Sound

Page 1 of 3123>
November 5th, 2014 at 5:32:07 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Sound doesn't get much play, does it? Sure, we all like music, but that's sort of where that ends.

So much is given to smell. The smell of burning leaves, the smell of a roast in the oven, the smell of an old book. All very powerful, all with the ability to temporarily take you over. Sight? Same thing. A springtime flower, a late summer sunset, a snow blanketed copse of evergreens. Taste? We all like stuffing our faces.

But sound gets no play. When's the last time you said "Dude, you've got to hear this" where "this" did not refer to either A) a song, or B) a juicy bit of gossip? Never, that's when. How come, I wonder?

Anyways, it was just something my mind wandered to while doing yard work. I noticed I had a few, so I figured I'd share mine and ask for yours.

The chickadee. I dunno what it is about this one bird, but it stops me dead almost every time. I think every bit of my childhood, every bit of my time spent outdoors, all the natural fun I've ever had has this for a soundtrack. The amount of memories it recalls for me is simply vast, there's no other way to put it. I can't ever remember being mad on an occasion I've heard this song.

Sabre Dance on pipe organ. This isn't a "music" thing. I've been to a church, I've heard a pipe organ. It's nice. I also have internet and have heard a 1,000 renditions of Sabre Dance. It's a good song. But together, it's something else entirely. It's Rick Jeanneret, it's Pat LaFontaine, it's Doug Bodger and Grant Ledyard. It's Clint Malarchuk and Darren Puppa. It's an orange seat in the Memorial Auditorium, WGR55 channel 550 on the AM radio. It's bunny ears catching Canadian TV at 10 o'clock at night, and it's the Caruba Collision.

Internal combustion engines. I waste more time on this... every time I go anywhere, loud pipes catch my attention and I have to sit there and judge it. Too loud, too muffled, too ratty, too farty. But when you hear it done right, it's all over. The mods at my local track do it for me. I'll be walking along in mid conversation, but when one rolls by, you stop walking and you stop talking. Just sublime. And some just take it to the next level. If man could become God just by sheer force of will, I think I could manage the feat if I had the V10 F1 as my soundtrack.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 5th, 2014 at 7:09:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Sound doesn't get much play, does it?

If you think about it, hearing is the most carelessly treated of our five senses. Teenagers regularly damage their hearing at a very young age. People sustain chronic damage that reduces their quality of life as they get older.

There is a lot of concern now about damage at the workplace by subjecting people to low level repetitive sounds. They can actually make you severely depressed because you can't get away from them. A lot of displays make the same repetitive noises, and many people have to listen for 8 hours a day.
November 5th, 2014 at 7:33:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Cat sounds like it is having a phaser battle.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2014 at 5:55:35 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
So, just for fun, I clicked on all of the videos in quick succession. It was not pleasant.

They sell these "sound machines" that supposedly mimic the sound of waves on the beach. it is supposed to help folks relax and go to sleep. I think it would keep me awake.

Have you ever been in a room designed for recording, where the walls are covered with foam to deaden any reflected sounds? it is an odd feeling at first because it feels 'heavy" in there when door is closed. I don't know how else to describe it.
November 6th, 2014 at 8:13:33 PM permalink
Face
That cat thing sounds like skipping rocks on ice.

November 6th, 2014 at 11:01:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Face, do you have nuthatches out your way, the gray/whitish bellied ones?

We get 7 species of humingbird here but only two will winter.

Our redwinged blackbirds have moved on, still quite a few monarch butterflies.

I have been seeing some yellow headed blackbirds visiting lately and the cliff swallows are at it again under London bridge.

http://youtu.be/PcmvwFcfWmY
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 7th, 2014 at 2:37:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
So, just for fun, I clicked on all of the videos in quick succession. It was not pleasant.

They sell these "sound machines" that supposedly mimic the sound of waves on the beach. it is supposed to help folks relax and go to sleep. I think it would keep me awake.

Have you ever been in a room designed for recording, where the walls are covered with foam to deaden any reflected sounds? it is an odd feeling at first because it feels 'heavy" in there when door is closed. I don't know how else to describe it.

Haven't been in that but what was weird was being in a room with a low dome above you. If you stand just right it sounds like a microphone, one step to the side and it does not.

I have a sound machine app I sometimes use. Doesn't relax me so much as it is white noise, so other noises do not disturb you so much. Leaving the TV or radio on does the same thing, just leave a timer on or they will all wake you back up.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2014 at 9:24:09 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Being in an anechoic chamber is -really- weird.

I use a white noise app when I travel somewhere new. The rain or stream ones work best for me if I am trying to turn off, as I can lose myself listening to the sounds.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2014 at 10:19:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sounds? There are sounds out there in nature?
Hmm.
Maybe to many front row seats at too many Grateful Dead concerts :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 7th, 2014 at 11:06:18 AM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Face, do you have nuthatches out your way, the gray/whitish bellied ones?

I think so. The way they sort of "walk" up and down the sides of trees looks familiar, but there are a few different birds here that do that and look similar. I couldn't identify them by sound. To me they sound like most other birds, just chirpy noise.

Thinking about it, there's not too many nature sounds that catch my attention the way I described with the chickadee. The chickadee is tops. I always have to stop and appreciate it. But after that?

The bullfrog is probably one. Like the chickadee, I only hear it when I'm doing something great, like tramping through a swamp. I can imitate the anger call (gounk!) and the warning call (meerp!) pretty well, and I taught my son the same. It's the first call he was able to learn and always gets a kick out of it.

Even the war birds are mostly boring. Both the bald eagle and the osprey have this chittering squeak that's not all that impressive. They're cool to see, but aurally bland. Only the red tailed hawk gives a proper, shiver inducing scream, the way a war bird should.

And of course, no hot August day is complete without the buzz of the cicada.

I just recently heard my first screech owl, one of the only owls I've heard. The great horned is your stereotypical owl sound, nothing special. I came upon a barred owl once and it was deafening. Just the loudest HOO-HOOOO!!! you've ever heard. But the screech owl is just odd. You can't pin point it for nothing, that warble makes it seem like it's coming from every direction at the same time.

Page 1 of 3123>