Grave Robber, Tomb Raider, or Archaeologist?

Page 1 of 212>
Poll
2 votes (18.18%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (27.27%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (9.09%)
2 votes (18.18%)
3 votes (27.27%)

11 members have voted

November 9th, 2012 at 9:48:14 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
After a long, full life, you have amassed quite a hoard of gold jewlery, precious stones and religious artifacts, and you plan to be buried with all of it.

At what point is the disturbing of your remains and the removal of the valuables no longer "Grave Robbing", but "Treasure Hunting" or "For The Advancement of Knowledge"?
November 9th, 2012 at 10:42:13 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
The people who burried those treasures probably thought that they were paying to ensure safe passage to "the other side". I'd say that they got there (or not), and that the treasures are now up for grabs.

Personally, I've told my wife to "make sure I'm dead" before they plant me. Once that's done, I'm worm food.

I voted 100 years because I figure in that time the worms are finished, and there's nobody left who remembers me. So by that time, they can re-sell my grave if they want to. Doesn't matter if they dig me up first or not. I don't expect any treasures to be burried with me, but if any are, it's finder's keepers.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
November 9th, 2012 at 12:00:01 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: DJTeddyBear
The people who burried those treasures probably thought that they were paying to ensure safe passage to "the other side". I'd say that they got there (or not), and that the treasures are now up for grabs.

Personally, I've told my wife to "make sure I'm dead" before they plant me. Once that's done, I'm worm food.

I voted 100 years because I figure in that time the worms are finished, and there's nobody left who remembers me. So by that time, they can re-sell my grave if they want to. Doesn't matter if they dig me up first or not. I don't expect any treasures to be burried with me, but if any are, it's finder's keepers.

To me, 100 years doesn't seem like a long time. There are many graves that old, that still seem "visited". Is it okay to dig up Civil War era, or even WW1 era graves to claim their "treasures"? It doesn't seem right.

Do the wishes of the deceadent have any weight?
November 9th, 2012 at 12:07:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You need to wait at least til the family is done squabbling over who gets it.

Next there's the matter of the grave's location. If it's on a fmaily estate, for example, then you're trespassing just getting there, never mind looting the grave. Cemeteries are owned, too, as are Church yards. So you may want to ask a lawyer what the criminal penalties will be.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 9th, 2012 at 12:33:59 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Ayecarumba
To me, 100 years doesn't seem like a long time. There are many graves that old, that still seem "visited". Is it okay to dig up Civil War era, or even WW1 era graves to claim their "treasures"? It doesn't seem right.

Do the wishes of the deceadent have any weight?
It seemed to me that the original question was directed at us personally.

And, personally, I figure 100 years is more than enough.

If I were on the other end, the person digging the graves, (or giving permission to do so), then it would be a much longer time.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
November 9th, 2012 at 2:30:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You keep overlooking one BIG practical issue: wherever the grave is, you're likely to be stopped and, possibly, charged with criminal trespass. So, other consideratiosn aside, the answer is: once the property where the grave is located is considered abandoned and no one lays a claim to it.

BTW, grave-robbing has never been considered ok in any major civilization as far as I know. Archeological digs usually are undertaken on some kind of authority, and the artifacts are used for arccheological studies and msueum exhibits (not that some archeologists, their assistnats or the local labor won't steal artifacts and sell them).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 9th, 2012 at 3:34:31 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Ayecarumba
At what point is the disturbing of your remains and the removal of the valuables no longer "Grave Robbing", but "Treasure Hunting" or "For The Advancement of Knowledge"?

I don't think that "Treasure Hunting" or "For The Advancement of Knowledge" are legal either unless you cut the government in on the take. Then it becomes a matter of how soon they'll let you get to work.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 11th, 2012 at 8:21:34 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Great... lets all dig up the Revolutionary War Graves and REALLY sellout our History. Asinine idea... even if I say 500 years, thats too short.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
November 12th, 2012 at 10:02:58 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: 98Clubs
Great... lets all dig up the Revolutionary War Graves and REALLY sellout our History. Asinine idea... even if I say 500 years, thats too short.

Why not? Is it benefitting the economy underground?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 12th, 2012 at 11:11:47 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Mission146
Why not? Is it benefitting the economy underground?

I think the way we treat the remains of the dead says alot about our value for the living. Looking at their final resting places as potential treasure for the seeking doesn't sit well with me.
Page 1 of 212>