Poll
1 vote (11.11%)
5 votes (55.55%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

December 9th, 2014 at 8:32:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Well the torture report is being released.
A sad day for America.
I dont believe in torture.
We need to stay on the high moral ground and not torture.
By torturing our prisoners, we are also giving opponents of the USA liscense to torture captured US citizens and soldiers
Torture is wrong.
If we do not want captured US soldiers to be tortured, we must not torture our prisoners.
Torture runs both ways. Lets stay on the high moral ground.
I am against torture.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2014 at 8:46:57 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I think it would benefit the Republican party to not call this a partisan report (save on FoxNews, where everyone has already made up their mind). Most Americans feel that torture is wrong and that it was ineffective. You can play the game where you can say "you never know if one of these tortured individuals gave up information that prevented an attack or prevented more people from going into Al Queda" but there are no statistics or stories to prove it.

I agree with the general statement that torture or "enhanced interrogation" is completely wrong and should not have been practiced by American forces or other forces acting on behalf of the CIA. We would not want our soldiers to be subject to the same treatment and it is morally wrong to do so, for any reason.
December 10th, 2014 at 9:29:18 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If Bill Cosby would have just tortured those women into having sex instead of drugging them, things would have went a lot smoother for him seeing as how so much of America is ok with torturing people if its for a good cause.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 10th, 2014 at 11:17:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I believe that "torture" for punishment is not justifiable but "torture" for information gathering MAY be justifiable.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 10th, 2014 at 12:18:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I believe that "torture" for punishment is not justifiable but "torture" for information gathering MAY be justifiable.

My contention is that if nation states want to write torture in under special conditions they should do it across the board in international agreements, and specify what's available to everyone and under what conditions.

If they don't have the stomach to do that, then maybe they should not do it.

If water boarding, stress positions and sleep deprivation, is approvable let them "internationalize" it in some format.

I don't think it is, but I'm just saying, don't treat it like a horrible step child unless you think it may actually be one.

Who knows, maybe in some alternate world scenario, the Japanese torturing American prisoners might lead to the shooting down of the Enola Gay. Maybe that is the true best ethical result. Save 80,000 lives, if you look at it one way. At least from Imperial Japans point of view that would have saved the lives they valued.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 11th, 2014 at 5:11:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
I think it would benefit the Republican party to not call this a partisan report (save on FoxNews, where everyone has already made up their mind). Most Americans feel that torture is wrong and that it was ineffective. You can play the game where you can say "you never know if one of these tortured individuals gave up information that prevented an attack or prevented more people from going into Al Queda" but there are no statistics or stories to prove it.

The thing is that it plainly IS a partisan move. Obama called out the GOP on "torture" from when he first took office and still does, if no other way than via this report.

It shows yet again how incompetent Obama really is. He seems to want to say, "see, the GOP supported torture, I don't, see how much better I am?" However, if he spent a day in the real world he would learn that when you are part of any organization the last thing you do is admit liability for anything, even if it was done by a predecessor that you do not like. All admitting does is make those who hate you realize they were right to hate you.

Say Ford says, "yes, we intentionally cut corners to make the Pinto cheaper." Are you going to rush to the dealer to buy another Ford? Heck no, you are going to avoid them like the plague. If a loved one died because of it you are going to hate them even more.

Obama wants to be liked, a fatal flaw for a leader of a powerful nation. And anyone who thinks that "enhanced interrogation" is no more just because of this is dumber than Obama is. If the CIA grabs you up you are going to give up what they want or die a slow, painful death if that is what they want. And nobody is going to know what happened to you. Don't think the CIA is alone on this. All the major nations could and will do the same.
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2014 at 5:39:47 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Sounds like a distraction story to rile the people up, so what are we being distracted from now they're up to then?
December 11th, 2014 at 12:23:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
And anyone who thinks that "enhanced interrogation" is no more just because of this is dumber than Obama is. If the CIA grabs you up you are going to give up what they want .

That's the point I've been making for days.
This report makes the Libs feel better, it
does nothing to change what will happen.
They will just get more secretive about it.
Prisoners say all the time they were tortured
when they weren't, might as well take advantage
of that. The public is so naive..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.