5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

November 5th, 2014 at 5:23:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I will look into apps that can hopefully track speed and distance traveled. Another problem is that the streets here in Summerlin are generally curvy and I have to roughly estimate distance.

Quote: Pacomartin

Note how they position their hands. It looks like they are protecting their nuts but I think it is to cut down on wind resistance. I'm going to have to try that.

In other news, I'm starting to worry that eight hours won't be enough. It is possible that I'll buy and use a 36" wheel unicycle. If that happens I'll concede the bets I made that were based on a 29" wheel, but will still consider it a moral victory if I'm successful on any unicycle.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 5th, 2014 at 6:44:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I think it is to cut down on wind resistance. I'm going to have to try that.

In other news, I'm starting to worry that eight hours won't be enough. It is possible that I'll buy and use a 36" wheel unicycle. If that happens I'll concede the bets I made that were based on a 29" wheel, but will still consider it a moral victory if I'm successful on any unicycle.

I think you are correct about the wind resistance. It may also help reduce any unnecessary energy wasting motion.

Terry Peterson (the unigeezer) said that he averages 25% faster on a 36" than on a 29". As the wheel is 24% bigger, that makes sense

The 125s would be way more efficient as you will spin faster with less wheel wobble, and less fatigue. He recommends dual hole cranks so when riding on flatter sections you can simply change to the shorter crank holes. As you would expect, it is harder to keep your balance, so you have to train on the shorter cranks before May.

It would be a less costly solution to buying a Coker and you won't have to concede the bet before you even try. Of course even cranks can be expensive:
Cranks Dual hole - Mad4One ISIS for Unicycle 125/150mm 189€,
Kris Holm Moment Double Hole Cranks $170, and
Spirit double hole cranks $115
November 5th, 2014 at 7:57:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think they can pedal harder by pulling themselves or holding themselves down onto the seat.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 5th, 2014 at 11:49:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Over flat, rough terrain holding the seat helps to stabilize the unicycle laterally. Oftentimes, there is intense pressure on one pedal and not the other, causing the unicycle to veer in one direction. Holding onto the seat allows you to counteract that lateral motion and continue in a straight line.
November 6th, 2014 at 3:51:47 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I think you are correct about the wind resistance. It may also help reduce any unnecessary energy wasting motion.

Terry Peterson (the unigeezer) said that he averages 25% faster on a 36" than on a 29". As the wheel is 24% bigger, that makes sense

The 125s would be way more efficient as you will spin faster with less wheel wobble, and less fatigue. He recommends dual hole cranks so when riding on flatter sections you can simply change to the shorter crank holes. As you would expect, it is harder to keep your balance, so you have to train on the shorter cranks before May.

It would be a less costly solution to buying a Coker and you won't have to concede the bet before you even try. Of course even cranks can be expensive:
Cranks Dual hole - Mad4One ISIS for Unicycle 125/150mm 189€,
Kris Holm Moment Double Hole Cranks $170, and
Spirit double hole cranks $115

I checked and I currently have 137-165mm dual hole cranks, set on 137. My black 29" unicycle I keep at my mom's house is evidently 137mm only.

So, yes, I will switch to shorter cranks. That should help.

p.s. Just ordered 110/127 dual hole cranks. It should take about a week for them to arrive.
November 6th, 2014 at 9:05:13 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...He recommends dual hole cranks so when riding on flatter sections you can simply change to the shorter crank holes...

How easily/quickly can the cranks be changed? There is a time component to the challenge.
November 6th, 2014 at 9:09:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin

So, yes, I will switch to shorter cranks. That should help.

p.s. Just ordered 110/127 dual hole cranks. It should take about a week for them to arrive.

As far as changing the terms of the competition, betters should understand that no change in equipment (except gears) comes without penalty. Larger tires and shorter cranks create balance issues which much be learned.

Logically 137mm to 110 mm cranks should mean you pedaling circumference is reduced by 20%. You may get a little less wasted energy in pulling the unicycle side to side. Of course you may take a nasty fall as it will be harder to balance.

There is no saying that you will get the maximum 20% improvement in speed, as you still have to do the work.

From what I see on posts riders sometimes build up muscles on flats with short cranks, and then psychologically they do much better on hills with longer cranks. One unicyclist made up 40mm cranks on a 36" cycle hoping to get near a theoretical maximum of 40 mph. He couldn't ride it, as he had no control.
November 6th, 2014 at 10:35:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
How easily/quickly can the cranks be changed? There is a time component to the challenge.

I think you mean how quickly could I adjust the pedals to the other holes in the cranks. Assuming they aren't screwed in too tight, just a few minutes. However, I've noticed that just the process of riding tends to screw the pedals in tight, making them hard to remove.

What I plan to do is replace the cranks and set the pedals on the 127mm holes. Once I get used to that, I'll try 110mm.
November 6th, 2014 at 11:29:19 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I think you mean how quickly could I adjust the pedals to the other holes in the cranks. Assuming they aren't screwed in too tight, just a few minutes. However, I've noticed that just the process of riding tends to screw the pedals in tight, making them hard to remove.

What I plan to do is replace the cranks and set the pedals on the 127mm holes. Once I get used to that, I'll try 110mm.

If that is the case, can you simply drill holes in your current cranks and save the money?
November 6th, 2014 at 12:04:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
If that is the case, can you simply drill holes in your current cranks and save the money?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_(mechanical)

They are spline joints (not just holes)