South America?

Page 4 of 5<12345>
January 14th, 2015 at 12:29:51 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
These expressions were not developed logically. "Europe" is from the 6th century BC. Marco Polo returned from Asia in the early 14th century and widely exposed Europeans to the Chinese culture. Sub-Saharan Africa was explored in the 15th century, and the New world became well known in the 16th century. Australia discovered in the 17th century, and Antarctica in visited in the 18th century.

The word "continent" entered the English language in the 16th century. I think it was only in the 20th century that some people decided it wasn't logical to use a mountain range as a division between continents in one case, and an ocean in others.

The word "American" was a word which gave the British colonial citizens of the new world a unique identity . It was only after the country was named that some people began to point out that the name belonged to everyone in the new world. In early 19th century the French raised the point, in late 19th century it was raised by Latin American intellectuals. AFIK no Canadian has ever objected to the exclusive use of the word by US citizens.

As soon as I become Canadian, I will object to it, just for you, Paco :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 14th, 2015 at 1:19:08 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
AFIK no Canadian has ever objected to the exclusive use of the word by US citizens.

Although it is no longer a major source of agnst for me the use "American" to mean only citizens of the USA used to really bother me. This change is probably because as I have aged very little gets under my skin now.

I believe I raised some objection to the use of the term in a post on WOV several years ago although I can't be bothered searching for it. Without finding the thread Paco I don't know if you were part of the discussion or not.

And yes, as most on this forum know, I am a Canadian.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 14th, 2015 at 4:02:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think in Latin America we in the USA and Canada are referred to as Norte Americanos but remember that I Am Not A Mexican blog post wherein so many different terms existed for various races and regions that even the Mexicans were joking that Americans thought that New Mexico was a foreign country.
January 14th, 2015 at 6:25:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
Although it is no longer a major source of agnst for me the use "American" to mean only citizens of the USA used to really bother me.
I am a Canadian.

I stand corrected. I have never heard or read of any Canadians objecting to the co-option of the demonym "Americans" until now.

I must correct my earlier statement. I said earlier the 13 colonies were all named after some place or person in Britain
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia

I realized that I was wrong. At least one of the 13 colonies was given a local name. I am trying to do this without googling, so there could be more than one.

Connecticut
January 14th, 2015 at 8:52:06 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I stand corrected. I have never heard or read of any Canadians objecting to the co-option of the demonym "Americans" until now.

I must correct my earlier statement. I said earlier the 13 colonies were all named after some place or person in Britain
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia

I realized that I was wrong. At least one of the 13 colonies was given a local name. I am trying to do this without googling, so there could be more than one.

Connecticut

I would have guessed Massachusetts
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 14th, 2015 at 9:29:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
. I am trying to do this without googling, so there could be more than one.

Connecticut

OK, I did say I didn't Google. My memory is bad. So there are at least two colonies.

But my basic point was that there was no way easy way to refer to yourself, and indicate that you were not just a subject of King George's while still living in the New world without calling yourself "An American".

Even the Declaration of Independence is clear that they are separate governments:
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America.
=========================
Although South Americans are less than 6% of the 50,477,594 Latinos in the 2010 census, they did double in only 10 years.

South American origin of Latinos in USA (2000 to 2010 )1,353,562 to 2,769,434 with roughly 1 million from Colombia.

Rates of population increase from 2000 to 2010
4 .9% Not Hispanic or Latino
35 .7% Puerto Rican
43 .0% Hispanic or Latino in total
43 .8% Cuban
54 .1% Mexican
104 .6% South American
137 .0% Central American (excludes Mexican)
January 14th, 2015 at 9:35:09 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I wonder if this is one too
Delaware - Wasn't a tribe of Indians called the "Delaware Tribe"

For the purpose of the census, where does South America stop, and Central America begin? Is Columbia the northern border of SA?
January 15th, 2015 at 2:29:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
I wonder if this is one too ...
No the Indian tribe and the state are named for a Brit who was here for less than 2 years.

Quote: Ayecarumba
For the purpose of the census, where does South America stop, and Central America begin? Is Columbia the northern border of SA?

The US census defines Colombia as SA, and Panama as central America.

Growth rates among Asians are as high as Latinos, but with about a third as many total

45.6% Asian alone or in combination == 17.3 million in 2010
15.4% Black or African American alone or in combination == 42 million in 2010
January 15th, 2015 at 10:01:29 AM permalink
TheCesspit
. I am trying to do this without googling, so there could be more than one.

Connecticut

OK, I did say I didn't Google. My memory is bad. So there are at least two colonies.

No worries, just when I saw the list that would have been my guess. I didn't google either :)

Quote:

But my basic point was that there was no way easy way to refer to yourself, and indicate that you were not just a subject of King George's while still living in the New world without calling yourself "An American".

Even the Declaration of Independence is clear that they are separate governments:
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America.

How odd it would have been if it had been more of a Balkanized country, at least for a longer period than originally after the War of Independence.
January 15th, 2015 at 12:04:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
How odd it would have been if it had been more of a Balkanized country, at least for a longer period than originally after the War of Independence.

I think only the intellectuals thought about one country. But the 6 years of war, followed by another 6 years of negotiations brought the general populace together. Also the personal magnetism of George Washington. The country grew from 2.5 million to 4.0 million in the 14 years between the declaration and the new county and the first census. So there were a lot of new immigrants and young people who were more exposed to a unified states.

The adoption of the name "Americans" and the glorification of Amerigo Vespucci and Christopher Columbus helped the new country develop heroes that were unrelated to the British. In the 19th century Christopher Columbus was virtually worshiped, and people seemed blissfully unconcerned that he had never been here.

The story about the King refusing to fund CC because his advisers believed he would sail off the edge of the world is pure hokum. The story was invented to make CC look smarter than everyone else. No educated person believed in a flat earth in 1492. The advisers to King Ferdnand and Queen Isabella actually said that he would starve long before reaching Asia. It was CC who was delusional about the size of the Earth.
Page 4 of 5<12345>