350 tv series this year

Page 1 of 212>
December 14th, 2014 at 11:09:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

According to Variety research, broadcast and cable networks this year have aired 145 scripted original primetime series and miniseries, a 14% increase over the same frame in 2013. At least 350 new and returning scripted series have been ordered for the 2014-15 television cycle (including summer 2015), and that’s not including digital outlets.

I doubt that anyone can name half of those series.

NBC has given up on SITCOMS on thursday after 40 years and some of the most popular sitcoms in history (Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends, Cosby, A Different World, The Office, etc). They are burning through their remaining three sitcoms on Tuesday night with the final 13 episodes of Parks and Recreation being aired two per night over a 6 week period.
December 15th, 2014 at 5:22:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
People on the Party Circuit in Washington, DC have "briefers" that give them a summary of the news, current events, Pop Culture, etc. so they get the cream for their party chatter.

Us peons will be left to Artificial Intelligence programs that suggest to us which tv series might appeal to us based upon our viewing habits. You Tube does this, Netflix does this, etc. I once put Nocturnal Infrared Viewer in my Google subject line just to see what would happen and I still get ads pushed to me about such gear years later.

I just wish Artificial Intelligence programs could learn that men don't watch Linda Fiorentino movies because they like the plot.
December 15th, 2014 at 6:46:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
According to Variety research, broadcast and cable networks this year have aired 145 scripted original primetime series and miniseries, a 14% increase over the same frame in 2013.

I thought the networks and cable were dead because of the internet or something...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 15th, 2014 at 10:43:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I thought the networks and cable were dead because of the internet or something...

I think it is more correct to say that collectively they have little or no growth potential, not that they are dead.

But a handful of these series are only streamed over the internet. There are a lot of animated series that are web based, and Tina Fey's new sitcom will be on Netflix. Community, which ran for years on NBC has just been taken over by Yahoo.

Partly the number of series is an attempt to give each cable network a distinct personality. AMC has Walking Dead, one of the most successful series cable or network. Cable series do not have viewership for the premier show, but they have multiple airings. Pay channels like HBO and Showtime have very expensive series, but they are counting on long haul return on investment (DVD sales and years of viewing). All networks have to prepare for the day that consumers will be able to purchase tv and select their own channels. If you are known as a channel that just shows reruns, then people won't select you.

1. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 23.1 million
2. NCIS (CBS) 22.4 million
3. Sunday Night Football (NBC) 21.7 million
4. The Walking Dead (AMC) 18.3 million
5. NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) 17.9 million
6. The Blacklist (NBC) 16.9 million
7. Person of Interest (CBS) 16.2 million
8. Dancing With the Stars (ABC) 15.5 million
9. Blue Bloods (CBS) 15.2 million
10. The Voice (Monday) (NBC) 14.7 million
11. Criminal Minds (CBS) 14.4 million
12. Castle (ABC) 14.3 million
13. Modern Family (ABC) 14.1 million
14. The Voice (Tuesday) (NBC) 14.0 million
15. Monday Night Football (ESPN) 13.7 million
16. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS) 13.4 million
tie, Elementary (CBS) 13.4 million
18. Downton Abbey (PBS) 13.2 million
19. Scandal (ABC) 13.0 million
tie, Resurrection (ABC) 13.0 million
21. Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) 12.9 million
22. Grey's Anatomy (ABC) 12.4 million
23. The Mentalist (CBS) 12.3 million
24. The Millers (CBS) 12.2 million
tie, 60 Minutes (CBS) 12.2 million
26. American Idol (Wednesday) (Fox) 12.1 million
27. The Good Wife (CBS) 11.9 million
28. American Idol (Thursday) (Fox) 11.5 million
tie, Sleepy Hollow (Fox) 11.5 million
30. Survivor (CBS) 11.4 million
tie, Two and a Half Men (CBS) 11.4 million
32. How I Met Your Mother (CBS) 11.3 million
33. Duck Dynasty (A&E) 11.1 million
34. Chicago Fire (NBC) 10.7 million
35. The Crazy Ones (CBS) 10.5 million
36. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) 10.4 million
37. Mike & Molly (CBS) 10.2 million
tie, Intelligence (CBS) 10.2 million
39. 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 10.0 million
40. Once Upon a Time (ABC) 9.6 million
tie, The Bachelor (ABC) 9.6 million
tie, The Amazing Race (CBS) 9.6 million
tie, 24: Live Another Day (Fox) 9.6 million
44. Unforgettable (CBS) 9.3 million
tie, Bones (Friday) (Fox) 9.3 million
46. Mom (CBS) 9.2 million
tie, Chicago PD (NBC) 9.2 million
tie, The Middle (ABC) 9.2 million
49. Law & Order: SVU (NBC) 9.1 million
tie, Undercover Boss (CBS) 9.1 million

But scripted TV is expensive to make compared to showing re-runs, reality or talk shows. So with hundreds of series having less than 5 million viewers there is pressure on the base price of Cable TV.
December 15th, 2014 at 11:41:55 AM permalink
Nareed
If you are known as a channel that just shows reruns, then people won't select you.

I'd pay for a rerun channel if they showed series I want to see, like the old Perry Mason show, TZ, M*A*S*H, and a few others.

Quote:
But scripted TV is expensive to make compared to showing re-runs, reality or talk shows. So with hundreds of series having less than 5 million viewers there is pressure on the base price of Cable TV.

Yes, but scripted TV is worth watching.

Seriously, I don't see any reality shows, ever. Perhaps you could classify Mythbusters and Pawn Stars as such, though they lack the voyeuristic, behind the curtain quality that's the focus of most "reality" TV (from what I hear about it). Ok, Pawn Stars has its manufactured, badly scripted, voyeurism. But that's not why I watch it.

You know what's missing right now? A good courtroom drama. The latter ones tend to focus more on the characters outside of the job. Older iterations, like LA Law and The Practice, managed to develop characters while keeping the action in the courtroom going on all the time.

The problem with streaming TV over the net is the lack of programs available. Sure, in the US there's plenty, but not so in other countries. Even within the US, you need to pay various sources for programming. What would be good, would be an aggregator who charges a flat fee and gives you access to original programing from Netflix, Amazon, etc. You know, like a cable company does? ;)
December 15th, 2014 at 12:16:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The problem with streaming TV over the net is the lack of programs available. Sure, in the US there's plenty, but not so in other countries. Even within the US, you need to pay various sources for programming. What would be good, would be an aggregator who charges a flat fee and gives you access to original programing from Netflix, Amazon, etc. You know, like a cable company does? ;)

The two are moving closer in technology. About 4 years our cable company switched to all digital. For the last two years it is possible to bring the signal in to the primary box using coaxial cable, but it can be distributed throughout the house using routers and Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable or wireless (Apple products only).

December 15th, 2014 at 12:33:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Apparently if a show can draw a paltry 2mil
viewers a week, advertisers will pay enough
to make it profitable. It's like this. You can
gold mine on huge scale, but you have to
find a lot of gold to support the infrastructure.

Or you can mine with two people with a small
trommel and no overhead. You won't get
rich but you can live well if you have a good
claim.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 15th, 2014 at 2:24:40 PM permalink
Nareed
The two are moving closer in technology. About 4 years our cable company switched to all digital. For the last two years it is possible to bring the signal in to the primary box using coaxial cable, but it can be distributed throughout the house using routers and Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable or wireless (Apple products only).

Not what I meant.

If you want to see "Orange is the New Black," you need a Netflix subscription. if you want to see "Transparent," you need either an Amazon Prime subscription or you have to pay per episode or something. And so it goes with ever more providers of original streaming content. In a few months you'll either pay several services or miss out.

It would be very convenient to have a one-stop, or one-subscription, provider with one fee and access to everything you want.
December 15th, 2014 at 3:15:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
It would be very convenient to have a one-stop, or one-subscription, provider with one fee and access to everything you want.

Well I don't think that there will ever be "one fee" that provides access to all video. If there is, that fee will be so high that only an elite few could afford it.

But once most of the transmissions are digital, and inside the home they can be handled by networks than you can create a shopping place. Old re-runs can be watched for just your time viewing advertisements. There should be options to pay a fee and watch it commercial free. Then there should be options to pay one price and be interrupted by one commercial every break, and another option to be interrupted by 5 commercials every break.

You can also just do an swap. You buy a product and it comes with a certain amount of commercial free viewing time. It seems to be easier than watching commercials trying to persuade you to buy a product. In some areas of the USA you can now shop for electricity providers (from 20 or 30 companies). In Philadelphia they are experimenting with linking television subscription with your choice of electric providers. So there is always the possibility of linking video with other service providers (like heating oil or airline tickets).

I think people will eventually pay for holograms. They can create an image of Oprah Winfrey sitting at a table and talking directly to them.
December 15th, 2014 at 3:23:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I think people will eventually pay for holograms. They can create an image of Oprah Winfrey sitting at a table and talking directly to them.

Good god, what a terrifying thought..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>