Pope Francis

May 28th, 2018 at 1:56:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
The Church has always been run by sinful men, thank God there is a Holy Spirit.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 28th, 2018 at 2:10:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
So you have nothing to add that Jesus also never built any physical ornate churches? Why doesn't the Pope forbid it since Jesus never actually did it. Oh sure he respected them as he did women, but if the point is he never did something you can't allow it.

And one thing I know about Mary, a human, is you only appointed humans to be apostles who are gone, and no human to represent all that respect you supposedly have for Mary. If the nuns are it, they certainly need one equal to the pope.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2018 at 2:16:32 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
I am amazed that you believe the Church ever taught that woman is not created in the image of God. Your very biased source is doing you wrong and you should probably look at some other sources as well. In fact I think your link claiming such erroneous teachings influenced by their biased views admits the decree it came from is not official Church teaching and never was. Disappointing and surprising that you would believe it.

I do believe that Popes can be in error and certainly theologians and philosophers can. When you take the culture of the time especially it only makes the fact that the Church never did officially teach some of the things the theologians and philosophers of the ancient world and that time period were promoting an astounding fact.

[edit: I meant to say also that you have to be careful in presenting the argument as "only a man can personify Jesus". That is close to a straw man argument. While many people might wrongly characterize the priest as personifying Jesus, that is not the case. Anyone can and should personify Jesus. It is making Jesus Sacramentaly present that is at issue.

That "very biased site" has extensive excerpts from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decretum_Gratiani which was the church canon law from the 12th century until 1918.

You can dismiss sites like that all you want - of course they have an agenda - but in this case they are using the canon of the church. I didn't make up the words, the site didn't make up the words, they were from a book that for a time was considered the collection of church law. The book itself may not have been an official church publication, but it contained them!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 28th, 2018 at 2:27:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm not dismissing the website only acknowledging that it needs to balanced out, as you know and have done. The decree is what I am dismissing as any official document of the Church approved by the Pope. This is obvious if the document says something against Church teaching for thousands of years. I've never studied it myself and maybe I heard of it in some history class, but trust me you nor any website should be using it as Church teaching.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 28th, 2018 at 3:02:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
but trust me you nor any website should be using it as Church teaching.

Only Vatican approved material may
be used, right? I love it when the
Church talks about 'balance'. You
can find books on diaries kept by
priests during the Inquisition's and
the Church squeals in indignation and
anger that they aren't 'balanced'
because the Vatican doesn't get to
include their rewrite of history in
them. Oh well, sometimes the truth
gets out despite their best attempts
to quash it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 28th, 2018 at 3:07:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Please don't pretend you care at all about balance or truth.
May 28th, 2018 at 3:31:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Please don't pretend you care at all about balance or truth.

I care about history, what does balance
have to do with anything. History isn't
about balance, it's about what happened,
they way it happened. The Church wants
to editorialize it's history, not report it.
Sorry, you don't get to do that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 28th, 2018 at 3:44:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
History is a search for truth. You have shown over and over again you are only interested in history that you want to believe. An unbalanced and prejudiced view of history. Just look at your sources and ask yourself if they are balanced or have a certain agenda to push that you buy hook, line, and sinker.
May 28th, 2018 at 4:24:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
FrG.... I have read the last gazillion pages of this thread..... If I was you I would answer the question of why there are only male priests this way.....

Because that is the will of God. I can only make a guess as to why that is, but I can't know the answer for sure. But it is not because women are inferior. It might be because women are needed to bear children and would not be able to perform priestly duties while also being mothers. No one thinks man is 'inferior' to woman because man cannot bear children. Just that God made man and woman different, not one superior or inferior.

I actually don't believe what I wrote, by the way. I tend more to agree with EvenBob, that the Church has always been male dominated (as was society in general) and the Church has not changed with the times as fast as the overall developed world society has.
May 28th, 2018 at 4:32:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
Good answer SOOPOO hopefully that will satisfy Evenbob.