And Now for Something Completely Different...

Page 3 of 5<12345>
December 9th, 2014 at 11:33:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
if all people have a moral compass because they are created in the image and likeness of God.

Reverse engineering again, with circular
logic thrown in. Doesn't work for me..
God is not a chicken or egg question.
For that to happen there has to be an
actual live chicken, not an imaginary one.

And this is a thread about compassion, right
up religions ally.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2014 at 11:43:18 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Is it not true that we all have a moral compass? Is it not true that this moral compass points us universally to things like compassion? Is it not true that as you say compassion is right down religion's ally? Therefore it would seem that we are naturally religious with a moral compass, that while not perfect, shows us true north or true love. This is not imaginary it is very real so how do you explain this real "chicken"?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 9th, 2014 at 11:48:15 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Is it not true that we all have a moral compass? Is it not true that this moral compass points us universally to things like compassion? Is it not true that as you say compassion is right down religion's ally? Therefore it would seem that we are naturally religious with a moral compass, that while not perfect, shows us true north or true love. This is not imaginary it is very real so how do you explain this real "chicken"?

Evidence suggests that no, we don't have an innate moral compass. And not everyone's is the same. If it was, compassion would be much more common in many, many cases.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 9th, 2014 at 12:08:15 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob

But you're not a Christian. How could you
possibly have all these feelings without the
moral compass of religion to guide you.

So confusing.

I told you. It's my mom's fault =)

I joke about it, but it really is. Even in my fishing posts, what comes across as "conservationism" or "gamesmanship", at its root, is the very compassion she instilled in me. I joke that it's a "curse". But it's probably the greatest gift she gave to me.

I refuse to allow our religious discussion to hijack this thread,...

I don't mind, and I won't stop it. All information is power, and I've often found inspiration in the oddest of places.

Just like your link to "Good Will Hunting" in the other thread. I bet that clip means something to you. I can guess as to what it means, and I think I'd be right. But that clip means something to me, too. And I bet all of us could watch it, and all of us would take different meaning from it.

If my thread causes any type of discussion, I can probably find something to latch onto regardless of its subject. I don't think the subject is important. In this case, I think the key is just talking.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 9th, 2014 at 12:56:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: TheCesspit
Evidence suggests that no, we don't have an innate moral compass. And not everyone's is the same. If it was, compassion would be much more common in many, many cases.

I wonder if it is more common in many, many cases than we realize. As I mentioned our compass is not perfect, it is broken, but it still can be helpful. Maybe even acts of evil are tempered by our compassion. On the surface these things don't seem very compassionate, but could have gone far worse. Like the universal moral rule to not harm innocents, women, or children.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 9th, 2014 at 5:34:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Is it not true that we all have a moral compass?

Not at all, how could you think that.
We have to be taught morality, it
doesn't exist on its own. If we all
have a moral compass, explain Hitler
and Stalin and mass murderers and
cannibals and slavery and sexual
abuse of kids and organized crime
and and and and...

That's why religion was invented, because
people don't know how to behave if
left to their own devices. It's why god was
invented.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2014 at 6:15:34 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Not at all, how could you think that.
We have to be taught morality, it
doesn't exist on its own. If we all
have a moral compass, explain Hitler
and Stalin and mass murderers and
cannibals and slavery and sexual
abuse of kids and organized crime
and and and and...

That's why religion was invented, because
people don't know how to behave if
left to their own devices. It's why god was
invented.

They have found the gene(s) that give you your moral compass. Most people have them and are fine have some built in compasion. Psychopaths are lacking the appropriate genes and are able to commit the terrible atrocities they do.

The problem now is what do we do if genetic testing shows you are missing the gene? This creates another lively debate.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 9th, 2014 at 6:30:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
They have found the gene(s) that give you your moral compass. .

“I think this study is useful in helping to point out that maybe the way people arrive at their moral intuitions is just different for different people."

In other words, everybody is their own
person. One person is fine with killing
somebody to save five, because no two
people are the same. It's random, just
like everything else. Some peoples genes
make them into serial killers, some into
Mother Teresa. There is no universal moral
compass that points us anywhere.
December 9th, 2014 at 6:55:39 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“I think this study is useful in helping to point out that maybe the way people arrive at their moral intuitions is just different for different people."

In other words, everybody is their own
person. One person is fine with killing
somebody to save five, because no two
people are the same. It's random, just
like everything else. Some peoples genes
make them into serial killers, some into
Mother Teresa. There is no universal moral
compass that points us anywhere.

EB are you saying Hitler's attrocities should be excused because his genes made him do it?? Are you also saying that Mother Teresa could not do evil because her random genetic coding was irresistable?
December 9th, 2014 at 7:51:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba
EB are you saying Hitler's attrocities should be excused because his genes made him do it?? Are you also saying that Mother Teresa could not do evil because her random genetic coding was irresistable?

Your genes don't 'make' you do anything. They
suggest certain decisions, not force them on you.
Every genius is not successful, far from it. Every
math whiz doesn't have a career in math. If your
genes suggest you do the 'right' thing, it's very
easy to resist the urge. It's also easy to give into
the urge to do bad things.
Page 3 of 5<12345>