New offerings for VOD on demand service using just internet

Page 2 of 2<12
October 17th, 2014 at 11:39:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
CBS skews to an older audience, the same ones who are least likely to use this service. Something is up.

I don't think CBS is trying to be revolutionary. Netflix is trying to upset the business model.

CBS has a division called "local broadcasting" which owns is composed of
*) CBS Television Stations, the 30 owned broadcast television stations, and
*) CBS Radio, through which the Company owns and operates 126 radio stations in 27 U.S. markets
*) Local Websites which combine the Company's television and radio local media brands online

The CBS television stations are in 14 markets, and they also have a collection of CW and MyNetworkTV stations

Last year they made $2.696 billion dollars. Those 14 markets consist of 32.7% or 37.3 million of the TV households. Divide $2.696 billion by 37.3 million by 12 months and you get $6.02 a month.

CBS is only selling VOD "all access" subscriptions in those 14 markets where it owns the TV stations. So if it can sell 2 million subscriptions per year, that $200 million annually, which would give them the best increase in many years in "local broadcasting". That division across all networks is pretty stagnant so even two hundred million increase without upsetting the current business structure would be a welcome increase.

My brother has no cable TV, and we can't get CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX over the air because of intervening hills. I told him about this offer, and he said (No NFL!, Who would want that!).
October 17th, 2014 at 1:16:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
My brother has no cable TV, and we can't get CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX over the air because of intervening hills. I told him about this offer, and he said (No NFL!, Who would want that!).

One more non-playoff season will put the Steelers back into the doghouse as far as TV is concerned. Right now a Steelers game is shown almost every week. Next year few will be, aside from Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights. If that happens I may get the NFL Sunday Ticket through my cable company, if they offer it (I'm not getting Sky TV).

What I really need is a hack or something to access the VOD options on the internet available in the US. Preferably something free and easy to set up.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 28th, 2014 at 9:07:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I saw this list of Over the Top TV channels. Has anyone tried some of them.

Amazon Amazon Prime USA, Canada
Amazon Amazon Video on Demand USA, Canada
Hulu Hulu, Hulu Plus USA, Canada, Japan
Netflix Netflix USA, Canada, UK, Ireland

América Móvil Ora.TV Mexico
Apple iTunes Global
BBC iPlayer UK/USA/Canada/Australia/EU
Blip Blip USA
Blockbuster Blockbuster on Demand USA, Canada
Break Media Break.com Global
Coinstar Redbox USA, Canada
Connect TV Connect TV USA, UK
FlixFling FlixFling USA
France Telecom DailyMotion Global
Google YouTube Global
IAC/InterActiveCorp Vimeo USA
KoldCast Entertainment Media KoldCast TV Global
MetaCafe Inc. MetaCafe USA
Microsoft Zune USA, UK, Japan
Neulion JumpTV Canada
OpenFilm OpenFilm USA
Qlipso Veoh USA
Time Warner HBO Go USA, Canada
Viacom USA, Canada
VideoSurf VideoSurf USA
Vudu Vudu USA, Canada
Yahoo! Yahoo! Screen Global

Alliance of Hitachi, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba AcTVila Japan
Amazon Love Film UKBBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five, BT, TalkTalk, Arqiva YouView UK
Best Buy Cinema Now USA, Canada
Burda Sevenload Germany
Channel 4 4oD UK
Videolog Videolog Brazil
Usen Corp GyaO Japan
Usen Corp Show Time Japan
Ustream Ustream Japan
Quickflix QuickFlix Australia
Sky Now TV UK
Softbank Yahoo JP Japan
Tesco Blinkbox UK
Google You Tube Japan
ITV ITV Player UK
Culture Convenience Club Tsutaya TV Japan
Discovery Communications Hub TV UK
Dixons Group KnowHow Movies UK
Gazprom Media RuTube Russia, Commonwealth of Independent States
MyVideo Broadband SRL Jus Romania, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium
Page 2 of 2<12