2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

November 5th, 2014 at 3:09:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
It's a shame you can't get a sensor with moving average data.

I probably could. Is there an app that can do that?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 5th, 2014 at 7:29:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

It's difficult to tell, since I think of a moving average in the sense of a list of 15 minute averages, (or 10 minute or 30 minute), so you can take out the hilly times. Ideally it would simply download a complete data set of points (average 70 rpm)*(200 minute ride)=14K points and let you look at the raw data in a spreadsheet.

It seems that "moving average" in cycling forums refers to a computer that drops out the times when you are "not physically moving". That seems fairly stupid as you could pretty much do the same thing with a stopwatch to count your rest time.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a time trial on a flat course after a 2 hour, then a 3 hour, then 4 & 5 hour rides to see what kind of cadence you can manage. But psychologically you are likely to put out for the time trial and it may not be representative of your speed on a flat.

Of course, none of this matters a lot if you don't intend to do the California ride with shorter cranks or a bigger wheel. I suspect you just have to train on the hills, and see what happens in May.
November 5th, 2014 at 8:08:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard

We need an app that can look up what the other apps can do ;)

Seriously, I'd look at cycling apps, GPS apps and even look up "unicycle" in the app store.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 5th, 2014 at 8:38:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Seriously, I'd look at cycling apps, GPS apps and even look up "unicycle" in the app store.

There are dozens of apps for iphones and or dedicated computers that measure what you are doing at the moment.

The problem with a unicycle is some don't have handlebars (I do not know what Wiz is using)

The best sensors can download a complete profile for your entire run, so that if you do the same track more than once you can do a direct comparison on the hills and flats.
November 5th, 2014 at 9:52:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Thread in 2008 for someone who planned to do 50 miles on his 50th birthday

The rider was successful (didn't list a time) but he used 36" tires and 125 mm cranks.

Terry Peterson started unicycling seriously in his late 40's, and has kept at it in the last 8 years and turned it into a mini profession.

November 5th, 2014 at 10:12:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
There are dozens of apps for iphones and or dedicated computers that measure what you are doing at the moment.
The problem with a unicycle is some don't have handlebars (I do not know what Wiz is using)
The best sensors can download a complete profile for your entire run, so that if you do the same track more than once you can do a direct comparison on the hills and flats.

Wireless. put the bicycle computer in your pocket :-)
My bike has a wireless bicycle computer.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 5th, 2014 at 11:10:35 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Stick a GPS watch on your wrist, go cycle, stick data up on Strava. Or another online workout mapping software. These often have Grade-Adjusted paces. So you can link the hills to the slower parts.

If you wanna get fancy you get cadence monitors for a bike too.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 5th, 2014 at 11:28:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
If you wanna get fancy you get cadence monitors for a bike too.

With a unicycle with no gears there is an exact one to one correlation between cadence and speed.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/08/garmin-announces-partnerships-with-leading-fitness-applications-strava-mapmyfitness-and-endomondo.html#.VFp57HW98u9
November 5th, 2014 at 11:45:52 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

Was this a, "drink two liters of water, then unicycle" race? Why the, er, "unusual" hand positions?
November 5th, 2014 at 11:49:00 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

Of course... but it might be something that gets recorded more accurately than speed (as that is distance/time, which relies on the accuracy of the gps, not a direct link to the pedals).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life