Phrases or quotations that don't mean what they literally say.

Page 1 of 212>
February 4th, 2015 at 5:00:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I came across this one in an alternate history novel about the US Civil War.

Robert E. Lee says "It's good that war is so terrible, else we would grow fond of it."

Ok. Literally, if war wasn't so terrible, what harm would there be in growing fond of it? Think playing laser tag or paintball. It's not terrible at all. What the phrase really means is "It's good we deem war to be so terrible, else we would grow fond of it."

Of course irony carries a contrary meaning. So this quote attributed to Mark Twain (but probably not made by him): "The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco" makes perfect sense.

Anyone else?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 4th, 2015 at 5:06:23 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
A gazillion yogi's out there. He was the master.
here's a couple off the top of my head.

"Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded."
"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical."
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2015 at 5:09:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
"Head over heels in love."

At least I always question it. I mean, your head is normally over your heels anyway. Heels over head is more like love. People are stupid goofy when in love. At least young lovers often are.

I seem to remember there is another explanation as well which probably makes sense.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 4th, 2015 at 5:26:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
"Head over heels in love."

At least I always question it. I mean, your head is normally over your heels anyway.

Good one.

There's a song by the Go Gos named "Head over Heels." I like it, but the phrase never makes sense to me either.

Like this:

Head over heels
But if I go, can't stop myself
Out of control
Head over heels
No time to think
It's like the whole world's
Out of sync.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 4th, 2015 at 7:21:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The lack of money is the root of all evil.

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Mark Twain for both.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 4th, 2015 at 10:22:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
The lack of money is the root of all evil.
Mark Twain would never have lacked for money. He and two other prospectors filed what later became known as The Comstock Lode. Each of three thought the others would do the initial proving up work and when ten days went by with no activity on the site, the other miners filed on the claim and prevailed.
February 5th, 2015 at 12:02:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Mark Twain would never have lacked for money. He and two other prospectors filed what later became known as The Comstock Lode. Each of three thought the others would do the initial proving up work and when ten days went by with no activity on the site, the other miners filed on the claim and prevailed.

Twain was an idiot in business. As I said,
he could have got in on the ground floor
of Bell Telephone but couldn't see a
practical use for the contraption. Are you
kidding me? He thought it would be
limited to women making doctors appointments
and ordering a bag of groceries from the
market. Great authors are often huge business
failures.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2015 at 12:13:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, I'd look like a genius if I knew which one of the IPOs was going to blow up years later and which ones were going to go kaput.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2015 at 12:25:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Well, I'd look like a genius if I knew which one of the IPOs was going to blow up years later and which ones were going to go kaput.

How much imagination does it take to realize
that being able to speak with someone 200
miles away would have tremendous advantages?
Twain couldn't see it.
February 5th, 2015 at 2:27:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
How much imagination does it take to realize
that being able to speak with someone 200
miles away would have tremendous advantages?
Twain couldn't see it.

Actually lots of people didn't see it. When the phone came out you could already send the telegraph for important things, why would you need to call that far to yack about nothing?

History is filled with missed things that later became obvious. USA companies invented the VCR but wondered why people would tape shows? GM and Ford both figured minivan sales would not work because van buyers thought it was too small. How many others?
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>