"Cult of Mary"

Page 1 of 471234>Last »
November 30th, 2014 at 7:43:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
This is a breakoff from the Original Sin thread because I can see many questions arising their about the Catholic Church's teaching about the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Jesus. I will try to briefly give an introduction and see if it raises any further questions.

Most importantly Catholics do not worship Mary so the title Cult of Mary to define our teaching is inaccurate. In fact in many ways we follow Jesus' example who as a good Jew followed the commandment to honor your mother and father. We honor Mary (and Joseph) as an example, the greatest example in fact of what it means to follow Jesus. Maybe you could think of how we treat Mary in the same way as how you might treat your saintly great grandmother. Her example to you is precious and the way she lived her life serves you and your family as a continuing model and inspiration. You might have pictures of her in your house that remind you of her and how she lived her life. This is what we understand in regards to Mary.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 7:53:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I am skeptical of a pregnant woman claiming virginity, giving birth to a child, not of the husband.

Normally, that creates all kinds of unpleasant speculation.

Perhaps I shouldn't chuckle so much at what the Scientologists or Mormons have come up with.

I suppose I am off to a bad start.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 30th, 2014 at 7:57:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Not at all, a virgin birth is indeed extraordinary, mysterious, and miraculous. As is the birth of our universe. These are big amazing things that make us scratch our heads in a good way.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 8:11:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
As a family law attorney, I would take on Joseph's case — no way he should have to support a child that is not his
November 30th, 2014 at 8:14:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
He was thinking about contacting one of your predecessors for a short time.
November 30th, 2014 at 8:16:15 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: FrGamble
He was thinking about contacting one of your predecessors for a short time.

If Mary was indeed pregnant out of wedlock - would that not make Jesus a bastard?
November 30th, 2014 at 8:18:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think today we would call Joseph His foster father.
November 30th, 2014 at 8:23:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
I think today we would call Joseph His foster father.

I didn't ask what we would call Joseph…
November 30th, 2014 at 8:28:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Oh boy, if you insist. What do you call a child who both biological parents acknowledge but out of necessity is raised by another father who steps into that role?
November 30th, 2014 at 8:30:22 PM permalink
aceofspades
Oh boy, if you insist. What do you call a child who both biological parents acknowledge but out of necessity is raised by another father who steps into that role?

See, once again you do not acknowledge that Jesus was indeed a bastard
Page 1 of 471234>Last »