this a few months ago.

Why don't the nuns report them?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 13th, 2018 at 6:13:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Why don't the nuns report them?

To who? It's all a closed circuit family.
Plus, the nuns, from my understanding,
don't fraternize with priests much, if
you know what I mean. They are peobably
the last to know what some priests do
with kids.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 13th, 2018 at 7:15:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
To who?

To the bishop. If he doesn't do anything, the police.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 14th, 2018 at 12:15:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I think it was run by the locals, but they collected stuff from all over the place. I think I hear the cue for Paco's entrance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
Most of the manuscripts date from as early as the Mali Empire. Musa I (c. 1280—c. 1337) or Mansa Musa was the tenth Mansa, which translates to "sultan", "conqueror", or "emperor", of the wealthy West African Mali Empire. He is by some accounts the wealthiest man who ever lived.

As I understand the Mali libraries were personal collections, and not one comples like the Library of Alexandria, which eventually became the intellectual jewel of the ancient world. At its peak it may have included over 500,000 papyrus scrolls containing works of literature and texts on history, law, mathematics and science. The great library’s demise is traditionally dated to 48 B.C., when it supposedly burned after Julius Caesar accidentally set fire to Alexandria’s harbor during a battle against the Egyptian ruler Ptolemy XIII.
November 14th, 2018 at 12:31:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
People go into teaching or the cops or the priesthood for a reason... often that reason is some perversion, often it is not... but there is always a reason.

There does not seem to be any cure and there does seem to be an inheritance component to pedophilia..

Priests and schools tend to cover up and transfer for societal and financial reasons.

One school district took elementary school children to a nursing home and a little girl got raped but the teachers did not call the police or the mother and pretty much hoped the crying would stop and the kid would not say anything too promptly. The school had to pay 8.5 million to avoid a jury trial.

Under therug is a place for a lot of societies ills.
November 14th, 2018 at 12:58:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Is there a policy in the church that a minor and adult should never be in the same place alone? When I worked at a summer camp for troubled teens, we had such a policy, although it was extremely difficult to enforce 100% of the time. The thinking, which I agree with, was they should never be put in a situation where it was the kid's word against one staff member's over anything. There should always be at least one witness to anything, especially of a discipline nature.

Despite this policy, there were still shananigans going on. None involving me, but some of it was quite scandalous. I've been meaning to write something about it for years.

Yes there is such a policy as well as extensive background checks and training for all volunteers and of course employees. The bishops finally got serious about these policies in 2002 and the results have been good. The next steps are to establish a lay board to report bishops, because they are at the top of the food chain and previous reports against them would be silenced. Another step is to establish a strict code of conduct for the bishops that anyone can hold them accountable to.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 14th, 2018 at 2:21:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
The bishops finally got serious about these policies in 2002 and the results have been good. .

GOOD?? Are you joking? Do you
pay any attention to any news except
the lying swill the Vatican rams down
your throat?

Good god..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2018 at 6:08:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If you read the grand jury report you will find that after 2002 there were 2 cases of abuse by priests, where the priest was immediately removed and authorities were contacted.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 15th, 2018 at 1:17:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
where the priest was immediately removed and authorities were contacted.

And how many weren't reported and
nothing happened? Almost all of them.
And how about the rest of the world,
where this stuff goes on unabated.
Or does the Vatican only care about
the kids in countries that get the
most publicity. Silly question that
answers itself..
December 19th, 2018 at 8:02:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
500 Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse Not Yet Publicly Identified by Catholic Church

Here we go again. As soon as a state
investigates pedo priests seriously,
they find the problem is far worse
than the Church ever admitted. It's
beyond shameful how these god
people have treated the victims
of it own employees.

The cover ups are extraordinary. In
most cases, nothing at all was done
to help the victims once they came
forward. You have to ask, what the
hell is this goddam church? It's
seems to be chock full of fakes
and phonies, only there to take
advantage of young people, while
those in charge (the ones not doing
it too) turn a blind eye.

If it's 500 unreported, you know it
has to be far more, probably over a
thousand. I like how one bishop
calls this a 'dark' time in church history,
Like this hasn't been going on like
gangbusters for 1000 years. It's dark
for the church because they're getting
caught now, the jig is up.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-illinois-attorney-general-catholic-priest-abuse-20181219-story.html
Page 51 of 52« First<4849505152>