Bill Cosby, What the Frick?

February 13th, 2015 at 8:45:24 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: reno
But there's not a single celebrity who's been accused by multiple victims. This is unprecedented.

Oops, I got this statement way way wrong. Over the course of several decades British TV host Jimmy Savile is believed to have molested at least 500 children, many of them mentally handicapped, some as young as 2 years old. (He liked corpses, too, but I digress.)

As shocking as the allegations are, even more shocking is the fact that Savile got away with it for so long. No one came forward until it was too late (He died in 2011; the UK government didn't release their report on his crimes until 2014). In Britain, Jimmy was adored, revered, a national treasure. It was unthinkable that such a wonderful gentle man could be so evil.

February 13th, 2015 at 9:07:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Hospital fund raisers do not need a room for overnight stays and do not need to have teenage girls brought to "meet" him. So obviously he was trusted, but accusations were rare.

Rolf Harris was tarred with the same broad brush that grew out of the Saville scandal wherein decade old accusations were believed despite discrepancies in dates and times and witness statements and above all, financial compensation for such claims.

I'd like to repeat this stuff about Crosby. A trial in a court of law with testimony under oath about all these women who supposedly went to his digs despite this "open secret in the industry" but never went to doctors, lawyers, prosecutors or press.

Its possible, but I think its just wannabe starlets and ex-hasbeens who've found a socially and financially rewarding Band-Wagon.

Even the CBC in Canada seems to be coming down hard on a man who likes rough sex, but so far little in the way of evidence has emerged from the headlines. The indictment does not accuse him of rough sex nor does it allege his partners were required to be playful missionary-position types.
February 13th, 2015 at 9:27:34 AM permalink
reno
Fleastiff-- do you think Jimmy Savile was an innocent man who was unfairly accused?
February 13th, 2015 at 11:30:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Fleastiff-- do you think Jimmy Savile was an innocent man who was unfairly accused?
No. Clearly he was guilty but no charges were ever levied against him during his lifetime. He had friends in the police force and his early morning tea sessions may indeed have featured tea of the single malt variety but I don't think it gained him any forbearance. I do think many of his later accusers jumped on a bandwagon, but clearly he was a serial offender particularly of the ones in the hospitals and prisons.
February 13th, 2015 at 1:10:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
Even the CBC in Canada seems to be coming down hard on a man who likes rough sex, but so far little in the way of evidence has emerged from the headlines. The indictment does not accuse him of rough sex nor does it allege his partners were required to be playful missionary-position types.

Quote:
In addition to the latest charges, Ghomeshi faces four sexual-assault counts and one charge of overcoming resistance by choking.

“I know how scary and painful it can be to speak up and come forward," said Lucy DeCoutere, who is one of the original complainants against Ghomeshi. She called Thursday's news "encouraging" in a wider context.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jian-ghomeshi-case-ex-cbc-employee-among-complainants-in-new-sex-assault-charges-1.2893723

Lucy (Lucy from the Trailer Park Boys) was pretty instrumental in turning the opinion... she spoke up after Jian's 'explanation' of liking rough sex, where she pointed out that there had been zero consent from her. At least one other person has come forward saying they had an enjoyable, consensual BDSM relationship.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 13th, 2015 at 3:39:33 PM permalink
reno
Quote: Fleastiff
No. Clearly he was guilty but no charges were ever levied against him during his lifetime.

Interesting. So in your mind, Cosby's 40+ accusers are probably a bunch of money-grubbing golddiggers trashing an innocent man in the media to extort money out of him. But Savile's 500+ accusers are probably telling the truth (or at least some of them.)

Maybe your affection for Cosby's TV persona is clouding your judgement. If you'd grown up in Britain as a devoted fan of Savile's, it might be difficult to accept that he was raping corpses. But since you were never a fan of his, you can read the accusations as a neutral, unbiased observer, and you're willing to entertain the possibility that he rapes corpses.

No one wants to live in a world where Bill Cosby is a dangerous predator. I've been to a Cosby concert: he's a funny, charming, decent man. Or at least I thought he was a decent man...
February 13th, 2015 at 3:48:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Maybe your affection for Cosby's TV persona is clouding your judgement. ..
Maybe, but I only watched one episode and didn't particularly care for it.
February 13th, 2015 at 4:11:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've been to a Cosby concert: he's a funny, charming, decent man. Or at least I thought he was a decent man...

That's who the predators are, they appear
to be decent. That's how they lure the
innocents in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 13th, 2015 at 8:57:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
That's who the predators are, they appear to be decent. That's how they lure the innocents in.
Predators, con-men, Gypsies, thieves, IRS agents, ... poker players.
February 23rd, 2015 at 4:34:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Nothing like kicking a guy in the ribs after he has been knocked to the floor.

Eighty-four year old Rolf Harris has been formally stripped of all honors and awards by the Secretary of the Order of Australia. He is no longer an Officer of Australia and no longer a member of the Order of Australia.

Because of the conditions under which prisoners in the UK are kept, Rolf Harris was not given any opportunity to comment to the Press upon his being stripped of honors.