WTF With the Steelers?

Page 1 of 212>
October 27th, 2014 at 10:07:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wish I could figure out what's up with the Steelers this season.

On the one hand, they beat the Texans squarely in two minutes in the second quarter by capitalizing on their opponent's mistakes. On the other hand, the offense performed superbly against the Colts, with Big ben wracking up 522 yards and 6 (six), count 'em six (6) TDs and no interceptions. And yet I kept wondering in the third quarter "will 42 points be enough to win the game?" And nearly it wasn't. the game ended when Luck ran out of his name and gave up a safety through a penalty.

WTF gives?

In part there are defensive problems. yesterday the offense performed very well, scoring 42 points. But the defense allowed a ton of points. if you see Luck's stats, you wonder how they lost the game (because their defense was even worse).

But it's not just that. The offense rarely performs this well.

Or maybe Roethlisberger has been abducted and replaced by a professional quarterback.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 27th, 2014 at 11:02:42 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
Or maybe Roethlisberger has been abducted and replaced by a professional quarterback.

How so? He has two superbowl rings, and Buzz tells me he's a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 27th, 2014 at 11:27:10 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
In the words of guard Ramon Foster, "The rest of us started playing up to his [Roethlisberger's] level."

Regardless, I was watching with my dad, and when it was 42-10 we both said, "That's not going to be enough points." It would have been, but still. We've seen enough Steeler football over the last few years.

Keep in mind, though, this was the Colts, and they have one heck of a good offense. IMO the Steeler defense looked pretty good other than Cortez Allen, whose best technique involved a referee intoning, "Prior to the pass..." and a 5 yard 1st down, rather than a 38 yard reception.
October 27th, 2014 at 11:29:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
How so? He has two superbowl rings, and Buzz tells me he's a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame...

Evidently sarcasm isn't self-evident on the internet ;)

Seriously, Big Ben is a good QB but hardly a good passer (not the same thing). He can lead the team but he can't carry it the way, say Marino or Elway could, He's faced worse defenses before, he's lacked an effective running game before (more so than now, like last year's was non-existent). IN short he played completely out of character yesterday.
October 27th, 2014 at 11:37:03 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
He's in the company of Manning, Brady, and Bradshaw now, and he stands alone as the only QB with two 500 yard games. He's played the meat of his career in a system that actually works against his strengths, first with Cowher and now with Haley, and in the other years he hasn't had any ground weapons except for Willie Parker briefly. IMO had he played for Belicheck he'd be way ahead of where Brady is now, and the Patriots would have several more SB championships.
October 27th, 2014 at 1:17:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mosca
IMO had he played for Belicheck he'd be way ahead of where Brady is now, and the Patriots would have several more SB championships.

Wow, that is a bold statement. I don't agree with you, and I watch every Steeler game, but I respect your opinion.

I just think the Hall of Fame is diminishing its significance by electing so many people. Although there is no easy way to compare players across decades, I think for someone new to be elected they should have to be "better" than 80% of the people already elected at their position.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 27th, 2014 at 1:22:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Colts had some key injuries. Lineman, Vontae Davis, and Linebacker, Erik Walden both went out with injuries... But even before that, it was clear that the Colts were having a hard time getting to the quarterback. Still, they managed to get within two scores, and were looking good due to turnovers until the momentum killing safety. Kudos to the Steelers for playing a game for the ages.
October 27th, 2014 at 2:20:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
He's in the company of Manning, Brady, and Bradshaw now, and he stands alone as the only QB with two 500 yard games.

That's odd. You'd think Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady or others would have done something like that already.

Quote:
He's played the meat of his career in a system that actually works against his strengths,

That is so. On the other hand, it would be so for any QB who gets hit and sacked that much.

[..] and in the other years he hasn't had any ground weapons except for Willie Parker briefly.

I'm sure Jerome Betis would beg to differ. ;)
October 27th, 2014 at 2:30:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I just think the Hall of Fame is diminishing its significance by electing so many people.

They elect only a handful each year. I think 6 or 8 or so. That doesn't seem like a lot, considering many wait years for the honor.

Quote:
Although there is no easy way to compare players across decades, I think for someone new to be elected they should have to be "better" than 80% of the people already elected at their position.

Well, that's hard to measure. consider Roethlisberger. His numbers aren't stellar, but he's won two more Super Bowls than Dan Marino (ouch) and one more, as yet, than Peyton Manning. And yet many QBs have won two (or more) Super Bowls: Bob Griese, Joe Montana, Eli Manning, Joe Theisman, Bart Starr, to name a few.

IMO Roethlisberger is assumed to be headed to the hall of fame. there's the 2 championships, the two 500+ yard games, his rookie season when he won all but one game, etc. He has a lot going for him. but then there was the incident that ought to have gotten him booted off the league... But nothing was proven. If something keeps him out, it will be that.
October 27th, 2014 at 2:48:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
They elect only a handful each year. I think 6 or 8 or so. That doesn't seem like a lot, considering many wait years for the honor.

I guess that is where we disagree. I just can't believe that 6 or 8 people a year can be considered in the "Best ever" in a sport. In my mind I am not sure I could justify even an average of one person a year.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>