5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

October 17th, 2014 at 4:26:34 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
A biking article I read addressed the problem of riding to work and sweating. It claimed as long as you had bathed recently, sweating alone doesn't make you stink. They said, just towel off was good enough once you cool down.

It is true that sweat is largely odorless. Rather it's the byproduct of the bacteria that feeds on sweat what produces the smell of grilled onions, fried bologna, and chicken soup.

The problem with toweling off is, well, toweling off. Mopping your brow or the nape of your neck is easy peasy. But those types of bacteria don't really thrive in the open air conditions of these parts. It's places that remain warm, dark, and damp that really gets the microbes cooking. Armpits, fat rolls, nether regions. Sure, remove the moisture, remove the smell. But how easy is it to mop up swamp ass in an office setting?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 17th, 2014 at 8:29:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Some sweat does stink. I loaded trucks with
guys who stank so bad nobody would work
with them. Remember the episode of Seinfeld?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 19th, 2014 at 2:34:38 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Go for it Wiz - happy bday!
October 19th, 2014 at 9:24:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: aceofspades
Go for it Wiz - happy bday!

The Wizard cannot edit his own Wikipedia page. So before his 50th someone should upload a decent personal photo of him and it won't get deleted by the 'bots. I tried to put this one in about three years ago, but it was deleted as a copyright violation (even though I got it from the Wiz).

Any publicity photos that are posted somewhere else on the web cannot be used.
October 20th, 2014 at 9:44:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
The Wizard cannot edit his own Wikipedia page. So before his 50th someone should upload a decent personal photo of him and it won't get deleted by the 'bots. I tried to put this one in about three years ago, but it was deleted as a copyright violation (even though I got it from the Wiz).

I'd be happy to give you a recent one, taken just for you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 21st, 2014 at 12:03:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I did about 16 miles today in 2.5 hours. That would come to a speed of 6.4 miles per hour. I think I could do better. I was on my mountain unicycle, it was rather hot, and the route was a bit hilly (but has as much as my last long ride).

At that speed it would take 7.8 hours to do the 50 miles challenge.
October 21st, 2014 at 4:01:31 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
I did about 16 miles today in 2.5 hours. That would come to a speed of 6.4 miles per hour. I think I could do better. I was on my mountain unicycle, it was rather hot, and the route was a bit hilly (but has as much as my last long ride).

At that speed it would take 7.8 hours to do the 50 miles challenge.

The currently agreed upon course is 52 miles... At that rate it would take 8.125 hours to complete the course. Since it is fairly flat, it should be very close.
October 21st, 2014 at 4:35:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

Okay, Paco, I had about 50 pictures of me taken of me this afternoon. I posted what I felt where the ten best here. Please, everyone, have a look and vote.
October 22nd, 2014 at 9:14:43 AM permalink
jml24
Threads: 0
I am new to this thread but am sure you will be able to complete the 50 miles. I am an endurance cyclist and 50 miles is a short ride for me. In terms of physical effort, the unicycle should be equivalent to a fixed gear bicycle with that is geared very low. That combined with the physical and mental demands of balancing the unicycle will make it harder than a regular bike, but I find it hard to believe it is more than twice as demanding as a coasting two-wheeler. A 100 mile ride is very doable by anyone in decent shape on a regular bike.

If you had to complete the entire 50 miles without dismounting once, that would make the bet quite a bit more interesting. I could ride a bike 50 miles without putting a foot down, no problem, as long as I did not encounter any obstacles that required me to stop. I am guessing this would be considerably more challenging on a unicycle because there is no way to rest at all without dismounting.
October 22nd, 2014 at 2:17:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: jml24
I am new to this thread but am sure you will be able to complete the 50 miles. I am an endurance cyclist and 50 miles is a short ride for me. In terms of physical effort, the unicycle should be equivalent to a fixed gear bicycle with that is geared very low. That combined with the physical and mental demands of balancing the unicycle will make it harder than a regular bike, but I find it hard to believe it is more than twice as demanding as a coasting two-wheeler. A 100 mile ride is very doable by anyone in decent shape on a regular bike.

If you had to complete the entire 50 miles without dismounting once, that would make the bet quite a bit more interesting. I could ride a bike 50 miles without putting a foot down, no problem, as long as I did not encounter any obstacles that required me to stop. I am guessing this would be considerably more challenging on a unicycle because there is no way to rest at all without dismounting.

Thanks for your encouragement. I did a century (100 miles) when I was in my early twenties. It was in the Simi Valley area, which is very hilly. That was quite an ordeal. I was also a lot younger then. With all due respect, I think all other things being equal, I'd put the equivalent riding a bicycle at 2.5 times the distance.

I took the day off from the unicycle today and went for a short run instead (about four miles).