Racin' With Face

June 19th, 2016 at 6:38:39 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 18
Sorry to hear it Face. It sounds like you need about 10 days cruising around Jost Van Dyke, Norman and Peter Islands to clear your head.

Maybe a nice drink with some friends at the Willy-T.

June 20th, 2016 at 10:19:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
Quote: Face
...redemption is still attainable. So I'm gonna keep on pushing..

I'm sad to hear about the current season, but glad to hear that you are staying in the game Face. It would be a shame if all your hard work, sacrifice, and hard earned experience went to naught.

Maybe it is time to save for that engine swap, (or at least all new electrical, including sensors)? Is everything cool with the sponsor?
June 20th, 2016 at 4:20:50 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Lucky you didn't end up in jail.

How so?

It was actually kind of a funny stop that I would have enjoyed under different circumstances, especially once we got passed the gun part.
"How many you have?"
"Huh?"
"What's up with those beers?"
"Oh, they're old"
"OK, good. You know your sticker here went dead on 10/15?"
"Hehe, yeah. It's old, the new one is sitting on my kitchen counter. But it is good. You know, legal and shit"
"Mmhmm. I'll be right back"
(comes back)
"So we got an old tag on the trailer, and that's what I wrote. You got an old tag on the truck, please fix it. Old beers, get rid of them. And your... man, your tires are shot. All 4 of them, you know that?"
"Yeah haha,... they're (haha)... they're old, too!"
(cop laughs)

It's just a trailer tag. Worst case they impound it.

Quote: rxwine
For me, it'd be worth the $150 just to finally know what was wrong. Of course, there's a 50% chance I'd park near a bluff in idle and drop a heavy stone on the gas pedal and watch it go over.

Yes, that is certainly part of it. I just gotta know.

But you can save your heavy stone. Only way it's getting over 40 is if you have something else pushing it =( =p

Quote: DRich
Sorry to hear it Face. It sounds like you need about 10 days cruising around Jost Van Dyke, Norman and Peter Islands to clear your head.

Maybe a nice drink with some friends at the Willy-T.

Just waiting for the invite. You ready now? ;)

Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm sad to hear about the current season, but glad to hear that you are staying in the game Face. It would be a shame if all your hard work, sacrifice, and hard earned experience went to naught.

Maybe it is time to save for that engine swap, (or at least all new electrical, including sensors)? Is everything cool with the sponsor?

I'm sad as well, but I can still see plenty of areas to achieve victory. Hell, taking to the track under power will be one in and of itself. The points may be one point of racing, but it's not near the entirety of this exercise. And really... I get what EB says about knowing when to quit, and I won't sit here and pretend I'm already a master of that lesson. Maybe, in hindsight, I will see the point to quit and I will see myself way passed it. I dunno. But what I do know is I can't go out like this. Failed and quit or quit and fail, however you look at it, that's not me. Failing is acceptable, but if and only if you gave it your all. I've been giving, but I've not yet given. Until then, I gotta just keep pushing.

We'll see on the swap. It's not a matter of "save", I could swap it three times over with just what's in my account now. But I'm not sure if that would even fix it. I still am almost completely convinced this is an electrical issue, and if said issue is in the car itself, a swap will do nothing.

The sponsor deal is nothing major, except another huge strike to my pride. Kickstart is a band that an old college buddy heads. He's gutted, surely, but it's just as much for me as it is his own disappointment. He has a better idea than most of what I went through, and we share a sort of kinship because he, with his band, also started from nothing and has toiled to make it what it is. He "gets it" that way. And him I put on for free because I really dig his sound, so there's no issue on any front there. Summit is likewise an old friend. Hockey teammate, actually, been playing together must be 12 years now. He doesn't even know this is all happening. I haven't been able to tell him, and I don't know what I would tell him if I could. I did demand that he allow me to reimburse him for just this exact issue, because that's the way I am. Rain out? Not my fault. I get put in the hospital? That's the risk you take with me. But if I'm not on the track for no other reason than my own failure, you don't pay for that. I had told him I would do a sort of pro-rated thing. (Money / races) x races missed = your refund. At this point, his check is still stuck to my fridge, uncashed. I am fully prepared to return the whole thing and run him on the hood for free, if he'll accept it.

Talked with the wrench and he's got the equipment needed I spoke of last time. He's going out of town for two and wanted to confer with his apprentice as he didn't want to get him in over his head. Whether it's a go or not doesn't really matter, I don't expect to be on track this Saturday either way. But I am hoping this will be my last miss. Regardless, I'm not stopping until I'm ripping or it's September.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 20th, 2016 at 5:17:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 110
Quote: Face
How so?

In lots of areas all that and
a firearm in the car would
have got it impounded and
you jailed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2016 at 5:35:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Nothing about this in a week from Face.
Is racing out for the summer? 4th of July
weekend coming in 4 days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2016 at 3:11:43 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Nothing about this in a week from Face.
Is racing out for the summer? 4th of July
weekend coming in 4 days.

I think it's time to say that it is.

I called the wrench back to clarify what he said, and perhaps a little was just to see if he was really serious. I guess, with so many disappointments, I've grown a little gun shy. He clarified that he already had everything. I asked him if then all he needed was the car. He said he was going out of town for a few days and didn't want the apprentice overwhelmed, but he'd get with me and we'd get it done. That was Monday (2 Mondays ago).

By Thursday I had reached panic mode again. I was fine missing the 25th, but I wanted it started before then, just because I've seen how this works. I texted the apprentice that we were giving it another shot, to which he replied there was no "we" as he was up to his eyes in low compression on a Bimmer. So, pissed and embarrassed, I just waited for the master to return and call me. The call never came.

The only way I'm hitting the track this year is to tow this POS >40min away and start all over with a new wrench. And I just don't have that in me. I returned to the track on the 25th with my kid and we sat in the stands as spectators. Had a good time, too. There was certainly more than a twinge when my class took the track, and there was more than one, especially when Ben won the feature in a CRX and Jeff is leading the points in the only other CRX. That was a bit hard to watch. But overall, I just had a good time. Me and the kid =)

I finally let go, and it feels good. My house has been in such disrepair. I still have hoodies and sweatpants in my laundry, that's how consumed with this car I've been. Got weeds 4' high in my garden, ain't mowed the yard but maybe thrice all year. I've officially pulled the plug. Called the sponsors and everything (and they immediately said "in for '17"). For now, the car must sleep.

But (not that it's a huge draw for this crowd) I suspect a "Freestyle with Face" thread blossoming soon. The kid is pleased as punch with shore fishing for panfish, so he wants wheelers instead of a boat. I already found his and I'm in talks right now for one for me. If I can manage to find one not ragged to hell and back, I'll be spending the rest of the summer ragging one to hell and back. With video, of course. Can't miss the opportunity to memorialize one of my epic wrecks, so that might provide some entertainment to get you all by ;)

On the racing front, no part of me feels done, by desire or necessity. The Charger class had two beauts this year, one an El Camino and another a GD Caprice Wagon (at least I assume it was a Caprice). And the wagon stomped the field, fastest damn grocery getter I ever did see. I'm not near ready for Chargers, neither by skill nor by knowledge, but... who knows? Part of me wants to stick with Hornets as I've gotten the knowledge, know the cars, know some setup tricks. Other part of me wants to stop f#$%ing around and just get to where I want to be. But while neither idea is winning right now, all of me still wants to race. Assuming life stops throwing me junk balls, I totally plan to be right back at it =)

So, sorry again for the disappointment, but thanks a ton for coming along for the ride so far. Y'all have added a little something to this all and I appreciate it. Hopefully a few months from now will give us all something to cheer about. Until then, until next time. Safe and happy 4th to all =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 27th, 2016 at 4:07:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Nothing ever (ever) works out exactly like
you think it will. Its best to have general
plans, your plans were way too specific
and had time limits. You were almost
doomed for at least partial failure.
June 27th, 2016 at 5:10:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 18
Sorry to hear it Face. I really enjoyed the journey.

May I suggest you try a simpler less expensive racing endeavor?

I was thinking Belt Sander Racing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hCPe4KNtg
June 27th, 2016 at 6:58:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 119
Quote: DRich
Sorry to hear it Face. I really enjoyed the journey.

May I suggest you try a simpler less expensive racing endeavor?

I was thinking Belt Sander Racing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hCPe4KNtg

Or

https://youtu.be/w3vjUlTs6CA?t=115

actually, you can throw more money into that than you might expect
No one has ever proven I am not God.
June 27th, 2016 at 7:06:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 119
When I was a kid I used to dream about having something like this in my basement.

https://youtu.be/K1xpbR3cAwY?t=94
No one has ever proven I am not God.