Firearms With Face

January 13th, 2013 at 9:10:32 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 5
Quote: Face
I needed something to cheer me up after all this bad news on the gun front. And I found something that made me smile. Smile along with me, won't you? =)

6 and 8 shot double action revolvers. Amazing. Look at that reload!

I suppose wheel guns are now going to be considered "assault weapons", too?

That reload is just impossible.

EDIT: Also, how does that embedded youtube video work? Is that undocumented forum functionality? I don't see it in the formatting codes list...
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 14th, 2013 at 3:51:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 54
The only industry without a chart-happy lobbyist is the tin foil industry.

Note: Recently encountered a brief video of herds of feral boars supposedly menacing vehicles on Texas highways. Commentary was that if you go deer hunting you better have a sidearm strapped to your thigh because in Texas its not whether you have a gun or not, its how many you have!
January 14th, 2013 at 11:47:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 851
Quote: AcesAndEights
EDIT: Also, how does that embedded youtube video work? Is that undocumented forum functionality? I don't see it in the formatting codes list...

It used to be in the help file. It must have been deleted by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGmbr_udAo (URL for video)
youtube=aMGmbr_udAo (enclose this abbreviation in square brackets)
January 14th, 2013 at 1:36:46 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
But I'm not about to adopt a tin foil hat view on everything just because there are so many competing agendas trying to color all the results.

I caught hell for dismissing stats before, so again, I hope that's not how my post was taken. I just want to point out and clarify that a stat, in and of itself, has little meaning. It is mearly a data point, a tiny piece of a much larger puzzle. If you want to, say, make a case for pro or anti gun, taking one stat from one source is meaningless. It might fool the sheep, but I hope to encourage everyone to be smarter than that. You need to take several stats from several sources as well as determine how those stats were obtained and tallied.

If you just want to post numbers to support your cause, hell, that's easy. But if you want to be a well informed individual, if you really care about the situation and want to make a decision that affects it, you need to look deeper. Much deeper.

Quote: AcesAndEights
That reload is just impossible.

Sick, isn't it? Me and my girl must've watched it 30 times. I just wish the video was a little better to see in detail just how the hell he does it.

That guy is obviously highly trained, and his skill is on the upper end of what's humanly possible. But to obtain a skill that's similar isn't that hard, it just takes a little practice. Knowing this is largely why I get so dumbfounded at these asinine restrictions about action types and mag limits.

I posted earlier in this thread that I could fire 10 shots from my GLOCK, field strip it, reassemble, and fire again in under 20 seconds. To be honest, that was a talking-out-of-my-ass guess. That's not something I've ever tried, nor do I practice field stripping. Stripping's just a chore, one where time means nothing and is not something I've even thought of practicing. But I figured I'd try it once, just to see how bad of a lie I told. 10 shots, a complete field strip, reassemble, cock and shoot again took me 16 seconds. I'm not trained in this, I've never trained in this, and I've probably only taken my GLOCK apart 20 maybe 30 times in the 1yr+ I've owned it, yet I just picked it up and did it. How fast then do you think I could change a mag? 2-3 seconds? What if I put in just a minimum of practice? 1 second? Less? So what's the point of lowering the GLOCK standard of 17+1 rounds to the NYS mandate of 10? Does the 10 round limit accomplish anything, or does it just placate those who can't or refuse to think?

Quote: Fleastiff
Note: Recently encountered a brief video of herds of feral boars supposedly menacing vehicles on Texas highways. Commentary was that if you go deer hunting you better have a sidearm strapped to your thigh because in Texas its not whether you have a gun or not, its how many you have!

Yeah, those things are nasty. Saw some hunting vids of guys taking them with hand thrown spears. Talk about dim bulbs. I wouldn't even hit the woods without a hi-cap, high caliber weapon, let alone purposely track them down and injure them with a sharp stick.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 15th, 2013 at 3:48:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 92
Quote: Face
Yeah, those things are nasty. Saw some hunting vids of guys taking them with hand thrown spears. Talk about dim bulbs. I wouldn't even hit the woods without a hi-cap, high caliber weapon, let alone purposely track them down and injure them with a sharp stick.

I've watched some stuff to try to figure out what these guys are doing. The finish-them-off-with-a-bowie-knife thing really mystified me, seems way too dangerous. But something somebody said clued me in, if I understand it right, and *if* they were right: a hog can't turn his neck to get you! He has to turn nearly his whole body it seems [I'm not sure so don't take that to the bank]

At some point the hog will do a last stand against the dogs, looks like. So the technique seems to be to straddle the hog while it is kind of backed into a place where it tends to get for protection; this being into brush that protects the hog from the dogs' attacks from side and rear. Straddling, then plunge the knife into the neck and then run like hell.

Spears are probably safer!

Then I saw another thing on TV sometime later about a guy who was following up on a wounded hog. The guy was relating the story. Wounded animal comes tearing out of the brush and gets him in the calf with its tusks, tearing a big hole, then runs off. He was showing the scar. He said the Doc told him his Femoral artery was pushed to one side but didnt tear open. That artery is basically the Jugular of the lower extremities. Cut it and if someone doesnt get a tourniquet on it immediately you will die in minutes, and you always lose a ton of blood no matter. For tourniquets, the calf is better than the thigh, and high into the thigh is a death sentence out in the sticks. But.... am I going hog hunting?

Actually, of course I would accept if someone was offering. Can't live forever. PS: no, they wouldnt talk me into the knife thing. Maybe the spear.
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
January 15th, 2013 at 8:03:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 54
There are a great many "tricks" in life: an alligator has very weak muscles to open its mouth and very strong ones to close them. So alligator wrestling is mainly for show as long as you keep his mouth shut and don't become confused as to this open/shut stuff.

A boar can't rend you without first turning.

A snake swimming on water will think your hand is prey and will strike it but can't close its mouth on it if you keep your hand vertical, not horizontal. So when you feel a snake hit one hand, use the other hand to grab it just behind the head. Again, confusion as to vertical and horizontal can prove difficult, so can hesitation.

Some of these things are perhaps best untested, such as singing to a bear is better than talking to it. I prefer to do neither, though I know enough to stand my ground and not run because that will surely invite an attack.

Perhaps there are more tricks and maybe they are old wive's tales or maybe there is some truth to them. I think that if I were out and about in the wilds living as a survivalist or a fugitive, I would have to learn these things but have a good gun handy just to be sure. Fortunately for me, my days of going off to Alaska or something are over with. The closest I get nowadays is to play channel roulette and watch something about Pseudo-Reality Woodsmen as I reach for the Geritol bottle.

Alot depends on how one grows up. The most decorated combat soldier of WW II, Audie Murphy, grew up dirt poor in East Texas and was hunting at age nine. By age 12 he was the sole support of his family. If he didn't hunt successfully, his family didn't eat. Is it any wonder with all that experience in noting vegetation, wind, thinking like a predator and thinking like prey he became a good combat soldier? Same thing with the Marianas Turkey Shoot: 10 percent of the planes got 90 percent of the kills. In analyzing why the Army finally realized all those top pilots grew up in very rural areas where they learned to shoot where the target will be when the bullet gets there. Good practice for shooting at a high speed fighter plane.

America used to be far more rural than it is now. Guns were accepted. They were neither luxuries nor toys. People learned to shoot and learned to keep a gun handy at all times. Now we often live as if fish were only found in fish markets and come already dressed and wrapped in Saran wrap. And if we hear gunshots, we either turn off the kids television set or we call the police, we don't reach for own firearms.

In gaining Suburbia and the gentrification of Central Business Districts we may have lost a good deal of the rural self-sufficiency that made this country great. Criminals, be they sane or insane, are rarely stupid. They don't attack well defended targets. Stressed out types can be encountered in rural, urban or suburban areas now. The only countervailing influence to it all is that there has to be a core number of gun owners whose experience spans responsible lessons and responsible actions. A belief in gun ownership is fine and dandy, but when someone is shooting up the whole neighborhood its time to shoot back, not time to talk about gun ownership.
January 15th, 2013 at 3:56:52 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
Actually, of course I would accept if someone was offering. Can't live forever. PS: no, they wouldnt talk me into the knife thing. Maybe the spear.

Not me. In this case, the thrill of the event doesn't overcome the threat to my safety. I'm not one to punk out on things, but this one's all you. Post some pics! ;)

Quote: Fleastiff
America used to be far more rural than it is now. Guns were accepted. They were neither luxuries nor toys. People learned to shoot and learned to keep a gun handy at all times. Now we often live as if fish were only found in fish markets and come already dressed and wrapped in Saran wrap. And if we hear gunshots, we either turn off the kids television set or we call the police, we don't reach for own firearms.

In gaining Suburbia and the gentrification of Central Business Districts we may have lost a good deal of the rural self-sufficiency that made this country great. Criminals, be they sane or insane, are rarely stupid. They don't attack well defended targets. Stressed out types can be encountered in rural, urban or suburban areas now. The only countervailing influence to it all is that there has to be a core number of gun owners whose experience spans responsible lessons and responsible actions. A belief in gun ownership is fine and dandy, but when someone is shooting up the whole neighborhood its time to shoot back, not time to talk about gun ownership.

Great post, Flea. I've nothing more to add, just sublime.
January 15th, 2013 at 4:25:57 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
NYS Governor Cuomo's bill has passed 4:1 in the State Senate and is headed to the Assembly. For those who haven’t read the entire bill, here’s a summary:

#1 - “Assault Rifles” – Reduced the number of qualifying factors from 2 to 1. Any semi-automatic weapon that can receive a detachable clip and has one or more of the following: folding stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, or bayonet attachment, has to be either sold to an FFL carrying dealer or out of state, or it can be kept if registered with NYS. All registrations must be reviewed by State Police who will determine if you are allowed to keep it.

#2 - Capacity – All previously grandfathered mags which hold more than 10 rounds are illegal. You have 1 year to get rid of them or face misdemeanor charges. All mags of 10 rounds or less may be kept, but may not be filled with more than 7 rounds or you face misdemeanor charges. NYS’s new capacity limit lowers from 10 rounds to 7.

#3 - Purchasing of weapons and ammo – Inter-family sales are allowed, but you may not buy or sell weapons to another person without paying for an NCIS background check, or going through an FFL holding dealer. All internet sales of guns and ammo are banned unless shipped to an FFL dealer and picked up in person. All ammo purchasers must be ran through an NCIS check before allowed to purchase, and a database will be kept of your ammo purchases.

#4 - Licenses – All licenses and registrations must be renewed every five years.

There is more, but it is quite long. If you would like a migraine, the full bill can be found at http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

My beefs:
#1 - What is the point? Folding stocks decrease control, pistol grips interfere with operation, flash suppressors are pointless unless shooting in the dark, and bayonets are 99% cosmetic. Is this really public safety, or is it just mandatory registration to get mandatory fees?

#2 - Again, what's the point? It ain't safety. And how, exactly, is this going to be enforced? The 4th says you ain't entering my house, and even if they could, who would want to? Really, just what is the point?

#3 - I'm not entirely livid with this one, and can kind of see its purpose, but I wonder how this step forward is going to impact the future. Is it a real solution, or a foot in the door?

#4 - Ah, and isn't this the point of it all? Isn't it, really? A few million gun at $5-$20 a pop, depending where their greed-o-meter lands, every 5 years...yup.

Below is the website for the petition to support the investigation, and hopefully the repeal, of NYS’s newest gun legislation. To sign, simply click the link below which will take you directly to the page. Click “Create An Account”. Enter your Name, e-mail address, and zip code. A confirmation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail account. Write down the password provided in said e-mail (password is CASE SENSISTIVE). Return to the petition page, sign in using your e-mail and provided password, and click “Sign This Petition”. Easy peasy.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/rule-ny-safe-act-be-unconstitutional/W2KLT6t8

I wish for anyone pro-gun or pro-rights to assist us NY'ers in our fight. Help us keep our rights and take a stand against this nonsense.
January 15th, 2013 at 10:18:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 132
Here Face,

I found something I like in this gun video. Common ground, if you will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
January 15th, 2013 at 11:17:49 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
...gun video.

I'm sorry...you say there were guns in this vid? ;)