Pope Francis

May 25th, 2018 at 12:33:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:
For a woman to be a priest is therefore as impossible as it would be for a man to be a mother.

That's really a terrible comparison. It's physically possible for men and woman to perform most of the same behavior, whether they can physically perform all biological functions.

There's a whole host of functions to being a parent outside of birth. The true test is a double blind. Could priests tell which child was raised by only a father or fathers or mother or mothers without being able to ask the specific questions?

I say overall, they'd have no clue. But they are free to prove me wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 25th, 2018 at 12:43:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It is a miracle, Evenbob actually presented an excellent

It's excellent because it's the excuse
men have always used to keep women
in their place. They are inferior because
of their sex. No women priests has nothing
to do with the apostles being all men.
Women had no rights 2000 years ago, they
were looked at as property, barely a step
above slaves. Not much has changed in
the Church in that regard.. There were no
female rabbi's either, until well into the
21st century either.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2018 at 1:24:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Hey Bob don't put your view of women on the Church.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 25th, 2018 at 1:27:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Hey Bob don't put your view of women on the Church.

The quote I posted that you liked
says it, not me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2018 at 7:27:42 PM permalink
FrGamble
I didn't see anywhere in the quote where it was negative towards women as you so often are. Again congrats on finding and sharing a decent quote. Whatever site you found that one on you might want to keep using it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 25th, 2018 at 7:36:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine
That's really a terrible comparison. It's physically possible for men and woman to perform most of the same behavior, whether they can physically perform all biological functions.

There's a whole host of functions to being a parent outside of birth. The true test is a double blind. Could priests tell which child was raised by only a father or fathers or mother or mothers without being able to ask the specific questions?

I say overall, they'd have no clue. But they are free to prove me wrong.

Pointing out that men and women are different is just an easy way to try to justify discrimination and force roles onto people.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 25th, 2018 at 7:39:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
I didn't see anywhere in the quote where it was negative towards women.

Seriously?

"As a man his sexuality matters.. Offensive to some and incomprehensible to others. I also fully understand that many would consider this teaching out of date or even oppressive to women."

You really see nothing wrong here.
This is exactly the same excuse men
ALWAYS use to keep women from
having the same rights as men. The
accident of birth. They can't vote or
own property or drive or own a
business or smoke in public or be a
priest because they aren't a man?

That makes sense to you??? Of course
it does, you're a priest, you belong to
the oldest all mens club in the world.
May 25th, 2018 at 8:27:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'll tell you what doesn't make sense - you comparing the Church's teaching on the Sacrament of Holy Orders to saying women can't own property. Seriously, how do you connect those dots in your mind? Is being a priest a fundamental right? What excuse is the Church teaching that you say men always use to keep women from having the same rights as men? The Church teaching is women are equal to men in their dignity and worth. That they have equal rights given to them by God and no one can take them away. How is having a male only priesthood that sacramentally represents Jesus Christ the High Priest against women's rights? I can find obvious insults and offense from how you speak about women, but for the life of me I cannot see how a male priesthood would lead anyone to denying women the right to vote?

The author you quoted was right this seems incomprehensible to you. I get that. Just don't go presenting straw men extremes.
May 25th, 2018 at 9:21:07 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
http://www.catholicsforchoice.org/issues_publications/women-reproductive-rights-and-the-church-2/

So much of this has been gone over before.

Quote:
Augustine’s view of women was worsened by Thomas Aquinas in the 13th century by the appropriation of Aristotle’s view of gender. For Aristotle and Aquinas, women were intrinsically inferior, being produced biologically as incomplete human beings. This meant that women could never represent normative humanity. For this reason Christ had to be a male in order to represent normative humanness. This also meant that women could not be ordained, since they could not represent Christ. Women were also excluded from leadership roles. They lacked autonomous humanness and thus had to be always under male authority.

Quote:
Women’s place was in the home, Catholic bishops argued, and their female nature would be debased by such rough masculine activities as voting. In 1930 Pope Pius XI condemned women’s emancipation as undermining the divinely founded obedience of the wife to her husband and a false deflection from her true and sole role as mother and homemaker.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 25th, 2018 at 9:35:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think Christ's understanding and treatment of women is much better than the opinions of Augustine and Aquinas and Pius XI. I reckon many bishops and priests opposed the suffrage movement and many supported it. The influence of the Church was so small in the 1920s I don't imagine it made much of a blip on the radar screen. I bet nuns who were given authority to run huge convent cities and vote and were educated long before society would allow any of these things were totally for a women's right to vote. Why shouldn't everyone have what they already enjoyed.