"Cult of Mary"

December 5th, 2014 at 5:51:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
He's treating child sexual abuse as if it is a universal truth that it is bad no matter what,

You mean it's not??? Give an example where
child sexual abuse is justified.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 5th, 2014 at 5:54:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
It's almost like morality is determined by the populace, and is not some universal truth ;)

Exactly. Can anybody give examples of where
the Church stopped questionable practices
on its own and didn't wait till public opinion turned on
them. I can't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 5th, 2014 at 7:16:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Just starting from the beginning when they allowed Gentiles to become Christian without first becoming Jewish.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 5th, 2014 at 7:32:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You mean it's not??? Give an example where
child sexual abuse is justified.

Aha, it took a trick but I finally got you to admit there are objective moral truths that can never be justified no matter the circumstances, yeah boyeeee!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 5th, 2014 at 8:01:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Aha, it took a trick but I finally got you to admit there are objective moral truths that can never be justified no matter the circumstances, yeah boyeeee!

You lost me, I have no idea what you're
talking about.
December 5th, 2014 at 9:17:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Awhile ago you were arguing a dangerous and what I think is a disgusting view that that all morality was subjective and dependent on circumstances. You claimed that good and evil don't really exist as objective truths. I am simply glad that you have changed your mind on that and realize that there is no justification to child sexual abuse. It is always and everywhere an evil that no culture or society or institution could ever justify. I sincerely commend you on your realization that you were wrong, Lord knows I have been wrong many times myself and am always glad when I recognize it.
December 5th, 2014 at 11:42:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
You claimed that good and evil don't really exist as objective truths..

They don't. But common sense does exist. You
don't jump off the roof to see if you can fly.
You don't stick your hand into the fire to see
if it's hot. You don't walk up to a bear to see
if he wants to eat you or not. You don't subject
an emotionally undeveloped child to sexual
perversion. Common sense, not good and evil.

The universe has a way of weeding out people
who don't have a handle on common sense.
If your actions are hurting yourself, that's
punishment enough. If your actions are harming
kids, you should be taken behind the barn and
shot, just for the protection of the neighborhood.
Like you would do to a rabid dog.

Logic, not good and evil.. Atheists like the eye for
and eye theory.
December 6th, 2014 at 11:28:31 AM permalink
FrGamble
So not obeying "common sense" which according to you seems to be common to all people will always lead that person to hurtful results and sometimes lead to the need to punish or correct such transgressions of "common sense" no matter what culture they live in, the circumstances, or the time in which they live. Yep, sounds like another word for objective moral norms.
December 6th, 2014 at 3:00:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
So not obeying "common sense" which according to you seems to be common to all people

These semantic wars are tiring me. You can't
prove anything concrete, so now you're resorting
to nitpicking. I don't know what you hope to gain.
There is no god, conversations like this solidify
that for me. You're obviously flailing around on
quicksand, trying to find a footing for your beliefs,
when there is none except a few thousand years
ago some men said this or that. There is not a
court in the world that would accept that as evidence
of god existing.

If it could be proved, what would be the point of faith.
December 6th, 2014 at 5:40:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm sorry you feel that way Bob but remember you are the one playing semantics. You don't want to use the word God so you say something silly like "an eternally existing universe". You don't want to use the phrase objective moral truth so you call it "common sense". It seems rather like you are the one flailing around. You even bring up old things without any sense that we have talked about before on other threads like the no evidence crap. We've shown that while you aren't going to have some type of scientific proof, which would render faith useless, you do have a preponderance of evidence from science, philosophy, history, archeology, ethics, and logic that all speak to the existence of God. Anywhere outside of Fergueson you could at least get a grand jury to say we have a case.