Is this a pleaonasm?

Page 2 of 2<12
February 13th, 2015 at 7:33:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
This illustrates radical differences in culture.

Partly that is true, but there is also a great deal of mythology. Washington was never really offered a monarchy (despite the stories), and he may have resigned after 8 years because of poor health.

At the beginning of the USA as a nation on April 30, 1789 the population was almost 4 million, not radically different than the roughly 7 million Mexican population when Augustine I of Mexico was crowned 19 May 1822. But the American population was 95% rural, while Mexico had major cities and power centers. The more urban civilization was more naturally attracted to the dominant form of government at the time.

But Mexico is always made out to be enamored of generals (mostly because of Santa Anna). In reality, about half of the original US presidents were generals including six in a row after the civil war. Other than Eisenhower, the modern presidents were not generals.

George Washington (1732–1799) GENERAL
John Adams (1735–1826)
Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826)
James Madison (1751–1836)
James Monroe (1758–1831)
John Quincy Adams (1767–1848)
Andrew Jackson(1767–1845) GENERAL
Martin Van Buren (1782–1862)
William Henry Harrison (1773–1841) GENERAL
John Tyler (1790–1862)
James K. Polk (1795–1849)
Zachary Taylor (1784–1850) GENERAL
Millard Fillmore (1800–1874)
Franklin Pierce (1804–1869) GENERAL
James Buchanan (1791–1868)
Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865)
Andrew Johnson (1808–1875) GENERAL
Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885) GENERAL
Rutherford B. Hayes (1822–1893) GENERAL
James A. Garfield (1831–1881) GENERAL
Chester A. Arthur (1829–1886) GENERAL
Benjamin Harrison (1833–1901) GENERAL
February 13th, 2015 at 9:58:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Partly that is true, but there is also a great deal of mythology. Washington was never really offered a monarchy (despite the stories),

There was much discussion on what type of government to adopt. A monarchy would have fit in with the times, while a republic was a radical notion. Had the US become the Kingdom of North America instead, Washington would have been King George I for sure.

I'd love to write an AH story along those lines. I'd have to read up on British and US history first, though. One thing I can imagine is having a King Robert keep the Kingdom together in the 1860s, compromising by abolishing slavery in stages over a period of ten years. That would be a cameo only, mentioned in passing as background.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 17th, 2015 at 1:08:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I'd love to write an AH story along those lines. I'd have to read up on British and US history first, though.

Tony Robinson (of Blackadder fame) did a popular documentary called "Britain's Real Monarch" where he traces an alternative history of British monarchy based on new evidence that back's the centuries old claim that Edward IV was illegitimate. He starts with Shakespeare's play Richard III that repeats the rumor that Edward was illegitimate, and goes into a document recently discovered.

Richard, 3rd Duke of York had four sons. Two were king, and the death of Richard III on battlefield (whose corpse was recently found under a car park) ended the Middle Ages in 1485.
  1. Edward IV of England
  2. Edmund, Earl of Rutland
  3. George, 1st Duke of Clarence
  4. Richard III of England

The alternate bloodline was well known to the Tudors. They ruthlessly murdered each generation of heir. Finally Elizabeth I was wary of their claim to the throne.

When Elizabeth fell ill with the smallpox in October 1562, Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon, was proposed as a successor. His brother Sir George Hastings, 4th Earl of Huntingdon died just after Elizabeth I. The clear succession of King James (King of Scotland) as King of England, meant that in actuality the families claim to the throne ended in reality.

George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, third son (second "legitimate" son) of Richard, 3rd Duke of York
Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick, first son of George
Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury, second daughter, fourth line of George
Henry Pole, 1st Baron Montagu, first son of Margaret
Henry Pole, second son of Henry
Catherine Hastings, first daughter, third line of Henry, 1st Baron Montagu
Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon, first son of Catherine
George Hastings, 4th Earl of Huntingdon, second son of Catherine
Francis Hastings, first son of George
Henry Hastings, 5th Earl of Huntingdon, only son of Francis
Ferdinando Hastings, 6th Earl of Huntingdon, first son of Henry
Theophilus Hastings, 7th Earl of Huntingdon, only son of Ferdinando
George Hastings, 8th Earl of Huntingdon, second son of Theophilus
Theophilus Hastings, 9th Earl of Huntingdon, third son of Theophilus
Francis Hastings, 10th Earl of Huntingdon, first son of Theophilus, 9th Earl
Elizabeth Rawdon, 16th Baroness Botreaux, only daughter, second line of Theophilus, 9th Earl
Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings, first son of Elizabeth
George Rawdon-Hastings, 2nd Marquess of Hastings, eldest legitimate son of Francis
Paulyn Rawdon-Hastings, 3rd Marquess of Hastings, first son of George
Henry Rawdon-Hastings, 4th Marquess of Hastings, second son of George
Edith Rawdon-Hastings, 10th Countess of Loudoun, first daughter, third line of George
Charles Rawdon-Hastings, 11th Earl of Loudoun, first son of Edith
Paulyn Francis Cuthbert Rawdon-Hastings, second son of Edith
Edith Maud Abney-Hastings, 12th Countess of Loudoun, first daughter, third line of Paulyn
Ian Huddleston Abney-Hastings, Lord Mauchline, only son of Edith
Barbara Abney-Hastings, 13th Countess of Loudoun, first daughter, second line of Edith
Michael Abney-Hastings, 14th Earl of Loudoun, eldest son of Barbara
Simon Abney-Hastings, 15th Earl of Loudoun, eldest son of Michael

King Simon (age 40) in Wangaratta Australia outside of Melbourne. The documentary was made the year after his grandmother died.
Page 2 of 2<12