WTF With the Steelers?

Page 2 of 2<12
October 27th, 2014 at 3:59:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

I just think the Hall of Fame is diminishing its significance by electing so many people. Although there is no easy way to compare players across decades, I think for someone new to be elected they should have to be "better" than 80% of the people already elected at their position.

280 individuals are in it as of right now, seems like a lot. Over 90 years it is only 3 or so per year, so in a way it is like many things that once done and done again it gets a bit of a "meh."

What with the Hall of Fame Game the NFL is not about to go like MLB and allow nobody to be elected some years. But worry not, the league is entering the twilight of existence at the rate it is going. In 40 years what is being played now will be like the bare-knuckle room in a Boxing Hall of Fame feels to us.
The President is a fink.
October 27th, 2014 at 4:01:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I guess that is where we disagree. I just can't believe that 6 or 8 people a year can be considered in the "Best ever" in a sport. In my mind I am not sure I could justify even an average of one person a year.

You get plenty of commentary and top 10 shows on NFL Network that this or that player, some well-known and some not, isnot in the Hall of Fame. I've never seen one where they complained this or that player is in the HoF.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 27th, 2014 at 4:19:20 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
You get plenty of commentary and top 10 shows on NFL Network that this or that player, some well-known and some not, isnot in the Hall of Fame. I've never seen one where they complained this or that player is in the HoF.

You are right. I am definitely in the minority.

I do hate the fact that the HOF is voted on by sports writers. I think they should just leave it up to me. I will be fair and unbiased and make sure that each position is represented in equal proportions. We definitely need more punters in the HOF.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 27th, 2014 at 4:27:12 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
That's odd. You'd think Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady or others would have done something like that already.

That is so. On the other hand, it would be so for any QB who gets hit and sacked that much.

[..] and in the other years he hasn't had any ground weapons except for Willie Parker briefly.

I'm sure Jerome Betis would beg to differ. ;)

I didn't write it well. In the years with Cowher (and Bettis) he wasn't in a system that played to his strengths; he was even called "game manager". Then, he was cut loose, but Bettis was retired. He had a few years with Parker, but Parker was either 1 yard or 36.
October 27th, 2014 at 4:30:41 PM permalink
Nareed
I do hate the fact that the HOF is voted on by sports writers.

Yeah, they should have one additional position open every year for the fans to vote in their favorite (pardon me while I run for cover...) ;)

Quote:
I think they should just leave it up to me. I will be fair and unbiased and make sure that each position is represented in equal proportions. We definitely need more punters in the HOF.

Oh, so close! If you'd said "more tight ends," you'd have had my undying support. :)
November 3rd, 2014 at 8:32:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Ok. soundly defeating the Ravens may prove it's not some sort of fluke.

I just can't believe it. I mean, they struggled against the Jaguars, nearly lost to the Texans, and lost tot he Browns. Then suddenly Big Ben is throwing 6 TDs and no interceptions on two consecutive games? I can't help but look for a white rabbit with a pocket watch...
November 4th, 2014 at 7:40:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Next week the Steelers visit the NY Jets. Given their respective records, and how Pittsburgh's been playing the last two weeks, one expect a blowout of titanic proportions.

At least in the real world.

If the rabbit with the pocket watch has his way, though, the exact reverse may be true. Or perhaps the Jets will merely squeak by a win. maybe scoring an awfully long field goal with one second remaining.

On other news, the white rabbit insists over at the NFC the Cardinals have the best record in the Conference, and the Lions actually are atop their division.

I'll close with my favorite Alice quote from the movie:

Flower 1 "Did you ever seen an 'Alice' with a blossom like that before?"
Flower 2 "Come to think of it, did you ever see an 'Alice'?"
November 4th, 2014 at 6:19:48 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Ok. soundly defeating the Ravens may prove it's not some sort of fluke.

I just can't believe it. I mean, they struggled against the Jaguars, nearly lost to the Texans, and lost tot he Browns. Then suddenly Big Ben is throwing 6 TDs and no interceptions on two consecutive games? I can't help but look for a white rabbit with a pocket watch...

Well, they sat Cortez Allen, and that would make any team better.

I think we're seeing less side-to-side and more down the field passing. And Ben's getting rid of the ball faster when the pocket collapses, they now have a good dump off option with Bell. Also, both lines are playing with more intensity. I think that is because they are more confident in their assignments. On offense they've had three different line coaches in the last three years; Munchak is doing a good job of getting through to them, IMO.
November 9th, 2014 at 4:45:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Steelers, Jets, do I even have to ask?
Page 2 of 2<12