Windows 10 (aka Windows AE)

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
July 31st, 2015 at 7:03:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
A hasty scan of headlines today found a few instances of the number 14 million. That is, an estimate that about 14 million machines now run on Windows Apology edition (aka Win10). No idea how many of these are MS insiders who were already running the preview.

I have a machine in the MS insider program, my old laptop, running the preview. I'll boot it up this weekend and see whether I get the release version. While this goes on, i need to make backup/restore media for the other two PCs.

And someday I need to do something about the old Vista desktop PC. I think perhaps keeping Vista installed might make it appreciate as a museum piece someday. consider, very few were sold, and many of those were "downgraded" to WinXP. Mine could wind up being the world's only Vista PC :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 2nd, 2015 at 5:49:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-02/surveillance-state-goes-mainstream-windows-10-watching-logging-everything,

Not only that, I am told it cheats on playing hearts
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 3rd, 2015 at 6:30:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: petroglyph
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-02/surveillance-state-goes-mainstream-windows-10-watching-logging-everything,

Not only that, I am told it cheats on playing hearts

I get a broken link.

I haven't checked, but word is Solitaire is included as freemium content. I suppose it might include Hearts.
August 3rd, 2015 at 12:54:55 PM permalink
Nareed
I got a link working from another site, coincidentally.

I'm terrified MS will be able to market products to me (she said with a straight face).

Seriously, all you need to do is run a local account rather than an MS account. It's not that hard (Google it, though, because it's not that obvious, either). You won't be able to run the Windows Store Apps effectively, or at all, and Cortana won't work. <shrug>.

On an unrelated, religious question: will the Apple be able to sue me if I name a computer assistant "Iris"? Seriously, it's the name that came to mind, and it's a real name. If I begin to worry too much, I'll rename her "Ivis." Close enough.
August 3rd, 2015 at 1:09:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

Something weird in the eithers, I tried putting this one up earlier and it wouldn't stay?

Somewhere every keystroke is recorded, but I am not intentionally doing anything illegal that I know of.

I don't like the marketing at all.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 3rd, 2015 at 1:16:37 PM permalink
Nareed
You can also always do this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

It does recommend a local account, like I said.

Of course, apple and Google already collect such info from your iphone and ios devices, or your Android phone or devices.
August 3rd, 2015 at 1:55:04 PM permalink
Nareed
The other thing you can do is never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, click on any online ad, mobile or desktop, rain or shine, day or night, in sickness or in health, for as long as you live. After all, much of the point of all this incessant data collection is marketing. If ads stop working, what point in collecting data.

Me, now, I do click on online ads I find of interest now and then. Though I won't in annoying websites which take forever to load (usually because of the half trillion ads placed in it).

If you find an ad of interest, not the name of the company and Google it.

Of course this is like trying to bail on the Titanic using an eye-dropper...
August 3rd, 2015 at 3:35:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and for now let them see everything to see how bad it might get. I will keep everyone updated.

I only ran 8.1 for a couple of days on my new computer before my reservation became ready but as a tried and true mouse guy I found some things very awkward. Many of my dislikes have been solved by 10. Overall I think I like it but of course my old computer was running Vista and I didn't mind it either so I am probably not a typical user.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 3rd, 2015 at 4:13:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
I only ran 8.1 for a couple of days on my new computer before my reservation became ready but as a tried and true mouse guy I found some things very awkward. Many of my dislikes have been solved by 10. Overall I think I like it but of course my old computer was running Vista and I didn't mind it either so I am probably not a typical user.

Did you miss my years-long rant against Win8(.1)(Update)? The thing cannot be run on a laptop or desktop without either a start menu replacement, or a powerful desire to throw the computer away.

I've been running my new laptop, on and off (mostly off) for months with Start8, or as I call it: Windows for Windows 8. I'll switch it to Win10 by October, when the first major update is scheduled for.

As for Vista, it was insufferably slow, a resource hog, and the license thing got very annoying at times when you actually wanted to install something. I ran it on my old desktop for many years. But there was nothing at all wrong with the interface.
August 3rd, 2015 at 5:52:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My new laptop came with 8.1 so I had no choice. That is why I got 10 as soon as I was able.

I learned right away with Vista that lots of software would only run properly if opened with Admin. which solved the majority of the early compatabilty problem.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>