Racin' With Face

November 14th, 2013 at 7:44:04 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Face
I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

I gotta stop jinxing myself...

"Tomorrow" brought a bunch of aggravation. I decided to gut the door. It's basically the outer shell sandwiched to an inner shell that creates about 4" of void in the middle for your window, door latch mechanism and everything to sit. I figured if I left it as is and took a shot to the door, it'd crush in all 4" until it hit the roll cage and be a bitch to repair. If I gut it, I could put the bars all the way out to the outer shell, only allowing them to crinkle instead of cave.

Well, I burned up 2 whole cutting wheels trying to get the inner shell off, and two was all I had and two didn't get the job done. So I had to use the grinding wheel which is a bitch, and since I can't put the whole door in a vice, it was moving all over the place while I was trying to cut it. In all, it took about 2 hours for what should've been a 10 minute job.

So I finally get it out and get the door back on, and now I gotta measure for the driver's bars. But the door isn't uniform; it's not like measuring up to a flat wall. It's curved at the top and bottom, and it has a reinforcement bar through the middle. The main hoop that one end of the driver bars connect to slants in toward the middle of the car, and the front strut where the other end connects slants forward toward the engine compartment. So, since the 4 bars all meet at different points which are set at different lengths and angles, I have to make 6 measurements for four different bars. It'd be easy to wing it and just measure a tad long, cutting the bars down as needed. But, since it's angled, cutting it down would bring the bar both closer into the car as well as back toward the bar. Doing so would ruin the uniformity of them and cause issues. There's no other way other than measuring dead balls on, and I just couldn't figure it out last night. I have a bunch of plum bobs hanging, marks on the door denoting where the corners go, I've even mocked up masking tape to represent the bars,,, it just wasn't working. I reached that area of math that makes my brain come to a grinding halt and completely shut down.

I suppose I'll have to get good and drunk and try again tonight...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 14th, 2013 at 7:55:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 71
looking at the pics, clearly the car just needs some Bondo!
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
November 15th, 2013 at 7:55:47 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
looking at the pics, clearly the car just needs some Bondo!

Clearly XD

I never thought these words would leave my mouth, but I am tired of bondo. It's just been never ending. Every time I'm "done", I do something else and now see another area that needs touching up.

This for a car that has a very good chance of coming to rest on it's roof within the year!

I gotta stop. This is a hack job that I plan on smashing to hell and back, not a dream 'Cuda I'm trying to restore. I'm gonna blend in the door (after they're attached and welded shut), shave the door handles, and that's it. I've already gone through 2 gallons of the stuff and have probably at least one more to go. It's just gotten out of hand.

Feel free to take bets on how long it takes to break that little promise =p
November 18th, 2013 at 8:47:12 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
But that means I have but 11 days, only 3 of which are entirely free, to change 6 ball joints, 2 bearings, rebuild an engine, fab some seat brackets, install the seat, install the 5pt harness, diagnose and repair a tranny problem, and install an entire roll cage.

Well, it was 15 days, and I didn't get to the engine, but with the rest of that list being banged out, I gotta say I am pleased indeed =D

The weekend was gorgeous, so much so that I could leave the garage door open and didn't need the heater or multiple layers of clothes to do work. And said work went about as good as the weather.

The first order of business was getting all the welding work done so I could return the MIG. I figured I could start with mounting an exhaust hanger just to fully complete the exhaust portion of the job. Turns out, it was easier to just weld up a bodged "U" bolt and run it through the floor. So in about 5 minutes using some scraps I had laying around the garage, the exhaust job was finished off. I'm very pleased with the quality and ease with which that part was completed. I've just got to remember to wrap the pipe in hotrod tape, as it is pressed against the rubber undercoating of the body due to its unique positioning. Although, it's been on fire so many times already that maybe it doesn't matter...

The harness came next, and I suppose is "mostly complete'. The shoulder straps are a little long for where I originally planned to locate them, and I'm trying to find a new spot that's guaranteed to remain unmolested no matter bad of a wreck I'm involved in. I don't want my anchor point shifting and crushing me in the seat, ya know? But I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna connect the shoulders to the same ring as the lap and call it a day, since they're about perfect and I can't see installing another set of rings just inches away.

I really wish metal had a signal for when it's hot. I can't tell you how many welds I've leaned on, forgeting that just because it has stopped glowing, that it's still hot enough that you'll stick to it if you touch it. Fortunately, I usually have a few layers of clothes to allow a slow heat up and subsequent warning, but I stuck the end of my finger to those harness rings yesterday. Burned some shiny screw threads right into the tip. Owwies =(

Other than that, the only injury I got was from dropping a glob of molten weld into my shoe where I couldn't get it out in time before blistering. And of course, sweaty shoes and hockey skates got it nice and purple, full of infection. No bigs, it'll go away...but I dropped another glob right on that same spot yesterday. I tell ya... D. Ray White ain't got shit on Face with a shoe full of hot weld ;)

Since I was cooking right along, I did the window net too. This is probably the only thing I've been displeased with, and I've no choice but to just leave it. It went in easy enough, is rock solid, and I've no worries about it keeping anything smaller than a car from entering the driver's compartment... but something is off about it. I dunno, I'll just have to choose to not worry about it =p

I even got the bars measured to my satisfaction. As supposed, I just needed to get good and drunk (which I did at the Sabres/Leafs games the night prior), and it all came together. I sent the order out yesterday and hope to have the final pieces of the cage here by week's end.

With that, the entire interior will be completed, leaving only the engine, paint, and wheels/tires to do. I've already got the paint at the house and ready, already have an idea what to do about the wheels and tires.

Now if I could only make up my mind whether to rebuild or replant that engine...

November 18th, 2013 at 11:43:46 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

I even got the bars measured to my satisfaction. As supposed, I just needed to get good and drunk (which I did at the Sabres/Leafs games the night prior), and it all came together. I sent the order out yesterday and hope to have the final pieces of the cage here by week's end.

Best way to watch the Maple Laughs is good and drunk...

Enjoy seeing the progress, enjoy it even more when we see the first drive :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 18th, 2013 at 12:04:49 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
Best way to watch the Maple Laughs is good and drunk...

3 days before the game, former (and much loved) coach Ted Nolan returned along with former (and much loved) captain Pat LaFontaine, and they got rid of hated Darcy Regier. The instant the news dropped, I posted on Facebook that they got this psychological boost just in time for the Leafs game and my playoff bound, 11-4 Leafs were gonna lose to the dumpster diving, 3-14 Sabres.

I hate being right all the time ><

Quote: TheCesspit
Enjoy seeing the progress, enjoy it even more when we see the first drive :)

Thanks for tuning in! I hope to gave a GoPro by then, and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to get some videos on here for your viewing pleasure =)
November 28th, 2013 at 10:22:53 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Still cooking right along...

After just a three day wait, I came home to find the bars on my porch. Of course, I ripped my suit off fast as can be and set right to work.

It started off easy enough, and a few "work beers" had me in the groove. But somewhere along the way, I just got frustrated. In order to cut down a bar, I have to make four cuts into the end so that it's notched properly. To keep the bar uniform, I had to make those four cuts to each end. And since I'm wingin' and eyeballin', those 8 cuts had to be repeated 3-4-5 times to get it right. After burning through 2 cutting wheels, I just got fed up and quit with only two bars fitted.

I came home the next day a little more mentally prepared and banged out the last two. I took more risks by cutting more at a time, but both times they slotted right in as if I did it on purpose. A few tacks to hold them in place, finally measured to find they were eyeballed dead on, and I finished off the day welding them solid.

The cage is complete!

I suppose I might add one more support and it of course needs grinding, washing, and paint, but the fab work is complete. And damn it, I did almost the whole thing myself. Gotta say, I'm feeling mighty proud =)

This week was also a week of decisions. I damn near cracked my mind on the engine, but finally had to just buy one before I went truly mad. I settled on a JDM D15B, an import from the Land of the Rising Sun. I was hemming and hawing on how big I wanted to go, figuring I could always upgrade down the road, but I ended up going with the biggest right off the bat. It's a SOHC with VTEC, pumping out a whopping 128hp, the most powerful motor I could get within the rules. I went from "just trying to get on the track" to setting myself up to be a front runner, and I can't say I'm disappointed in the decision =) I even did my research and wont have to fab motor mounts, won't have to change the ECU, won't need to replace the tranny (although I might later for performance reasons). Pretty much all I have to suss out, other than swapping a motor all by myself, is wiring in the VTEC into a non-VTEC car, which is all of two wires. I'm riding a wave of confidence, and reckon I'll be able to pull it off.

Said engine just got shipped from Montreal, and is on its way here as we speak. Oh, and shipping included, I got it for $750 and not the $1,000 I estimated for the rebuild =)

And to top it all off, I settled on tires. I managed to find some 13" Toyo R888's, a real, hardcore set of rubber. Say true, these things damn near cost more than the car itself, but I got them for $590 instead of the $700 I had estimated. As far as quality goes, you're not gonna find another set of DOT rubber that's gonna outperform these. My only worry was that I'd have to keep them inside due to the rubber compound reacting negatively to the NY winter. But Ash was all for it, so they're currently nestled comfortably in my dining room, warm and cozy =)

ID: Original: Adjusted: Actual:
Compressor and Tools $1,000 $850 $590
Trailer $5,000 $2,100 $1,000
Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Paint Supplies $200 $200 $200
Roll Cage $1,500 $300 $550
Rims and Race Tires $200 $50 $590
Race Seat $400 $400 $250
5pt Harness $200 $200 $70
Window Net $40 $40 $40
Fire Suit and Helmet $1,200 $1,200 $TBD
Engine Rebuild $0 $0 $750
Bearings, Ball Joints, Control Arms and Tie Rods $0 $0 $820
Exhaust $0 $0 $0
Total $14,660 $8,260 $5,860+TBD

Estimated Fires Set 0 0 24
December 3rd, 2013 at 5:43:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 117
This is a guy I followed for several years when I was upgrading my del sol.

http://www.theoldone.com/Facility/index.htm

The shop, descriptions, and pics all the way down the page should look impressive. (his reputation is somewhat like (initials) RS, of various gambling boards, so.... you should know what that means!!!) Everything is not as it seems.

But I thought it might interest you just to look though.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
December 3rd, 2013 at 9:22:52 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Did he find a flaw in the ECU that gained him 50hp that no one else knew about? ;)

Gotta say, I'm mad jealous of his cleaning equipment. My entire collection of sweatpants and hoodies are now toast because everything under my hood is a mess. The amount of sludge on my tranny alone would boggle one's mind, and I've got nothing more than some old rags and elbow grease to improve the situation. I hope to be able to clean it a bit once it's pulled, but it still ain't gonna be close to what that guy's got.

I've been cleaning parts in the sink like a proper dirtbag. Did the old calipers and new brake disks today, and holy shit, does brake cleaner pack a punch. I can take unconverted exhaust with a blown head gasket and only get mildly burning eyes, can paint in a small booth and only catch a partial buzz, but that brake cleaner damn near knocked me on my ass. And I did it in my kitchen ><

I can't believe I found a girl that tolerates all this mess XD
December 3rd, 2013 at 9:58:09 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
A week of minor snags and random surprises...

As I was welding the doors shut, I saw the cage flex when I leaned into it. The geometry of it just wasn't there for that type of force, a force which mirrors, although on an ultra small scale, what a driver's side impact would produce. That was no good, so I installed the optional dash bar, tying in the front A-pillar supports to each other. Well, first I took a big whack at cutting the pipe and cut a full 2" too much off, requiring me to reweld it all together. But it got me "repair weld" experience and the bar don't even look like it's been cut, so some pride came to me that day. Then I installed the bar, got it all solid and in there, and I now feel confident that I can take any sort of crash and not have my cockpit dimensions change in any way.

While I was in there, I hopped in the seat and got the belts sorted out "just right". Then I railed my head off the main hoop while seated which showed me where I'll need padding. I then put the window net up and went through all the motions I'd need while in the car, and everything was natural and accessible. I even tried a quick escape in case of fire, and while not pretty, comfortable, or easy in any way, it's not impossible.

I managed to figure out the original engine that came in the car, a D15B2. Good thing I did, because I also found out that the jackwad that did the transplant never updated, well, anything else that needed to be done for the car to work properly. I guess that explains the misfires I experienced on the test drive.

So, some additional expenses has to go out. I had to switch from the ODB0 the B2 had for its DPFI to an OBD1 for the JDM's MPFI. The problem is that the P08 ECU needed for that application is a hot ticket in high demand, and as it is a 24 year old part from Japan, ain't that easy to track down, or pay for. Checking forums gave story upon story of failure to find one, substituting a P28, or having one chipped or modified to work. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Of course, my very first search provided nothing but a bunch of ECUs for which I had no use. As is customary, a habit I got from WoV of all places, I immediately hit "refresh". You know, in case someone posted in the microsecond I wasn't paying attention. Lo and behold "Just Added"! 92-95 JDM P08 ECU for $125. Ain't no one ever made a purchase faster than I did today, and the impossible to find PCU should be leaving Honolulu for WNY tomorrow.

I also needed a VTEC sub harness, since my car is a non-VTEC chassis. 2 seconds and $30 later, it, too, is on it's way here.

I suppose the last piece of the puzzle is getting an OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness, but at ~$150, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm thinking of maybe rigging it together using just some "injunuity" and copious amounts of cursing, but reckon I'll end up caving an buying that, too.

To prepare, I began unhooking everything from the motor to get it ready for pulling. Never in history has such a level of mechanical genius couple with extreme mental retardation existed in one individual. Gimme a 17mm and 32mm socket, a flathead, needlenose, and a big ass hammer, and I can have an entire corner disassembled in 4 minutes. Uppers, lowers, knuckle, axle, calipers, rotors, bing, bang, boom. Done. All apart. I go into the engine bay, and I transform into the weirdest Jekyll and Hyde. I'm listing everything I do so I can remember how to put it back together. And it starts off ace. Throttle positioning sensor? Yup, know what that is, it goes on the list. Throttle cable, clutch cable, cable tensioners, engine harness, it almost sounds like I know what I'm doing. But look closer. "#8 - thin black hose (firewall) into green can thing". "#10 - thick black hose from green can thing to pill bottle thing on firewall". "#16 - Giant hose from firewall into bottom of spider looking thing".

This should be interesting =) But anyways, it's completely unhooked and ready to pull.

The surprise came with the bumper cover. At $150 for something I'm just gonna smash, I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one. So I made a stop up to my new buddy EJ's house. You know, the Honda hoarder that I bought the car from. Well, dude has about 5 CRX's, and he walked my out to the back where one sat and offered to let me have it at no cost. He offered tools, jacks, a 4wheeler to tool around in, but in 90 seconds flat, I had a brand new bumper cover off the car and headed back to my house. This dude is the coolest guy one would ever want to meet, and he has offered his land of plenty up for my use, should I need parts in the future.

The engine will be here tomorrow, the Sheriff's coming by with a hoist and some man power, my wiring should be here within the week...

I need to find a way to kill the rest of the winter...

Compressor and Tools $1,000 $850 $590
Trailer $5,000 $2,100 $1,000
Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Paint Supplies $200 $200 $200
Roll Cage $1,500 $300 $550
Rims and Race Tires $200 $50 $590
Race Seat $400 $400 $250
5pt Harness $200 $200 $70
Window Net $40 $40 $40
Fire Suit and Helmet $1,200 $1,200 $TBD
Engine Rebuild $0 $0 $750
Bearings, Ball Joints, Control Arms and Tie Rods $0 $0 $820
Exhaust $0 $0 $0
ECU $0 $0 $130
VTEC Harness $0 $0 $30
Bumper Cover $0 $0 $0
Total $14,660 $8,260 $6,020+TBD

Estimated Fires Set 0 0 27