"Cult of Mary"

December 3rd, 2014 at 3:39:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
All the other denominations that became chameleons by going against the clear Scriptural teaching about marriage by Jesus Himself [..]

Would you take driving advice from someone who does not drive? I wouldn't take marriage advice, never mind strict rules, from someone who never married.

Quote:
[..]and those who abandoned the universal Christian perspective that contraception was a bad thing, are hurting.

Come, now. The Catholic church is fine with any contraception method, so long as it is inconvenient and largely ineffective. Like the rhythm method.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 3rd, 2014 at 3:56:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

Come, now. The Catholic church is fine with any contraception method, so long as it is inconvenient and largely ineffective. Like the rhythm method.

The Church depended on large families to
fill their ranks and keep the coffers full.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2014 at 7:44:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Face
FrG wanted more replies, so let me hop in and try to field this one.

They're called to it. Just as most of us fancy a look through a telescope, but Hawking dedicates his life to it. Some are convenient Christians. Go to church, say a grace, but still go out and do a bit of sinnin'. FrG is the other end of the spectrum. It's not enough to have faith in Christ and worship God, his every action must consider Him. He must speak as Him, act as Him, do as Him. That includes no hanky panky. It's not sinnin', it's just not "as Christ".

How'd I do?

Well said Face, thanks. You captured the meaning of alter christus in Catholic Theology. However, my only addition would be that this desire to dedicate my life to loving God and neighbor is not uniquely mine, nor unique to the priest. It is the calling of all the baptized - to be another Christ in our world today through actions, words, and way of life.

You can see sprinkled through all these threads what harm it does to the Gospel of Jesus to be just a lukewarm or worse a hypocritical Christian. Priests or other Christian leaders who have broken their vows or caused great scandal have done more to hurt Christ than all the atheists put together.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2014 at 7:52:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

Would you take driving advice from someone who does not drive? I wouldn't take marriage advice, never mind strict rules, from someone who never married.

I wouldn't listen to him if he was trying to tell you how the clutch feels when you slide the shift into the next gear.

However, I would listen to him about the maintenance of my car if he studied it well and knew how it works. If he had read the manufacturer's recommendations I would trust his advice very much and if he had A LOT of experience seeing what seems to work in repairing cars.

Quote:

Natural Family Planning is just as effective as any other form of family planning without having to give your loved one huge doses of hormones and carcinogens.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2014 at 7:58:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
They don't look at it that way. Satan made
them do it and when they confess, they
do a penance and they're good to go. It's
another example of circular logic, translated
to circular sinning. (sin is their word for it,
not mine)

If that is really how you see it then no wonder you don't believe. Let me assure you that everything you say above is wrong.
December 3rd, 2014 at 8:07:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
If that is really how you see it then no wonder you don't believe. Let me assure you that everything you say above is wrong.

I notice you aren't giving me your
version, do you have one?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2014 at 9:08:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Satan cannot make anyone do anything. The first step of reconciliation and healing is admitting our guilt and owning it. This is what happens when we confess. As the old saying goes it is good for the soul. The penance is not about forgiveness. Forgiveness comes form the infinite mercy of God, but the penance is rather the indication that you are serious about breaking the circle of sin. You can't go to confession without holding yourself responsible for the sin. You also need the desire to receive grace to avoid these sins in the future and the serious intention to never commit these sins again. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is all about breaking the circle of sin not to perpetuate it.
December 3rd, 2014 at 10:24:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Yes, they have the serious intention, but
darn it, they do it again anyway. The
Church is real good at get out of jail
free cards, especially for clergy. It's
a real convenient setup.

You're not going to comment on my
pedophile post? It's the 1000 pound
elephant in the room when talking
about the Church.
December 4th, 2014 at 6:21:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wouldn't listen to him

So glad we're agreed ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 4th, 2014 at 8:35:53 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Yes, they have the serious intention, but
darn it, they do it again anyway. The
Church is real good at get out of jail
free cards, especially for clergy. It's
a real convenient setup.

You're not going to comment on my
pedophile post? It's the 1000 pound
elephant in the room when talking
about the Church.

The Church is much harder on clergy than anyone else, but yes we are in the business of forgiveness.

As far as the priest pedophile post I recommend reading either Phillip Jenkins from Penn State who wrote, "Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis." He is a non-Catholic who writes a very fair and objective book about the subject.
Also Dr. Thomas Plate from Stanford has written a book entitled: "Sin against the Innocents: Sexual Abuse by Priests and the Role of the Catholic Church"

In an article for Psychology Today he summarizes some of the statistics here is an excerpt:

Quote:
There are a lot more myths than facts bantered around about clergy sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. Here are 6 important points that you should know if you are interested in this topic.

1. Catholic clergy aren't more likely to abuse children than other clergy or men in general.

According to the best available data (which is pretty good mostly coming from a comprehensive report by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in 2004 as well as several other studies), 4% of Catholic priests in the USA sexually victimized minors during the past half century. No evidence has been published at this time that states that this number is higher than clergy from other religious traditions. The 4% figure appears lower than school teachers during the same time frame and certainly less than offenders in the general population of men. Research states that over 20% of American women and about 15% of American men were sexually violated when they were children by an adult. Sexual victimization is tragically fairly common in the general population but luckily these numbers have been dropping in recent years.

See the full article at: Six Important Points regarding Clergy sexual abuse