You give the meaning to life, not the other
way around. And where were you before
you were born. It doesn't bother anybody
not knowing that, why should bother us
where we 'go' after life's end.

December 7th, 2014 at 7:24:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
So religion is one way people give meaning to life. You also give meaning to your life in a different way. I think you agree that these are important questions to ask and talk about. I for one would be interested in how you give meaning to your life (in another thread perhaps) and I promise I won't attack it or criticize you. Maybe we could all learn from each other in answering and discussing this essential and fundamental question.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 7th, 2014 at 7:49:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
So religion is one way people give meaning to life..

More power too them, it's one way. But far from
the only way.

Quote:
I think you agree that these are important questions to ask and talk about..

What questions, I can't think of any.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2014 at 8:07:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
What gives your life meaning and purpose? What is your mission, vision, and values and where do they come from?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 7th, 2014 at 9:19:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
where do they come from?

Self discovery.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2014 at 9:22:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Excellent, I think I could say the same thing.
December 19th, 2014 at 9:04:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
And why isn't having a statue of Mary on
the mantle and praying to her a violation
of the 2nd commandment? Or a statue
of a saint, or a crucifix with Jesus hanging
on it. Those are all carved images.
December 19th, 2014 at 9:13:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
For the same reason the pictures of your grandma or relatives on the mantle are not idolatry. Statues are like 3D pictures that remind us of our loved ones.
December 19th, 2014 at 11:57:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
For the same reason the pictures of your grandma or relatives on the mantle are not idolatry. .

But I don't pray to them. I know for a
fact people pray to statues of Mary,
I've seen it. I've seen them pray to
plastic statues on the dashboard of
their car for safe driving. I've seen them
pray in movies to statues of other
saints. Isn't that worshiping carved idols?

Fascinating stuff: http://www.remnantofgod.org/idols.htm

December 20th, 2014 at 8:22:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
If you are getting your information from that website no wonder all your thoughts about the Catholic Church are so wrong. Why don't you balance yourself out a little bit and visit this website for some good information about the Church's teaching:
Questions about Catholicism

No statue or image is ever worshiped in a Catholic Church. What you are noticing is people praying for the intercession of Mary or the Saints. They are not being prayed to in the sense that they are gods or equal to Christ. Idolatry would be if someone treated an image, a statue, or even the person it represents as a god. This is not what is happening when someone gets in the car and says, "Mother Mary help me and all on the roads, may we reach our destinations in safety and in joy. Amen." It would be the same thing as if your Christian friend was in the backseat and you said, "Hey Bob, lets pray that we have a safe trip to grandma's house." Bob then says a prayer for you.