Firearms With Face

September 14th, 2019 at 2:34:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
My daughter shoots in Fast Draw competitions. Twice she has come in 4th place in the world ladies competition. Many years ago she won the junior competition. She shoots a 45 caliber with 7 inch barrel. Her best time is around four tenths of a second.
That is really admirable.

How did she get interested in that?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
September 14th, 2019 at 6:00:20 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 28
Quote: petroglyph
That is really admirable.

How did she get interested in that?

Her Grandfather is a Fast Draw enthusiast.
September 14th, 2019 at 6:19:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Her Grandfather is a Fast Draw enthusiast.
I don't know how accurate it was, but I was "measured" for speed of quick draw once? The machine said I pulled and shot in .75 seconds. I thought I was fast.

Takes me a lot longer these days. My plan is to just shoot through my hoodie pocket without removing the pistol first.

I wonder if I should try that once first with an old hoodie?

Slightly OT. I had a friend who shot a moose from his Zodiak inflatable boat. The flash from the end of the barrel popped a hole in it.

Before I learned, I would fold up a jacket and use the hood of my pick up for a rest in the old days. Now that old truck has a rust spot where the muzzle flash torched the paint. Good times.
September 14th, 2019 at 6:22:48 PM permalink
DRich
I don't know how accurate it was, but I was "measured" for speed of quick draw once? The machine said I pulled and shot in .75 seconds. I thought I was fast.

.75 is very fast for a beginner. Amazingly I have never tried it. I am pretty sure I would shoot my foot through the holster.

I think the fastest I ever saw was 0.29 seconds
September 14th, 2019 at 7:50:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
.75 is very fast for a beginner. Amazingly I have never tried it. I am pretty sure I would shoot my foot through the holster.

I think the fastest I ever saw was 0.29 seconds
I didn't have real bullets either.
September 15th, 2019 at 1:10:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 59
My daughter shoots in Fast Draw competitions. .
I would be afraid to get in habit of a fast draw. I think back to the movie The Getaway wherein a bank robber shot and killed a guard simply because the guard sneezed. There are some times I would want to pause and reflect.
September 15th, 2019 at 6:46:16 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Fleastiff
I would be afraid to get in habit of a fast draw. I think back to the movie The Getaway wherein a bank robber shot and killed a guard simply because the guard sneezed. There are some times I would want to pause and reflect.

Most of them don't open carry. They just strap them on for practice and competition.
October 7th, 2019 at 1:32:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Damn statistics: "FBI Data Shows 5 Times More People Killed by Knives Than Rifles Last Year"

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/fbi-data-rifles-knives/

"150 more people killed with hammers than rifles" FBI doesn't differentiate between rifles and assault rifles, but I guess if you get killed by a rifle, then by definition it was an assault rifle.
October 7th, 2019 at 1:39:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 47
Damn statistics: "FBI Data Shows 5 Times More People Killed by Knives Than Rifles Last Year"

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/fbi-data-rifles-knives/

"150 more people killed with hammers than rifles" FBI doesn't differentiate between rifles and assault rifles, but I guess if you get killed by a rifle, then by definition it was an assault rifle.

Whats the most people killed with 1 knife and how far did the knife travel?
Whats the most people killed by 1 rifle and how far did the bullets travel?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 7th, 2019 at 1:51:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
Whats the most people killed with 1 knife and how far did the knife travel?
Probably round the world? Some think Jack the Ripper traveled to New York. I know it's a trick question but from camp Pendleton to Afghanistan is about 7761 miles.

Quote:
Whats the most people killed by 1 rifle and how far did the bullets travel?
The current record is about 3871 yds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

The point of my post which I think you understood was, taking AR's away from folks won't even put a dent on murders, but pols need to have an answer to the panic of the herd and "do something, even if it's wrong".

Nobody seems to want to address where the majority of killings are happening, or with what weapon. So until we all want to have an open and honest discussion about the facts, sillyness will prevail.