Firearms With Face

Page 54 of 54« First<51525354
April 29th, 2020 at 9:22:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 23
Quote: gamerfreak
At that price point, you could get Walther P22 or 1911 Gov Tribute

For an extra $30-$60 you could get a Glock G44, Beretta M9, or a Ruger Mark IV, which many say is the definitive rimfire pistol
A lot of people favor, "what they have" in a, to me, is a, mine's bigger than yours syndrome.

Quote:
Maybe you got a good deal?
Prolly not. I think I ended up giving around 340 after taxes. I got the little speed loader aftermarket and loaded a mag with it, easy peazy.

Each of those mentioned have someone on the internet saying they are the best/worst.

I'm thinking about getting this for my son to match his 44? https://grabagun.com/s-w-617-6-22lr-sts-tt-10-shot.html

A lot cheaper and more likely to practice 5-10 thousand rounds before going back out with grizzly's up north.

The Taurus is a gift also, if the guy doesn't like it, I don't care if he tosses it in the river.

But for protection, like the 44, I believe in a ton of practice. I think it is an easy jump for the son to make, from an almost identical .44 from the .22.

I read up on the Glock .22 before getting the Taurus, idk, just something different. And I don't have a .22, at this time.

I'm thinking about either searching again for that Keltec P-17 or the new .22 lcp, which is near identical to my .380 which I use for cc. I handed my LCP .380 to my wife not long ago, and she really liked how it fits her hands, so I'll get the identical .22 for her, it holds ten and so far, my .380 has been flawless. She might let me shoot her .22 if I promise to clean it.

I got a "HillJack" speedloader for the mags on the Taurus, so far I'm tickled with how easy it makes loading the mags. They hold 16 and that is a struggle for old hands.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
April 29th, 2020 at 10:02:16 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 2
Quote: petroglyph
A lot of people favor, "what they have" in a, to me, is a, mine's bigger than yours syndrome.

Prolly not. I think I ended up giving around 340 after taxes. I got the little speed loader aftermarket and loaded a mag with it, easy peazy.

Each of those mentioned have someone on the internet saying they are the best/worst.

I'm thinking about getting this for my son to match his 44? https://grabagun.com/s-w-617-6-22lr-sts-tt-10-shot.html

A lot cheaper and more likely to practice 5-10 thousand rounds before going back out with grizzly's up north.

The Taurus is a gift also, if the guy doesn't like it, I don't care if he tosses it in the river.

But for protection, like the 44, I believe in a ton of practice. I think it is an easy jump for the son to make, from an almost identical .44 from the .22.

I read up on the Glock .22 before getting the Taurus, idk, just something different. And I don't have a .22, at this time.

I'm thinking about either searching again for that Keltec P-17 or the new .22 lcp, which is near identical to my .380 which I have for cc. I handed my LCP .380 to my wife not long ago, and she really liked how it fits her hands, so I'll get the identical .22 for her, it holds ten and so far, my .380 has been flawless. She might let me shoot her .22 if I promise to clean it.

I got a "HillJack" speedloader for the mags on the Taurus, so far I'm tickled with how easy it makes loading the mags. They hold 16 and that is a struggle for old hands.

Yea, you will find opposing opinions on pretty much any gun related statement. Iím just giving my $0.02 here, which with my lack of experience is probably worth less than that.

Neither 22LR or 44Mag are a good idea for self defense. IMO 9mm is the only logical choice for a self defense pistol round.

.22 is bad not only for the lack of stopping power, but extreme unreliability of rimfire cartridges.

While yes, a 44Mag technically has more stopping power than a 9mm, it doesnít matter. Iíll explain why...

Handgun wounds are shockingly survivable. I guarantee you can research some statistics that back this up. As an EMT, I have seen someone survive several minutes after a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Sometimes even longer with a well placed center mass shot, even remaining lucid and ambulatory during that time. If you donít believe me, there are several videos of police shootings on the internet where they drop a guy and he gets right back up.

The difference in ballistics between centerfire handgun rounds is minimal. You want adequate stopping power while still minimizing recoil to allow for as many accurate center mass shots as possible. Even the most seasoned shooters are going to be more accurate with a 9mm than a .45 or 44 when it comes to 2-3 quick centermass shots.

That is why virtually all police departments, the FBI, and government agencies have switched to the 9mm as a standard issue sidearm.

Again I lack experience, Iíve shot a good bit but have just recently started getting into the weeds when it comes to this stuff, so maybe Face can weigh in.
April 29th, 2020 at 11:54:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Yea, you will find opposing opinions on pretty much any gun related statement. Iím just giving my $0.02 here, which with my lack of experience is probably worth less than that.

Neither 22LR or 44Mag are a good idea for self defense. IMO 9mm is the only logical choice for a self defense pistol round.

.22 is bad not only for the lack of stopping power, but extreme unreliability of rimfire cartridges.

While yes, a 44Mag technically has more stopping power than a 9mm, it doesnít matter. Iíll explain why...
The self defense the .44 is four, isn't humans. It's for grizzly bears. And no, a 44 isn't the best, but what is? Bears really don't care much about 9's.

In Ak., when using a .44 for bear defense, they tell you to file the front site off.
April 30th, 2020 at 5:09:22 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 2
Quote: petroglyph
The self defense the .44 is four, isn't humans. It's for grizzly bears. And no, a 44 isn't the best, but what is? Bears really don't care much about 9's.

In Ak., when using a .44 for bear defense, they tell you to file the front site off.

Ah ok thatís completely different

I told you not to listen to me :)
April 30th, 2020 at 2:47:14 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61

Ick, why the Taurus?

They have such a terrible reputation for quality control.

Cousin's b/f said his "came out of timing". I... didn't even know that was possible in a gd wheel gun. .44mag hit (partially) the front of the cylinder. Ka-plowie.

Again I lack experience, Iíve shot a good bit but have just recently started getting into the weeds when it comes to this stuff, so maybe Face can weigh in.

If you've been an EMT to see survivable (if only for a moment) head shots, then I must imagine you've seen the opposite. A shelf bonked him on the head - dead. Or he just broke a bone, but that bone nicked an artery - dead. Or he just got hit in the chest, we were playing basketball - dead.

Dunno if it's perfect strategy, but WoV taught me that when answer is unknown, you follow the math. You play the odds, the probabilities. So when guns and "stopping power" is mentioned, that's where I go. If guns work by causing blood loss, then you must first hit the target. And if you hit the target, you want the biggest hole possible. That means you wield the biggest weapon you can without dropping out of that really-high-probability-of-hit realm.

And that answer is about as personal a thing as can be, I think. I'm not bad with a full frame .22mag, but I ain't good neither. My microscopic .357 I've barely shot; every wheel is within a cantaloupe @40' it's just so natural. My former G22 was dogs#$%. Fantastic gun and I would recommend Glock for a thousand reasons, but I could not hit a goddamn thing with it. Not even precise inaccuracy, every round was all over the gd place. Give it Pops and tack-tack-tack. Back to me and ping-pew-peyowwwwwww, all over the place. Switch to Pop's G20 and I could get the targets spinning; pang-pang-pang...

I can't feel a bit of difference between the "boring" .40 and the hot s#$% 10mm. Only thing I feel is the fatter grip. And the .44 is what I learned to shoot on. When I went into bear country, the very few times I wasn't strapped akimbo (lol), I carried the single action .44 over the semi 10mm. The 10mm is better in every single way, every measurable metric,... but I knew I wouldn't miss the with .44. Which is why I'm getting a .460 when the world opens back up. Heavy hand cannons is what's "natural" for me, what bests satisfies the first priority - rounds on target. And <->, then go biggest.

Petro seems to have an affinity for .22. If you spent all year doing nothing but putting a crate of 30 grain pellets down range, then you'd probably argue a .22mag is the superior carry weapon, and you'd site the old timey gangsters as evidence, and for YOU, you'd be 100% right.

It's an answer that can't be given because it must be found. And that's why we all have 30 guns =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 19th, 2020 at 7:31:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2020/05/18/nz-gun-crime-rates-soar-gun-bans/

"NZ Gun Crime Rates Soar Following Gun Bans"
Page 54 of 54« First<51525354