Pot Legalized

March 1st, 2017 at 4:11:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno

The DEA insists that this statistic is misleading. The drug cartels are now growing in Colorado, rather than import weed across the border.

Probably true. Who wants to deal with a bunch of crazy Mexican cartel members when you can deal with a mellow local who probably takes more pride in his product. More than a few people are bringing some home from CO.
The President is a fink.
March 1st, 2017 at 4:42:49 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Probably true. Who wants to deal with a bunch of crazy Mexican cartel members when you can deal with a mellow local who probably takes more pride in his product. More than a few people are bringing some home from CO.

If pot were legalized in all 50 states, would Mexican cartels still have market share?

It's all conjecture, but my guess is that if it were legal in all 50 states Phillip Morris, Anheiser-Busch and RJ Reynolds would put the Mexican cartels out of business. Adios.

Quote: USA Today
This past summer, researchers poring through more than 80 million pages of previously secret tobacco industry documents found that Big Tobacco has long had interest in pot.

"Since at least the 1970s, tobacco companies have been interested in marijuana and marijuana legalization as both a potential and a rival product," researchers Rachel Ann Barry, Heikki Hiilamo and Stanton Glantz wrote in a June 2014 paper published in the Milbank Quarterly, which focuses on population health and health policy. "As public opinion shifted and governments began relaxing laws pertaining to marijuana criminalization, the tobacco companies modified their corporate planning strategies to prepare for future consumer demand.

"In many ways, the marijuana market of 2014 resembles the tobacco market before 1880, before cigarettes were mass produced using mechanization and marketed using national brands and modern mass media," they wrote. "Legalizing marijuana opens the market to major corporations, including tobacco companies, which have the financial resources, product design technology to optimize puff-by-puff delivery of a psychoactive drug (nicotine), marketing muscle, and political clout to transform the marijuana market."

Spokesmen for Altria Group (aka Phillip Morris) and R.J. Reynolds told USA Today that they don't have any plans to sell weed. They're lying, of course. Phillilp Morris just invested $20 million in Syqe, which manufactures cannabis inhalers. Syqe's other big investor? Snoop Dogg.
March 1st, 2017 at 4:50:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
If pot were legalized in all 50 states, would Mexican cartels still have market share?

It's all conjecture, but my guess is that if it were legal in all 50 states Phillip Morris, Anheiser-Busch and RJ Reynolds would put the Mexican cartels out of business. Adios.

To answer you have to define "legalize." Does it mean anyone can grow and sell small scale? Or does it mean regulated lets say somewhere between booze and cigarettes? If I can grow in my backyard for a few friends then the Mexicans are clearly crushed for the reasons I said earlier, crap product and dealing with crazies. Plus low margin. OTOH, if it is regulated and taxed like cigarettes, the cartels could find a smaller market there for them since many people will still not take the chance of a grow.
The President is a fink.
March 1st, 2017 at 4:55:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't really smoke the leaf anymore
Concentrates baby
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 1st, 2017 at 5:29:41 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
To answer you have to define "legalize." Does it mean anyone can grow and sell small scale? Or does it mean regulated lets say somewhere between booze and cigarettes? If I can grow in my backyard for a few friends then the Mexicans are clearly crushed for the reasons I said earlier, crap product and dealing with crazies. Plus low margin. OTOH, if it is regulated and taxed like cigarettes, the cartels could find a smaller market there for them since many people will still not take the chance of a grow.

I'm not sure I understand these scenarios you're describing. But illegal tobacco sales only exist in states with excessive taxation. If the politicians don't get too greedy with the taxes (not necessarily realistic, I admit) we could eliminate the cartels' marijuana market share.

March 1st, 2017 at 5:51:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I'm not sure I understand these scenarios you're describing. But illegal tobacco sales only exist in states with excessive taxation. If the politicians don't get too greedy with the taxes (not necessarily realistic, I admit) we could eliminate the cartels' marijuana market share.

What I am saying is you have to have a license to grow tobacco on all but a personal scale. If they use tobacco as a blueprint and and leave a sub-market for low quality product the cartels will still have an incentive. But it anyone can grow and sell, even to just a few friends, then the cartels get no market.

As to cigarettes, I called the NY and NYC taxes the "Mafia Full Employment Act."
The President is a fink.
March 1st, 2017 at 7:28:35 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I'd think buying garbage bags full of weed from the cartels would be like buying bathtub gin during Prohibition. Sure, it'll get you stoned, but you really don't know what you're buying. Here in Washington, all the growers are regulated so buyers know exactly what is contained in the package. We know THC levels, strains and whether it's sativa, indica or a hybrid between the two (and yes, there IS a difference). We know what region of Washington it came from and that no pesticides were used. You'd never know any of that from the cartels.

Prices are coming down, variety is going up, and new potshops are opening all the time. There are edibles if you're prone to cough while smoking bud. There are concentrates if you'd rather use a vaporizer (higher THC levels but no smoke, no fire, no coughing).
March 2nd, 2017 at 12:05:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy

Prices are coming down, variety is going up,

Going thru life stoned, the dream of
every 17 year old boy. Over 50 and
still stoned, the dream of every pot
head with half a brain left.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2017 at 6:04:40 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Going thru life stoned, the dream of
every 17 year old boy. Over 50 and
still stoned, the dream of every pot
head with half a brain left.

You drink a helluva lot more than I smoke, EB.
March 2nd, 2017 at 11:09:26 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
There's a pretty big industry here in BC in growing pot. I believe a couple of years ago the largest industrial, legal growers were just up the road from here, and they'd gotten plenty of investment from the US. Commercial Growers wanted to learn some of the techniques to eventually take business down south. If the product was legal and transportable into the US, I suspect there'd be at least some it exported from BC. Pot shops are everywhere here, and becoming more and more professional.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life