it's slow.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
Page 4 of 4<1234