Oh, the legalities!

October 31st, 2014 at 8:16:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Copyright-wise, can I rip a DVD I bought and store it in the cloud?

I've no doubt a legally purchased copy is legal, and making a copy of it for my own use should be as well. But lately who knows.

See, one Drive is offering unlimited storage to Office 365 subscribers. I thought I might as well use it up. first, though, I'll upload every podcast I've ever downloaded. Then I'll see about DVDs. it strikes me it would be useful to keep them there, so they'd be available when I travel. Often when travelling I want to relax in my room for a bit before going to bed, but there's nothing on TV worth watching. That might be a good time to watch an ep or two of B5 on the tablet, or check out some of the special features.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2014 at 8:27:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Copyright-wise, can I rip a DVD I bought and store it in the cloud?

I've no doubt a legally purchased copy is legal, and making a copy of it for my own use should be as well. But lately who knows.

See, one Drive is offering unlimited storage to Office 365 subscribers. I thought I might as well use it up. first, though, I'll upload every podcast I've ever downloaded. Then I'll see about DVDs. it strikes me it would be useful to keep them there, so they'd be available when I travel. Often when travelling I want to relax in my room for a bit before going to bed, but there's nothing on TV worth watching. That might be a good time to watch an ep or two of B5 on the tablet, or check out some of the special features.

I think its ok, I've copied DVD's
But I copy onto a new blank DVD.
I dont use the cloud, is the cloud shareable?
A copy onto a new blank dvd isnt shareable over a network so that definitly is ok if copy is simply a back up.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 31st, 2014 at 8:49:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
I dont use the cloud, is the cloud shareable?

Yes. And Apple's has been hacked, too.

Quote:
A copy onto a new blank dvd isnt shareable over a network so that definitly is ok if copy is simply a back up.

Well, yes. Even if it wasn't, who's going to find out?
November 3rd, 2014 at 3:01:15 PM permalink
Nareed
I uploaded a bunch of Enrique Ganem "El Explicador" podcasts to One Drive last Friday. I forget how long it took, but it wasn't too long. When I'm done testing Win10, or when I copy the desktop's files to the laptop, I'll begin uploading the rest.

One problem is I haven't downloaded any podcasts since I got my tablet last year. I mean, not into the PCs. Therefore I'd have to get about a year's worth of Revolutions, The History of Byzantium, and Philosophy in Action first. or perhaps save them directly in One Drive, if such a thing is possible (it would save time).