General science thread

Page 44 of 44« First<41424344
April 10th, 2024 at 3:37:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Wait for the headlines when Ozempic turns out to have *bad* unintended long term consequences
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 10th, 2024 at 4:17:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 190
Quote: odiousgambit
Wait for the headlines when Ozempic turns out to have *bad* unintended long term consequences

Depending on who you are, you can get in serious trouble consuming a peanut, so I suppose as more and more people try it we may see some things even the clinical trials didn't pick up on. I've already seen an "injury" lawyer practice asking to be called if they have any problems with this class of drugs.

I don't think a lawsuit has much chance of success if the actual side effect has already been made available as a warning.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 2nd, 2024 at 2:43:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

Amateur archaeologists in England have unearthed one of the largest Roman dodecahedrons ever found, but mystery surrounds what it was actually used for.
The 12-sided object is one of just 33 known to exist in Roman Britain, and one of approximately 130 in the world. It is considered “one of archaeology’s great enigmas,” according to the Norton Disney History and Archaeology Group, an amateur group based in the English region of Lincolnshire where it was found in June.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2024 at 5:35:46 AM permalink
rxwine
I have seen Creationist point out the difficulty or odds against life creation.

But science keep chugging along fortunately.

Quote:
Building pantetheine was a tall order. For one, the molecule was “quirky” by biochemistry standards, he said. It closely resembled the structure of peptides (chains of amino acids) used to build proteins, but it had many weird characteristics — unusual elements that were in odd places — that appeared to give it a more complicated structure.

The compound is such an odd duckling that scientists previously proposed it was too intricate to make from basic molecules. Others have tried to create pantetheine and failed, thinking that it wasn’t even present at life’s origins.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/how-did-life-on-earth-begin-the-chemical-puzzle-just-became-clearer/ar-BB1j6MH4?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=fca6bb2ec3064813acc98cb28ac11bc9&ei=33
June 10th, 2024 at 3:00:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Ai reveals elephants have names they use to call each other. Only other animal besides humans to invent and use names for individuals.
June 29th, 2024 at 4:40:49 PM permalink
rxwine
water extraction system from air developed by MIT researchers¹².

The system is designed to extract drinkable water directly from the air, even in dry regions, using heat from the sun or another source¹². The initial design was based on a material called a metal-organic framework (MOF), which collects liquid on its surface¹². This material would draw in moisture from the air at night and release it the next day when heated by sunlight¹².

However, MOFs were found to be expensive and limited in supply, and the system's water output was not sufficient for practical use¹². To address these issues, the researchers incorporated a second stage of desorption and condensation and used a readily available adsorbent material¹².

The new design uses an adsorbent material called a zeolite, composed of a microporous iron aluminophosphate¹². This material is widely available, stable, and has the right adsorbent properties to provide an efficient water production system based just on typical day-night temperature fluctuations and heating with sunlight¹².

The two-stage design developed by Alina LaPotin makes clever use of the heat that is generated whenever water changes phase¹². The sun's heat is collected by a solar absorber plate at the top of the box-like system and warms the zeolite, releasing the moisture the material has captured overnight¹². That vapor condenses on a collector plate — a process that releases heat as well¹². The heat of condensation is used to release the vapor from the subsequent layer¹². Droplets of water collected from each of the two layers can be funneled together into a collecting tank¹².

This system could potentially become a practical water source for remote regions with limited access to water and electricity¹².
June 29th, 2024 at 4:41:51 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 53
Quote: rxwine
water extraction system from air developed by MIT researchers¹².

Wow, they discovered condensation.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 29th, 2024 at 4:59:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
Wow, they discovered condensation.

True, but it's supposed to be able to provide a liter and a half of condensation per day.
June 30th, 2024 at 5:46:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 53
Quote: rxwine
True, but it's supposed to be able to provide a liter and a half of condensation per day.

Living in Florida I would guess my drinking glasses produce more than a liter of condensation each day.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 44 of 44« First<41424344