What Are You Reading

Page 8 of 8« First<5678
June 1st, 2024 at 12:44:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Flaubert, Madame Bovary

sample: gradually her ideas took definite shape, and, sitting on the grass that she dug up with little prods of her sunshade, Emma repeated to herself, “Good heavens! Why did I marry?”

She asked herself if by some other chance combination it would have not been possible to meet another man; and she tried to imagine what would have been these unrealised events, this different life, this unknown husband. All, surely, could not be like this one. He might have been handsome, witty, distinguished, attractive ... But she—her life was cold as a garret whose dormer window looks on the north, and ennui, the silent spider, was weaving its web in the darkness in every corner of her heart.

[the spider bit I thought was good especially]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 1st, 2024 at 4:42:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 74
Quote: Gandler
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/7672

Congo by Michael Crichton.

I know that it does not have great reviews, but I enjoyed it. It is a great adventure book, and being published in 1980, and being technology focused, it is interesting seeing the contrast. Scratches some of the same itches as The Lost World (Conan Doyle, not Crichton, never actually read the Cricton one.)

I read it
I liked it
I loved everything from Crichton
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2024 at 5:55:35 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
I read it
I liked it
I loved everything from Crichton

I still want to read Jurassic Park, this (Congo) is the only book that I have read by him. And, I loved it.
Page 8 of 8« First<5678