My thoughts on, "Interstellar"

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
November 18th, 2014 at 3:38:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
I am very interested in the report of your experience terapined. The movie has more than one sequence of things rotating on screen that I could not watch without getting vertigo; and this was on a regular sized screen. I am curious what your experience will be with a true IMAX presentation.

It's not just IMAX®, it is IMAX® DOME with only 10 locations. Guaranteed to have you blowing chunks.
November 18th, 2014 at 4:07:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
After further review (and thanks to everyone who's posted a review), my initial impression stands: I'll wait until I can see it for free (or even for "free.")
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 18th, 2014 at 5:54:37 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
This is the kind of movie I will have to watch a few times to really appreciate.

The AMC in Las Vegas is offering all you care to watch passes to Interstellar for $19.99 You can watch it as many times as you want to, in any of the available formats.
November 18th, 2014 at 6:55:21 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Great looking film. Almost every plot twist is predictable pretty early. Worth the ticket nevertheless. At almost 3 hours you definitely get your money's worth.
November 19th, 2014 at 4:53:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Let me go on record as saying that I meant that Interstellar is not to be missed not such because it was one of the greatest movies of all time but because a small screen just wouldn't do it justice. It is also definitely worth seeing. However, I would also like to say that I liked all the other movies that come to mind that seriously dealt with big questions -- 2001, Contact, Promethius -- better. I just realized that Matthew McConaughey was in both this movie and Contact.

Quote: Ayecarumba
I am very interested in the report of your experience terapined. The movie has more than one sequence of things rotating on screen that I could not watch without getting vertigo; and this was on a regular sized screen. I am curious what your experience will be with a true IMAX presentation.

This was dealt with in the movie. When they first started to spin the mother ship, if I can call it that, one of the astronauts got dizzy, especially when he looked back on the spinning earth. There is another scene where they try to dock to it as it is spinning very fast. Some might feel a little dizzy during these scenes but they don't last long. You can always look at the floor if it bothers you.

Regarding the theater, I saw it in a regular one at the Suncoast and that was just fine.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 19th, 2014 at 4:59:18 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Agreed. It was definitely a good ride, and should be seen in a theater. We also saw it on a regular screen.
November 19th, 2014 at 6:00:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
However, I would also like to say that I liked all the other movies that come to mind that seriously dealt with big questions

Christopher Nolan always had ambitions above the superhero genre. Memento was the movie that got him the job of directing Batman Begins, and "The Prestige" was his first attempt at directing a movie that challenged the notions of life and death.

They were financially successful, but not blockbusters. I must confess to some mixed emotions about "The Prestige", but it is worth seeing. You have to pay $3 apiece to stream them as they are unavailable on Netflix.

November 19th, 2014 at 7:57:39 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I liked Memento. Is there an option to watch it backwards if I get the DVD?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 19th, 2014 at 8:14:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I loved Memento also and watched it backwards :-)
Did it manually.
Also like The Prestige. I like any movie with Tesla. Unfortunately what Tesla did for the magician was a bit too far fetched for me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 19th, 2014 at 8:18:04 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I really enjoyed "The Prestige". No robots, but it does have Michael Caine, (who also played Alfred in Nolan's Batman trilogy, and plays a key role in Interstellar). If you enjoy stage magic, it is a fun, but dark, film.

Trivia: In "Batman", what is Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred's last name?

Pennyworth
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »