R-ACE-ism, divorce, religion

Page 1 of 212>
January 8th, 2015 at 1:21:18 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So I have this case…
I represent hubby (white)
Wife is black (actually from Africa)

When the case hagen, she cursed me int he courtroom stating that, because I Was a divorce attorney, God would "smite me"
Then, as the case progressed, I sent an email to her attorney (I guess God will not smite them) asking for an inventory of assets in the marital residence…
Apparently, her attorney forwarded the request, thusly allowing access to my email address to the wife
She replied with an entire diatribe that I was a racist for asking for the inventory of the house
Fast forward to earlier today when attorneys and parties were meeting for a conference…during the conference, she accused me of being a bully
I told her that she needed to stop defaming me and that I was still waiting for an apology for her calling me racist
She then said that I’ll be waiting a long time
So, for dramatic effect, I stood up and grabbed my coat and stated that until she apologizes I am leaving the meeting
I walked out and, as I did, announced to everyone in the courthouse cafeteria to be careful what they say because Al Sharpton would be around soon…
After a few minutes, my client came out to the hallway and we went back in—

She then began talking about how she is a christian (because the religion the children will be raised in was being discussed)
I asked her if accusing people of falsities is a christian thing to do
she reiterated that I didn't know what I was talking about and told me to "stop being a bully"

Am I wrong here?
January 8th, 2015 at 1:53:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It sounds like you are doing your job
and she's a few bricks shy of a full
load. Good luck with that. People
like that can hurt you, stab you if
they get mad enough. Never see her
outside the courthouse, it sounds like
she is blaming you for everything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 8th, 2015 at 1:56:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'm not an attorney but AFIK what she did was ex parte communication and could jeopardize her position. I would also inform her counsel and ask him or her to explain what can bring a defamation suit should you want to bring one. As that email has a chance of being in the public record she should be careful before tossing around that kind of thing.

It seems to me that you were just doing your job asking for the inventory. Trust me, there is no use arguing with an emotional woman. There is no use arguing with a person who thinks everything against them is racist. I am thankful I never had to deal with both in one person.

I would tell her counsel to please ask her not to talk to you directly either verbal or written and to ask any questions or make any comments through them as she has shown she is willing to make defamatory statements. Then ignore her and do not worry about it. Those who charge "racism" at every turn have nothing intelligent to offer which is why they do it.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2015 at 2:42:18 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: AZDuffman
I'm not an attorney but AFIK what she did was ex parte communication and could jeopardize her position. I would also inform her counsel and ask him or her to explain what can bring a defamation suit should you want to bring one. As that email has a chance of being in the public record she should be careful before tossing around that kind of thing.

It seems to me that you were just doing your job asking for the inventory. Trust me, there is no use arguing with an emotional woman. There is no use arguing with a person who thinks everything against them is racist. I am thankful I never had to deal with both in one person.

I would tell her counsel to please ask her not to talk to you directly either verbal or written and to ask any questions or make any comments through them as she has shown she is willing to make defamatory statements. Then ignore her and do not worry about it. Those who charge "racism" at every turn have nothing intelligent to offer which is why they do it.

She copied me on an email to her attorney - the racism comment occurred therein. Yes, she should not be communicating with me (but, it is the attorney and Judge that can get in trouble for communicating with a represented party, not the party themselves)
Got to love those rules!
January 8th, 2015 at 3:08:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: aceofspades
She copied me on an email to her attorney - the racism comment occurred therein. Yes, she should not be communicating with me (but, it is the attorney and Judge that can get in trouble for communicating with a represented party, not the party themselves)
Got to love those rules!

I misunderstood how the email flow went. Being the case that she did it to the attorney, though, seems to me you would have more grounds for a defamation suit. Not that you would file one, just to tell her to STFU.

Interesting on the rules. I can only figure the logic is "the attorneys and judges should know better." And of course, she talks to you and unless what comes out of your mouth is "ex parte" YOU get in trouble, not her.

No offense, I will just stick to reading the transcripts after the fact. The crap I see is depressing enough to read, I cannot imagine hearing it firsthand. To the readers not in the legal profession, believe us when we say family law lowers your opinion of the human race.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2015 at 3:15:10 PM permalink
aceofspades
I misunderstood how the email flow went. Being the case that she did it to the attorney, though, seems to me you would have more grounds for a defamation suit. Not that you would file one, just to tell her to STFU.

Interesting on the rules. I can only figure the logic is "the attorneys and judges should know better." And of course, she talks to you and unless what comes out of your mouth is "ex parte" YOU get in trouble, not her.

No offense, I will just stick to reading the transcripts after the fact. The crap I see is depressing enough to read, I cannot imagine hearing it firsthand. To the readers not in the legal profession, believe us when we say family law lowers your opinion of the human race.

I did threaten to sue her today and she said "go away bully".

Amazing that if a man said that to me, we would be throwing down…but, women know they can say belittling stuff to men with impunity.*

*and no, I am not advocating for violence at all, merely an observation
January 8th, 2015 at 3:25:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I did threaten to sue her today and she said "go away bully".

Amazing that if a man said that to me, we would be throwing down…but, women know they can say belittling stuff to men with impunity.

Sounds to me like she needs a cease and desist letter of some kind. Can work wonders. Had a roommate who moved out from the landlord. Mexicans working on houses broke a window. Or at least that is what we think happened. Kid kept his security deposit. Roommate writes a lawsuit. Roommates partner asks roommate why on earth the kid would keep $150 from the one renter who was an attorney. $5,000 defamation lawsuit arrives and kid calls, going crazy. Roommate gets his cash back.

Same kid tried to charge me for a door that a third roommate broke by accident. I tell kid other guy broke it and in any case we priced it and a new door was $18 at THD. By now the kid is legally afraid to go with being physically afraid of us. He probably never rented to guys over 35 again.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2015 at 3:29:36 PM permalink
aceofspades
Sounds to me like she needs a cease and desist letter of some kind. Can work wonders. Had a roommate who moved out from the landlord. Mexicans working on houses broke a window. Or at least that is what we think happened. Kid kept his security deposit. Roommate writes a lawsuit. Roommates partner asks roommate why on earth the kid would keep $150 from the one renter who was an attorney. $5,000 defamation lawsuit arrives and kid calls, going crazy. Roommate gets his cash back.

Same kid tried to charge me for a door that a third roommate broke by accident. I tell kid other guy broke it and in any case we priced it and a new door was $18 at THD. By now the kid is legally afraid to go with being physically afraid of us. He probably never rented to guys over 35 again.

Some people are idiots.
Correction…most people are idiots…present company excluded
January 8th, 2015 at 3:36:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Correction…most people are idiots…

Which explains the delightful state of the world today ;)

I do know the division of assets is an important part of any divorce. That being the case, asking for an accounting of all assets should be as routine as yelling at the soon-to-be-ex.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 8th, 2015 at 3:45:35 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Nareed
Which explains the delightful state of the world today ;)

I do know the division of assets is an important part of any divorce. That being the case, asking for an accounting of all assets should be as routine as yelling at the soon-to-be-ex.

In the 21st century, everything is racist.
Page 1 of 212>