In case you haven't noticed, the Church is
going broke. Parishes and schools are closing
everywhere because enrollment is down and
there is no money to run them. Just a month
ago Chicago announced 9 more Catholic schools
were closing. In the last 10 years almost 2000
schools were closed. Priests and nuns are avoiding
the profession in droves. The Church is in deep
trouble, while the Protestants flourish.

I sincerely wish the protestants were flourishing as I wish we were, however everyone seems to be struggling as your stats show. It is very sad that some of the best schools especially in the inner cities of Chicago and other places where kids could get a safe and good education are closing down. We also do need vocations to the priesthood and in the case of the religious sisters there are some orders that I hate to say will simply not exist in a decade or two. I wouldn't trumpet this though Bob because it is more or a canary in a cage. The Church will always exist, heck we started from a rag-tag group of fishermen and zealots and a handful of disciples and we have survived decadent and sinful Popes and awful mistakes, this modern problem is nothing compared to some of the persecutions we have endured and flourished afterwards. What I worry about is a culture or society that does not value sacrifice and selflessness. I worry about a society that gives rise to and stands by when schools that saved taxpayers millions and served the poorest and most in need close down. Our society is in deep trouble, while eventually Christians will flourish again.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 2nd, 2014 at 8:03:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
. We also do need vocations to the priesthood and in the case of the religious sisters there are some orders that I hate to say will simply not exist in a decade or two.

There are more Catholics in the world than
ever, if in name only. A not even close to the
number of people in charge to serve them.
Let priests and nuns marry, let Catholics
get divorces and use birth control. If you
don't join the 21st century, your past will
crush you. There will always be the Church,
just like there are still buffalo. But they
are both a shadow of what they once were.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2014 at 8:42:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
What I hear you saying is stop being a buffalo and become a chameleon, there are plenty of them scurrying around. No thanks, a buffalo even if there is just one is an impressive strong animal who will not be pushed around. All the other denominations that became chameleons by going against the clear Scriptural teaching about marriage by Jesus Himself and those who abandoned the universal Christian perspective that contraception was a bad thing, are hurting. For years now the Southern Baptists have had fewer and fewer baptisms and the Episcopalians are in danger of folding as entire congregations cross the Tiber or leave the practice of the faith.

We do need more priests and nuns, but maybe and hopefully the Holy Spirit is calling for the full conscious and active participation of the lay faithful to lead our Church to be a continual counter cultural sign, as it was in the beginning and as it ever shall be.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2014 at 9:41:01 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
In case you haven't noticed, the Church is
going broke. Parishes and schools are closing
everywhere because enrollment is down and
there is no money to run them. Just a month
ago Chicago announced 9 more Catholic schools
were closing. In the last 10 years almost 2000
schools were closed. Priests and nuns are avoiding
the profession in droves. The Church is in deep
trouble, while the Protestants flourish.
I sincerely wish the protestants were flourishing as I wish we were, however everyone seems to be struggling as your stats show. It is very sad that some of the best schools especially in the inner cities of Chicago and other places where kids could get a safe and good education are closing down. We also do need vocations to the priesthood and in the case of the religious sisters there are some orders that I hate to say will simply not exist in a decade or two. I wouldn't trumpet this though Bob because it is more or a canary in a cage. The Church will always exist, heck we started from a rag-tag group of fishermen and zealots and a handful of disciples and we have survived decadent and sinful Popes and awful mistakes, this modern problem is nothing compared to some of the persecutions we have endured and flourished afterwards. What I worry about is a culture or society that does not value sacrifice and selflessness. I worry about a society that gives rise to and stands by when schools that saved taxpayers millions and served the poorest and most in need close down. Our society is in deep trouble, while eventually Christians will flourish again.

December 3rd, 2014 at 11:22:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote:
All the other denominations that became chameleons by going against the clear Scriptural teaching about marriage by Jesus Himself
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 3rd, 2014 at 2:33:05 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
You are the pro. Does Jesus or YHWH not expect us all to go forth and multiply? I never got that about why priests and nuns spend their lives in celibacy, is that not against the Lords design?

FrG wanted more replies, so let me hop in and try to field this one.

They're called to it. Just as most of us fancy a look through a telescope, but Hawking dedicates his life to it. Some are convenient Christians. Go to church, say a grace, but still go out and do a bit of sinnin'. FrG is the other end of the spectrum. It's not enough to have faith in Christ and worship God, his every action must consider Him. He must speak as Him, act as Him, do as Him. That includes no hanky panky. It's not sinnin', it's just not "as Christ".

How'd I do?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 3rd, 2014 at 2:57:14 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Face

They're called to it. Just as most of us fancy a look through a telescope, but Hawking dedicates his life to it. Some are convenient Christians. Go to church, say a grace, but still go out and do a bit of sinnin'. FrG is the other end of the spectrum. It's not enough to have faith in Christ and worship God, his every action must consider Him. He must speak as Him, act as Him, do as Him. That includes no hanky panky. It's not sinnin', it's just not "as Christ".

How'd I do?

Are they called to child rape?
December 3rd, 2014 at 3:06:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

They don't look at it that way. Satan made
them do it and when they confess, they
do a penance and they're good to go. It's
another example of circular logic, translated
to circular sinning. (sin is their word for it,
not mine)
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2014 at 3:19:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face

How'd I do?

My apologies
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 3rd, 2014 at 3:36:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

My apologies

Don't have to apologize to me. I'm just testing whether I'm learning anything here =)

Quote: aceofspades

"They" as in "pedos"? I assume they are. Everyone's called to something. Some we judge as good and call them heroes. Others we judge as bad and call them monsters. What calls you?

"They" as in "Catholic priests"? I dunno. I'm not learned enough on the subject to make a call. Is there more of a prevalence among Catholic priests? Or is it just the coverup that has so inflamed the issue? I couldn't tell you which.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.