$974.80 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
$960.30 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
$939.90 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
$934.40 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
$896.90 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
$879.00 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
$796.70 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
$7,723.50

By some counts there have now been 130 films adopted from comic books. Many are from Marvel comic books like Spiderman, Xmen. The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is an American media franchise with 10 films so far (and 11 more announced) where the films are completely controlled by Marvel.

Collectively the franchise ranks below Harry Potter as the highest earning film franchise in history. James Bond might be the highest with 22 films if adjusted for inflation (but there is no way to adjust for the lack of a worldwide movie going audience).

Guardians of the Galaxy gave new hope that even with new characters a MCU film could be a massive blockbuster. So they are planning on introducing five new character sets (1)Ant-Man, (2) Doctor Strange, (3) Black Panther,(4) Captain Marvel and (5) Inhumans.

So with China gearing up with more and more theaters, what do you think these 11 new films could make? One estimate was $9 billion.
October 29th, 2014 at 9:59:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There's lots of money in DVD sales yet to come for Winter Soldier and Guardians. Technically, Spiderman is a Marvel character too, but the production deal with Sony makes it weird.
Should the X-Men and the earlier Marvel movies (remember Howard the Duck?, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, and the X-Men spin-off Wolverine?) all be added in? If you add them all up it has to be a huge chunk of change.
October 30th, 2014 at 7:50:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
There's lots of money in DVD sales yet to come for Winter Soldier and Guardians. Technically, Spiderman is a Marvel character too, but the production deal with Sony makes it weird.
Should the X-Men and the earlier Marvel movies (remember Howard the Duck?, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, and the X-Men spin-off Wolverine?) all be added in? If you add them all up it has to be a huge chunk of change.

List of films based on Marvel Comics has 35 feature length films making $15.228 billion at worldwide boxoffice (starting with Howard the Duck). The first 17 films (including Spider Man and X-Men) made $5.5 billion, after which Marvel decided it wanted to begin making it's own films rather than selling the characters.

Since Marvel started making films, other studios have cranked out another 8 films using characters already licensed (Spiderman, X-men, Ghost Rider, and The Punisher) which have made $3.5 billion.
October 30th, 2014 at 8:41:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I paid to see the Toby McGuire Spiderman movie. I then vowed not to spend an additional penny on any Marvel film again. I've kept my vow so far, though I managed to see Iron Man 1 & 2 on cable, The Fantastic Four 1 & 2 (well, most of 2 anyway) and an X-Men movie set in the 60s for some reason.

I'm seriously not impressed.

I think I prefer superheroes in animation. I've liked many of the animated Batman films, IN fact I think "Mask of the Phantasm" is the best batman film ever made. I've also watched many of the DC animated series, like the mid-2000s Justice League. Perhaps superheroes are so unrealistic, they make better sense as cartoons.

Oh, I loved "The Incredibles" and would like to see a sequel.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2014 at 9:14:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Oh, I loved "The Incredibles" and would like to see a sequel.

Pixar has promised sequels to The Incredibles and Finding Nemo. It would seem that there is more money in making sequels to Cars and Planes which adults can't bear to watch. But they have better merchandising potential.
October 30th, 2014 at 9:23:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Pixar has promised sequels to The Incredibles and Finding Nemo. It would seem that there is more money in making sequels to Cars and Planes which adults can't bear to watch. But they have better merchandising potential.

You're just saying that because the Elsatagirl diaphragm is creepy ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2014 at 9:52:18 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
List of films based on Marvel Comics has 35 feature length films making $15.228 billion at worldwide boxoffice (starting with Howard the Duck). The first 17 films (including Spider Man and X-Men) made $5.5 billion, after which Marvel decided it wanted to begin making it's own films rather than selling the characters.

Since Marvel started making films, other studios have cranked out another 8 films using characters already licensed (Spiderman, X-men, Ghost Rider, and The Punisher) which have made $3.5 billion.

The thing about China, is that there is very little regard for copyright protection there. Films are readily available on DVD even prior to international release. This piracy has got to temper their market. In addition, movie superplexes are going the way of Blockbuster Video stores. I am sure this same phenomenon has to be occurringing internationally as well. With large screen TV's, streaming interenet, and even Blu-Ray 3-D, all coming down in price, why spend $30 on a one time experience at the theater, when you can enjoy the film in the comfort of your own home?
October 30th, 2014 at 12:09:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
The thing about China, is that there is very little regard for copyright protection there.

Your comment applies to many countries, more so to Mexico. But the Chinese are enamored of big screen formats (like Imax) which cannot be reproduced at home unless you are very rich. People are paying over a milliion dollars for home IMAX theaters.

Americans are proving more immune to buying tickets for big screen and 3D formats. I have only ever seen one film in 3D (Pixar's UP), and one film in 3D IMAX (Avatar).

Those bootleg copies are often of very poor quality. So Transformers: Age of Extinction which cost $210m to make earned $245m in Northern America, and $301m in the Chinese boxoffice and another $540m in the rest of the world.

India has a huge movie business producing 1000 films per year, but they spent $10 million on Transformer tickets.

Britain was traditionally the largest foreign consumer of American films, but they tend to drive the box office over $100m only for James Bond, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings, Toy Story, Mama Mia, and Avatar. In general Brits spend less money on theater films than America and Canada, and they watch television more. Australians are avid movie goers, but there aren't many of them.
November 2nd, 2014 at 12:06:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Evangeline Lilly will be joining the MCU in Ant-man. I think if ant-Man can make it as a movie, then they can bring back Howard the Duck.