Windows 10 (aka Windows AE)

Page 7 of 7« First<4567
August 3rd, 2015 at 5:52:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My new laptop came with 8.1 so I had no choice. That is why I got 10 as soon as I was able.

I learned right away with Vista that lots of software would only run properly if opened with Admin. which solved the majority of the early compatabilty problem.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 4th, 2015 at 6:27:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
My new laptop came with 8.1 so I had no choice.

Not that it matters, but there were plenty of choices: Start8, Classic Shell, and I think there are a dozen more out there.

Quote:
That is why I got 10 as soon as I was able.

That was a good choice. That is, getting rid of Win8(.1) (Update), more so if you don't have a start menu replacement.

BTW, if you can't get along with Win10, and I've seen a few things I really dislike, there is always <drumroll> Start10. Seriously, it is a thing and for sale for only $5.

I wish, though, it included shortcuts to fix the many annoyances of the Win7/10 desktop (it's essentially the same desktop). Like pinned programs, the miniature windows and such. I think I've mentioned before I know plenty of people who've been running Win7 for years, who tell me they miss WinXP's interface.

Quote:
I learned right away with Vista that lots of software would only run properly if opened with Admin. which solved the majority of the early compatabilty problem.

I don't recall that being much of an issue, except at first. I think it was fixed with a service pack or something? I even ran plenty of Win95 vintage shareware programs I had been running for years (I still have some, in fact). But it was still a resource hog and slooooow.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 6th, 2015 at 6:30:53 AM permalink
Nareed
My desktop PC displayed the prompt to upgrade yesterday. I can upgrade any time I want now.

I'll wait 'til at least mid-September or possibly October, that's when the Big Update is scheduled for.

I may be more daring with the new laptop, if I can make a restore thumb drive for it. I've read you can go back from the upgrade for thirty days without external media, but that's always a risky proposition.

The latest number of Win10 PCs I saw was about 65 million.
August 18th, 2015 at 1:22:09 PM permalink
Nareed
By today Windows 10 (Apology edition) has been augmented with three, that's 3, cumulative updates. That's one per week since launch.

With all that, I've decided to upgrade the Asus laptop, if available, next weekend. I figure enough issues have been dealt with. Besides, all I've got installed in it is Office. All relevant data on it is also on my desktop PC.

Finally right now it runs Win8.(1)(Update), which means it cannot possibly be ruined :)
August 31st, 2015 at 6:52:51 AM permalink
Nareed
I ran the laptop on Saturday and it's finally showing I can upgrade.

Between electrolysis sessions and cooking, though, I forgot about it. Maybe next weekend.

I wonder if I should uninstall Office 365 before upgrading? That and the Norton AV are the only software I've installed in it as yet.
August 31st, 2015 at 7:22:38 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I haven't been having any particular issues with Windows 10 and the learning curve was wasn't as steep as I thought it might be. I still wanted to run Outlook so I purchased a copy of Office 2013. Don't like the idea of the cloud or paying a monthly fee.

The only thing I haven't been able to get up and running is my Simply Accounting 2009. Hoping I will find a way to get it running as it appears it should be possible but what I have read on the forums so far is not working for me.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 31st, 2015 at 7:59:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
I haven't been having any particular issues with Windows 10 and the learning curve was wasn't as steep as I thought it might be.

I tried the early preview builds, but have yet to try the final release. From what I've read, I think I'll install Start10. I think I get it free for having paid for Start8. If not, it's still only $5.

I think I'll uninstall Office and reinstall it after the upgrade, if only because I want to see if it will install in English rather than Spanish.

Quote:
Don't like the idea of the cloud or paying a monthly fee.

Neither do I. But I like the idea of "free" upgrades. In essence it's a deferred payment.
July 3rd, 2016 at 8:07:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
A more important note abut Windows 10 concerns updates. For the consumer version, updates will be automated and the user won't have any say about them.

A Seattle woman successfully sued Microsoft for $10K over problems with an unwanted W10 upgrade. She bought a new computer with the money.
July 4th, 2016 at 6:24:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
A Seattle woman successfully sued Microsoft for $10K over problems with an unwanted W10 upgrade. She bought a new computer with the money.

Was covered here: http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/189/25/#post54940

But I wonder if she was able to get a new PC not running Windows 10? Win7 is hard to come by these days. And if you're going with Win8, then you must not need a computer at all.
Page 7 of 7« First<4567