Dear Republican Party

Page 2 of 4<1234>
November 7th, 2012 at 10:29:13 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
To the first part, we are not in Europe.

Indeed not. Hence my comment "just saying".

Quote:
To the second I challenge this board to explain what "reaching out to nonwhites" is supposed to mean other than the pandering the democrats do. Why does reaching out to Latinos mean allow unrestricted immigration for example? There is no tenant of conservatism that should make blacks, women, Asians, or Latinos less likely to believe it as an ideology. None. So just what keeps them liberal?ug

Ug?

But you again miss the point. Turn that inwards... what part of the Republican message is making it so that blacks, women, Asians and Latinos find it repulsive and turn away. Here's my take : when your guy beats the incumbent one the issue of the economy, in a terrible economy, and still loses because these sectors are turning away it's the messengers not the message. It's NOT about 'pandering'. You yourself get angry when a liberal politician tells you how to live your life and to pay taxes for socialized medicine. Think about that for a second.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2012 at 11:07:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rdw4potus
Obama does not support either of those position. You really can't write two sentences without distorting things? Even after seeing yesterday how poorly that works for the GOP? Wow, dude.

Yes he does. He ants single payer which is socialized medicine. And he has said he wants to make it bankrupt you to build a coal plant. No distortion. This is what you voted for.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2012 at 1:09:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: TheCesspit
Indeed not. Hence my comment "just saying".

Except he doesn't see your system as an alternative, but inferior, sub standard.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 7th, 2012 at 1:50:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
The way I see it the Democrats seized the center of the polital spectrum, leaving the GOP the territory of extreme social conservatives like Palin, Bachman, and Santorum. Wake me when a moderate like Nixon wins the primary and I'll reconsider supporting them.

I wouldn't call many of the current Democrats policies as being centrist. In economic issues they're far to the left, bordering on fascism (not an inflamatory term, but meaning the nominally private sector is mostly directed by the state). Not just socialized medicine (that's exactly what Obamacare is, wait and see if it's not), but bailouts to benefit unions, "investments" in politically favored companies, not to mention lots of pork and the promotion of dependence on governemnt (little things like "unemployment benefits stimulate the economy;" therefore we'd be in heaven if unemployment reached 100%??)

In "social" issues it's more complicated. Skipping the political angles and the dream of a "permanent Democratic majority," mostly the democrats have what I'd call a classically liberal attitude. That is, weighed towards liberty. In some cases, such as "gay rights," these positions are rapidly becoming mainstream, or are mainstream already. In others not so much. As regards abortion, for example, that's a perenial divisive issue. Some sort of compromise will need to be worked out.

But in some issues it's all politics and creating a constituency dependent on the aprty. This is most clear in immigration, where many Democrats favor frankly ridiculous ideas, such as letting illegal immigrants vote. Who do you figure they'd vote for? Not o mention ankedly expanding the reach fo the welfare state.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 7th, 2012 at 1:58:37 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed

But in some issues it's all politics and creating a constituency dependent on the aprty. This is most clear in immigration, where many Democrats favor frankly ridiculous ideas, such as letting illegal immigrants vote. Who do you figure they'd vote for?

I honestly don't know a single person who favors letting illegals vote. Never once heard that said anywhere on any radio or TV or conversation, and I travel to many states over the course of a year. This is the first time I've ever heard the idea expressed, actually.

But the father of one of my daughter's classmates voted for the first time yesterday--he became a citizen two years ago. Now I'm glad we went to his restaurant for dinner last night.
This space for rent
November 7th, 2012 at 2:07:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Continuing: Kick out of the party any idiot who doesn't find any justifiable cases for abortion. I don't mean you need to embrace unrestricted abortion, but, seriously, there are times when it's either the mother or the fetus, or the mother or no one. And rape can cause pregnancy just as easily as consensual sex. it depends on sperm counts, body chemistry and the reproductive cycle, not how the sperm found their way into the system. Anyone who thinks differently has no palce running for office with the support of any reputabel aprty, never mind one of the two real parties.

Next: Dump creationism, intelligetn design, and whatver new names you come up to substitute for taking the Bible as literately correct in every respect. Whatever your beliefs may be, the gathering evidence of reality makes the belief in a universe onlya few thousand years old untennable, unless you're willing to sacrifice reason.

Moreover, religion shouldn't be taught in public schools. or rather, public schools are not the arena for proselythizing.

More on this later.
November 7th, 2012 at 2:16:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FarFromVegas
I honestly don't know a single person who favors letting illegals vote.

I've read it now and then in a few editorials.
November 7th, 2012 at 2:34:29 PM permalink
Nareed
About religion and education: as long as the state handles or imparts the vast majority of primary and secondary education (that is, from pre-school to high school), then schools ought not to be places to promote religion. Not because that would force people to pay for the disemination of views contrary to their own (though that is a consideration), but because government and religion should not mix.

Private schools are a different matter. For one thing each school would be free to set its own curriculum, and aprents would be free to choose among them. So those that want to instill religion could, and those that don't won't.

I attended a private, Jewish school until junior highschool. While the school was not religious, we did celebrate religious holidays (Jewish ones) and learn about them. One class present from elementary scholl through highschool was the Old Testament. First in Yiddish in a superficial way, then in Hebrew ina deep way. Not religiously, but eventually we read and learned the whole thing (well, I didnt', really). Nothing wrong with that, so long as poeple have other choices.

So, dear GOP, you should be promoting the abolition of public schooling, and a compelte disentanglement of governemnt from education. let the markets work.
November 7th, 2012 at 2:40:40 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Except he doesn't see your system as an alternative, but inferior, sub standard.

Shrug. He can do so if he wishes. I live in America's hat now anyways but the same statement is true. Obama would possibly be in the Liberal party, not the new Democrats. I'm not sure he fits in either. But if he started banging on about his version of healthcare, pretty much everyone would look at him like he was crazy. Even the Conservatives.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2012 at 4:55:59 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: FarFromVegas
I honestly don't know a single person who favors letting illegals vote.

Only citizens can vote. So its a two step process: 1. Make the illegals legal, 2. let them vote. :-)
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
Page 2 of 4<1234>