assisted suicide

Page 1 of 212>
November 3rd, 2014 at 10:23:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Should the state have the power to determine if you should be able to take your own life?

Five states have legal doctor assisted death with dignity laws.

So, other states say it is illegal for you to commit suicide. Who's right is it to make that decision?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/03/361094919/as-planned-right-to-die-advocate-brittany-maynard-ends-her-life?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=storiesfromnpr
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 4th, 2014 at 7:10:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
Should the state have the power to determine if you should be able to take your own life?

No.

Quote:
So, other states say it is illegal for you to commit suicide.

I've often wondered about that. how do you prosecute a successful suicide? It's not funny, but it shows how the government can render anything absurd.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 4th, 2014 at 1:33:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I've often wondered about that. how do you prosecute a successful suicide? It's not funny, but it shows how the government can render anything absurd.

In the old days suicides did not receive Christain burial so they were doom'd to walk the night, and for the day confined to fast in fires.

One person could make a batch of barbituates crushed in water and two glasses of pure water n identical glasses. Three friends could give the glasses to the sick person who drinks all three. Nobody committed murder or knowingly caused the death of the person. But since suicide is illegal than all friends assisted in a criminal act.
November 4th, 2014 at 1:46:20 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: petroglyph

Five states have legal doctor assisted death with dignity laws.

So, other states say it is illegal for you to commit suicide. Who's right is it to make that decision?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/03/361094919/as-planned-right-to-die-advocate-brittany-maynard-ends-her-life?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=storiesfromnpr

I think the answer is found in the value of a human life. Is it valuable enough that anyone who wants to take a life, even their own, is so far out of societies norms that the act is considered a crime?
November 4th, 2014 at 2:14:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
In the old days suicides did not receive Christain burial so they were doom'd to walk the night, and for the day confined to fast in fires.

Still, how do your prosecute it. The accused cannot face his accusers, nor can he assist in his own defense. Any trial would be patently unfair. trials conducted without the defendant, in-absentia, tend to be overthrown and retried, should the defendant be produced. Even then, the defendant doesn't show up because he has fled the jurisdiction. Dead people are rarely tried.

I wonder how many people believed they'd be affected by such punishment. A Christian would expect an eternity in Hell to begin with.
November 4th, 2014 at 2:18:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

I think those laws are primarily aimed at assistance from others.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2014 at 2:44:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think the answer is found in the value of a human life. Is it valuable enough that anyone who wants to take a life, even their own, is so far out of societies norms that the act is considered a crime?

This would imply your life is not your own, but society's.

In any case, suicide is largely a cultural phenomenon. Judaism forbids it, for example, as does Christianity. But in Ancient Greece and Rome it wasn't even that rare. Read a Greek tragedy and you'd think suicide and murder were rampant in Greece. In Rome an honorable death was to be preferred over a major kind of dishonor. Many prominent figures committed suicide to avoid a dishonorable fate. Famously Nero vacillated before finally doing himself in. The fact the Romans thought that worth preserving tells you a great deal about what they considered proper.

I think Japanese culture does something similar, but I'm not as well acquainted with it.
November 4th, 2014 at 2:52:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think Japanese culture does something similar, but I'm not as well acquainted with it.

Ever read Mishima? In fact, if you need an author to add to your reading list, I suggest him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2014 at 3:03:24 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
This would imply your life is not your own, but society's.

In any case, suicide is largely a cultural phenomenon. Judaism forbids it, for example, as does Christianity. But in Ancient Greece and Rome it wasn't even that rare. Read a Greek tragedy and you'd think suicide and murder were rampant in Greece.

Yeah, but watch US TV, and you'd think the streets were awash with Murder One, Rape, emergency rooms and amusing goofball families.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 4th, 2014 at 3:20:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Yeah, but watch US TV, and you'd think the streets were awash with Murder One, Rape, emergency rooms and amusing goofball families.

Do American homes really have a living room right at the front door? Do people really watch TV there?

In my old house, the front door (which was hardly ever used) opened to a foyer which led to a study on one side and the kitchen and stairs on the other. The living rom was a few meters dead ahead, with the dining room to its right. there was never a TV in the living room. We had the TVs upstairs.

Greeks didn't off themselves as frequently as the Romans, but they dreaded being dishonored just the same. I can imagine Spartans killing themselves in some situations, too.
Page 1 of 212>