Hey Nareed

Page 3 of 6<123456>
February 1st, 2015 at 9:11:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

This continues to scare me. If there was something for you to gain from lying, cheating, or stealing would it then be okay or good?

It's not that crime doesn't pay, it in fact pays
very well. There is a price, however, that has
nothing to do with the afterlife. It's called
peace of mind. Awfully hard to give up just to
commit crimes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 1st, 2015 at 9:34:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
That was in response to you being God ;)

No one in their right mind would want to be the blood-thirsty, vengeful God depicted in the Bible.

Quote:
This continues to scare me. If there was something for you to gain from lying, cheating, or stealing would it then be okay or good?

Of course. And if there was any benefit to setting myself on fire, I'd do that, too.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 1st, 2015 at 9:52:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

Of course. And if there was any benefit to setting myself on fire, I'd do that, too.

That sounds like an excuse a blood-thirsty, vengeful being would use. Good thing the Bible gives us a very different morality.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 1st, 2015 at 10:00:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
That sounds like an excuse a blood-thirsty, vengeful being would use. Good thing the Bible gives us a very different morality.

Bible = morality. The original oxymoron. As I've
said, some scholars who've studied the OT wonder
how they even got a religion out of the mess that
it is. Of course the NT was carefully edited 400 years
later to be crafted AS a religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 2nd, 2015 at 4:17:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

You don't get it. Self-destructive actions are never of any benefit to the person making them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 2nd, 2015 at 2:59:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote:
Good thing the Bible gives us a very different morality.

Some morality lessons from the Bible:

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes." (Luke 12:47)

"As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may aquire male and female slaves." (Leviticus 25:44, NRSV)

"This said the LORD, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun." (II Samuel 12:11)

"a blessing on anyone who seizes your babies and shatters them against a rock!" (Psalms 137:9,

Here's a fine morality statement by Jesus
himself:

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Human sacrifice:

"Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me." (Exodus 22:29)
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:18:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Do you want me to list the thousands of verses that show how out of context and cherry picked the verses you've chosen out the Old Testament are? Do you want me to show you again your misinterpretation of them as well, especially the ones from Christ? Unfortunately I have four funerals this week and so I don't have the time. I also realize if you are content to proof text the Bible for your own agenda and refuse to truly read it then I don't think it will do much good. Suffice it to say you cannot truly read the Bible and see it in any other way as God's story of love for humanity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:25:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Suffice it to say you cannot truly read the Bible and see it in any other way as God's story of love for humanity.

Yet people have read it enough different ways
to have over 2500 different offshoots of
Christianity, each claiming vehemently that
they are the only 'right' version. Isn't that
enough proof to just throw the whole thing
out as a reference tool?

Sorry about all the funerals, hopefully they
were all old people who's death came as a surprise
to nobody but them.
February 3rd, 2015 at 3:05:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
How many of the 2500 follow the things that you quoted?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 3rd, 2015 at 10:48:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
duplicate
Page 3 of 6<123456>